Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whether this is true or not, it's still a great story
Whether this is true or not, it's still a great story
Okay, now I know some if not most of the folks here know by now the observation that H.L. Mencken made a century ago in one of his newspaper columns, which ends

Quote:As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

So, what I've heard from friends offline is that Trump has finally stumbled across this quote, and immediately demanded that his legal team sue Mencken for defamation of character.  And when told that Mencken wrote this in 1920 (and was dead, to boot), he insisted they sue the Mencken estate.

True or not, it paints such a perfect picture of the perfect storm of ignorance, arrogance and narcissism that is Trump that I couldn't help but pass it on.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
RE: Whether this is true or not, it's still a great story
That's the first I've heard of this... but you've got me curious enough that I just asked Snopes about it.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Oh, cool. I didn't think to do that, I was more delighted and entertained by the mere concept.

ETA: Honestly, I think if it actually happened we'd've seen it in the news by now. But like I said, even if it isn't literally true, it is still a true picture of the kind of thing Trump would do.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
So, have you heard anything back? (And say, didn't Snopes used to have a discussion forum? Or am I confusing it with another site?)
-- Bob

No reply yet - the "contact us" box gave me a confirmation message that gave me the feeling they get a lot of questions.

And I vaugely recall a forum there, too... but I didn't see one this month.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown