Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Google Has Publicly Embraced The Dark Side
Google Has Publicly Embraced The Dark Side
Google Quietly Removes "Don't Be Evil" Preface From Code of Conduct

By sheerest coincidence, Chrome on my Android phone kept insisting this was a dangerous, untrusted site.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
RE: Google Has Publicly Embraced The Dark Side
It's saying the latter because you still don't have HTTPS support for your server.  This means that $NATIONAL_GOVT, $MONOPOLY_TELCO and $BLACK_HAT can inspect all of our traffic, including passwords, in the clear.

This is clearly bad, as only adtech and analytics scripts from Google should be able to spy on us.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Not this site, Brent -- the page at indpendent.co.uk where the article is.

I know this site still has no HTTPS support. I'm working on it.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(05-21-2018, 02:38 PM)Labster Wrote: It's saying the latter because you still don't have HTTPS support for your server.  This means that $NATIONAL_GOVT, $MONOPOLY_TELCO and $BLACK_HAT can inspect all of our traffic, including passwords, in the clear.

Meaning all of us who live in the U.S.A. are going to be disappeared to the camps for the things we've been saying about President Windrip.
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
You're kidding, right? El Trumpo and his bad hombres haven't displayed the basic competence needed to set up a dictatorship. It's like he values all of the things that strongmen can do in power, without being strong or smart enough himself to actually do it.
Okay, since this thread mutated from one about Google into one about Trump within a single message, I'm moving it into Politics so it can fester there.

Again, my initial point was not that Chrome on Android flagged accessdenied-rms.net as "unsafe", but the newspaper reporting on Google removing "Don't be evil" from its values.
-- Bob

Google does not fear the Dark Side as we do.

They just want to bring Freedom, Peace, and Security to their new empire!
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
Let's be honest, anyone that's been watching Googles behavior in the past knows that 'Don't be evil' was a leftover gag long since left to rot. They've got money to worry about!
(05-22-2018, 03:01 PM)SilverFang01 Wrote: Google does not fear the Dark Side as we do.

They just want to bring Freedom, Peace, and Security to their new empire!

Quote:“…What I’m trying to do here is move beyond those ideas [of Good and Evil] into a world where no one has any reason to fight one another.  But you can’t make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others.” 
      — Order of the Stick, Rich Burlew, 2010 

As you go through life in today’s world, there is one thing you should always remember:  There are other people in this world with you.  They are your enemies.  Destroy them.
I no longer trust Google to not be evil. But I still consider them neutral aligned, as opposed to Facebook, which is certainly evil. I mean, seriously, which extraterritorial Megacorp would you want to live in? Google, Microsoft, Aztechnology, or Facebook? The choice is pretty clear.
(05-23-2018, 11:16 PM)Labster Wrote: I no longer trust Google to not be evil.  But I still consider them neutral aligned, as opposed to Facebook, which is certainly evil.  I mean, seriously, which extraterritorial Megacorp would you want to live in?  Google, Microsoft, Aztechnology, or Facebook?  The choice is pretty clear.

A wise man once told me "The lesser of two evils is still evil."

Why live in an extraterritorial Megacorp at all?
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
[Image: hisonTj.jpg]
(05-23-2018, 11:16 PM)Labster Wrote: I no longer trust Google to not be evil.  But I still consider them neutral aligned, as opposed to Facebook, which is certainly evil.  I mean, seriously, which extraterritorial Megacorp would you want to live in?  Google, Microsoft, Aztechnology, or Facebook?  The choice is pretty clear.