Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
That was meant to be easy!?!
That was meant to be easy!?!
Adding an all-in-one CPU water cooling kit to my PC. It wasn't! I bought one & brought it home, then attempted to install it. Nope! No points in the case to fasten the radiator to. Yay! Discovered that there is an optional mounting bracket, but no one locally has it. Not even the manufacturer has it. Double yay! Found one on eBay and two and bit weeks later the brackets turned up. 

I pull me pc apart again to finally instal the kit and discovered that the radiator won't fit as the brackets don't line up. I soon realized what the problem was, I'm trying fit a 140mm wide radiator in a space designed for 120mm. Triple yay! So I spent awhile working the problem and coming to the conclusion that the brackets just needed more holes, but how? Using a radiator fan as a template I drilled some holes, roughly. After some finessing I got the radiator mounted, the pc reassembled and running. 
Yet considering the trouble I had doing that & the fact there's no cable management, I suspect that I should get a new case. Yeah, that's going to be fu, doubt there's too many cases with 4 5&1/4 bays + hdd & can take a 280mm rad.
RE: That was meant to be easy!?!
Just an update, for some reason my graphics card's borked itself & caused a failure to boot. It's only a recent GTX1080Ti though I've been having Nvidia driver issues for a while. So at the moment, I'm on integrated graphics to get it stable then I'll go from there. It's looking like a new case will be wanted soon.

Edit: the failure to boot with GPU fitted issue, resolved by updating the BIOS, something I thought I'd all ready done, as I found a semi-recent BIOS firmware on the usb stick I used. Don't know how much longer I can update this motherboard as the last official BIOS update was released in 2013 and it's apparently a beta, but it works. Still having issues with running & installing Geforce Experience.
Why get a new case? Sounds to me like you can use an old 'Full Tower' case. I got one lying around with six 5.25" bays that I want to fit two of these into: https://www.ebay.com/itm/ICY-DOCK-Storag...3249901057

Basically I want to make it into a home server system that hosts my digital anime collection and uses the living room TV as the main monitor. Maybe even have a nice enough mobo and graphics card that I can also play games on it.
BA, finding a new to me case that'd do what I want has me looking at new as I'm not certain local eBay will have any at a reasonable price. The case I'm using now is a Silverstone TJ09, which was a step up from the old-school Lian Li I was using in the days of small video cards. Yet it has zero cable management and while there's some space between the video card & drive cages its still somewhat of an airflow blocking mess.