Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Abortions for Some, Miniature Irish Flags for Others.
Abortions for Some, Miniature Irish Flags for Others.
As a bit of background. When the US was launching the Space Shuttle on its first flights, the Soviet Union was busy ossifiying and the New Wave was breaking across Europe's music scene, the Roman Catholic Church decided that it wasn't too happy with its influence on Irish society beginning to wane. The Magdalene laundries were still humming along, but there were some signs of reality breaking through A year before The Kerry Babies, and despite the Government opposing the motion, The Eighth Amendment to the Irish Constituion was passed by the good Catholic People of Ireland.

Effectively, it enshrined the prohibition on abortion into the Constitution.

It has somehow resited attempts to repeal it ever since, despite the best effort of everyone. Unfortunately with Brexit now a thing, the usual workaround may soon no longer be possible.

The next attempt comes in just over a fortnight.

And it's already gotten far more vicious than the usual.

There's no escaping the fact that one side in particular is getting funding from abroad. It's getting a lot of support from certain parts of the world were interfering in foreign referendums is the done thing.  Or as one Twitterbot so eloquently put it, "If they repeal the Eighth, what's to Stop them going after the Second?"

Right up until Google and Youtube shut that down. Even before that, the malign influence of foreign funding the campaign was visible across the intrnet in advertising spaces....   The Ad campaign has been utterly massive on a level that I haven't evber seen.

Needless to say, one side and one side alone has been screaming about it being unfair that they can't tap their massive base in that far foreign land. One is so utterly divorced from the reality of what's happening in the State that it still feels like it has a right to interfere in it becoming anything more than what their granpappy remembers it being.

... or maybe I'm just being bitter about how many canvassers have accents that're very distinctly west of fucking Garraun Point, who think they have a god given right to interfere.

Anyway. Some Choice headlines have already been generated:
Sex Slavery will be Normalised
Graphic posters outside Maternity hospital of aboiirted fetuses
Posters being faked.

But at least I wont have to look at dead babies on Reddit anymore.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
RE: Abortions for Some, Miniature Irish Flags for Others.
Would that base be Russia or the Vatican?

What? It's a valid question, Russia is surprisingly Orthodox Christian fundamentalist. The Catholic Church's opinion on the matter is known.
I think he means Irish Americans blindly contributing funds to various lobby groups in Ireland
hazard, I think Norgarth is almost certainly right.  I looked up Garraun Point, and it seems west of it there's lots and lots of Atlantic Ocean.  Sure, if you go west far enough, you'll eventually come to Russia and then can veer a bit south to Italy, but you'll definitely reach Canada (and the Divided States of America, if you swerve south) first.
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
that 'If they repeal the 8th amendment what's to stop them going after the 2nd?' line he mentioned was a big clue (because of course he average American is going to assume another country has the exact same amendments as the USA, in the exact same order Rolleyes )

I have no idea what Ireland's 2nd amendment is about, nor do I know what America's 8th amendment is about, and in that I am likely no worse off than the average American. Tongue
(05-09-2018, 06:57 PM)Norgarth Wrote: ...
I have no idea what Ireland's 2nd amendment is about,

A whole bunch of stuff, including "restrictions on the right to habeas corpus, an extension of the right of the government to declare a state of emergency, changes to provisions on the reference of bills to the Supreme Court by the President and various changes that were needed to bring the official Irish text of the constitution into line with the English text." Or, at least, so says Wikipedia.

(05-09-2018, 06:57 PM)Norgarth Wrote: nor do I know what America's 8th amendment is about, and in that I am likely no worse off than the average American. Tongue
Prohibition of cruel and unusual punishment, and a few related items. Again, according to Wikipedia.

Pretty important stuff in both cases, actually.

(Ah, I'm so lucky to live in Canada, where the Constitution has never been amended. Smile )
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Quote:I have no idea what Ireland's 2nd amendment is about, nor do I know what America's 8th amendment is about, and in that I am likely no worse off than the average American. Tongue
Wait, abortion counts as "cruel and unusual punishment"?  And yeah, I had to look up number 8.  At first I thought the US 8th was maybe the one on quartering soldiers, but that's the 4th.

It's kind of surprising how some of the amendments are central to our culture, and others are basically irrelevant.  The Ninth Amendment in the U.S. is basically the exception that proves the rule.
Number Nine Wrote:The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Not really. An 'exception that proves the rule' means that a given case or event tests a rule. The US 9th Amendment to the Constitution is 'just because we wrote all these rights down doesn't mean the list is exhaustive, and does not mean that just because any right we did not write down is not on the list it may be used as a reason to deny such an unwritten right to anyone.' It's not an exception clause, it's an inclusion clause.
Back to the original topic (sort of)... the annual "March for Life" is taking place in Ottawa today. Here's hoping I don't need to go downtown.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
They do get in the way some.

There is a proposal to allow citizens abroad to vote in referendums. I think, one look at the funding of this campaign, and how it's being run, should tell you everything you need to know about why that's a bad idea. You have millions of people who hjave no real understanding of the country beyond it being the hole their grandparents left - and sometimes it feels like they get dissapointed when it turns out it's not the utter hole they theyve been brought up thinking they escaped.

It is telling that only one side in the referendum is complaining about a private organisation imposing a ban on adverts funded by non-Irish entities - and are calling it an attempt to rig the election and are basically admitting that foreign-funded advertising has been a cornerstone of their campaign. If you're relying on metric fucktons of foreign money to buy the referendum, there's probably a lack of substance there somewhere, maybe it's not the people stopping you from doing it who're rigging the thing.

But that Irish American money is still being felt. There's 5 'No' leaflets been dropped in the door in the last week. While the ones through the door paint a picture of a happy mammy cradling a tummy  - they save the graphically aborted fetusus for the maternity hospitals. A handy thing to be confronted with when not everyone going to the Rotunda is going there for the good news....  

---

As a historical curiositry, the amendments to the Irish constitution have been as follows

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

I am staying out of this discussion for several reasons, the two most prominent being,
1. Not my country.
2. Not my body.

Even if my questionable morality had anything to say on the subject in general, those two reasons are enough for me to not be involved.

Add to that, arguing anything with an Irishman is a good way to end up hurt. Wink
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

https://liveblog.irishtimes.com/d1719622...dum-count/

Good for personal choice.
It's a fairly enthusiastic Yes, alright.

The sheer scale of it has taken the country by surprise. To the point where the exit polls were assumed to be wrong at first.

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2018/05...eferendum/

There's some interesting statistics that can be dug down. The majority of voters still identified as Catholic. Howerver, few 'Yes' voters regularly attended mass . On the other hand, No Voters were most likely to be elderly, and attend Mass at least once a week.

Meanwhile
American Conservatives who moved to Ireland claim referendum was rigged.

This, of course, ignores the constant reminders to ensure you were on the register of electors in the months beforehand (It takes 5 minutes online) because the process can make mistakes, and then subsequently, that there is actually a voter I.D. requirement that goes beyond just handing in the voting card at the desk.

Or, how about lying to immigration officials to come in and campaign

There're anecdotal reports of Americans setting up shop outside polling stations, in contravention of regulations, and being encouraged to move along by police before a posse of locals descended upon them.