Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone interested in CYOAs here?
Anyone interested in CYOAs here?
I made a Cult DLC for Overlord's Arch-Demon CYOA to fill in a couple of things it mentions but doesn't cover, at least in the six pages I've been able to ind for it. The base game document is one of the more interesting ones I've seen, and doesn't involve mandatory evil despite the name.

It and my add-on are available in an Imgur gallery here, and my sample build in a pastebin or in this Spacebattles post.
--
‎noli esse culus
RE: Anyone interested in CYOAs here?
CYOA? "Cover Your Own Arse" - don't risk being the scapegoat?

(Okay, maybe I've been a bureaucrat for too long.)
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Choose Your Own Adventure - not like the classic books, but in the form of (usually point-buy) options that are more or less (often less, because game design is hard) balanced to create a character or pick a room mate/love interest/etc. which then nominally engage in some form of amusing hijinks, but usually just get a few minimal records of what options people picked posted to their web site of choice and forgotten. Some of them have been developed enough to be actual RPGs, like the Accidental magical Girl CYOA, others are close, the vast majority are "pick your waifu and get powers/loot/etc. for free" and at least pointedly hint at lewds here and there. Archdemon and most of the ones I consider really good are quite tame in the latter respect. There's a recurrent CYOA General thread on 4chan and a second specifically for the Jumpchain subgenre of them, and at least used to be one for the AMGCYOA I mentioned as well, there's also a reddit I can't remember the name of and a general thread on Spacebattles along with a lot of fics, quests, and even more first-chapter-character-creation-but-then-it-dies versions of both.

Very much a mixed bag, but the top percentiles are really amazing.
Valles' and Acyl's recent BT stories ('Tell The World That We Tried' and 'False Prophets' respectively) are both inspired by a CYOA Prompt
I did a new thing, superhero flavored. Since I don't actually care about having lots of images and all the feedback I've gotten on the image version of the Cult DLC is that it's ugly as sin, I've concluded that I should stick to making mostly text-form CYOAs. Here then is my first attempt at a brand new one of my own, pasted directly into the forum since I don't have anywhere good to host a PDF.

Seconds Count CYOA v1.1

Nose deep in the internets, you barely notice a shivery feeling like a cool breeze or a piece of sheer fabric brushing over you aside from an idle and quickly forgotten thought to adjust the thermostat, but the way your connection drops just seconds later is far more annoying. No amount of cursing or flipping the modem off and back on restores service though, and something annoyingly loud is happening outside to piss you off even more...

...until abruptly, it's INSIDE, as a dark haired teen girl crashes through the wall and literally falls into your lap amid a cloud of plaster dust and chunks of debris. It's not as fun as it might sound, since she's wearing a few bits of armor over a colorful costume and lands with bruising force. Fortunately nothing seems broken, but after shaking off the daze of the impact she stares up at you with a shocked expression.

"Wha... what are you doing here? The ward should have excluded everyone without powers!" she shouts. Before you have time to come up with a reaction to this, she wriggles out of your lap to sit on the floor and fumbles a ring off of each hand, then hurriedly passes them to you. They're simple bands of stainless steel decorated with black enamel highlighting the symbols of Mars and Venus, or possibly male and female. "Quick, put these on and kiss one to activate them, you won't last a minute without an active power and transforming your body!"

Which ring will you kiss?

[Image: NMFcQYR.png]

* Mars: The power of the rings hits you like an electric shock, but your reaction is drowned out by the surging feeling of strength that follows. Looking down at yourself, you find you now have the body of a young man just entering his physical prime. Your clothes have also changed into a snugly fitting body suit similar to what the girl is wearing under her (rather scant) armor.

* Venus: The power of the rings wraps around you like stepping into a hot bath, but your reaction is drowned out by the surging feeling of strength that follows. Looking down at yourself, you find you now have the body of a young woman just entering her physical prime. Your clothes have also changed into a snugly fitting body suit similar to what the girl is wearing under her (rather scant) armor.

* Dither and ask questions: The shadowy, glowing-eyed wolf-thing that leaps through the hole in the wall kills you with a single swipe of its paw. BAD END.

Hearing a growl from the new hole in your wall, you look up to see the shadowy outline of a huge wolf, its eyes burning with hateful red fire.

What power has awakened within you?

* Chi: Before you even realize what you're doing you're on your feet, while the girl scrambles out of the way on the floor with a squawk. With a nimble grace you'd never have imagined possessing before, you sway out of the path of its swipes and bite, before lashing out with a single punch that smashes its head and leaves only scattering patches of dark energy behind as it disintegrates. You receive Energized Body - Improved health, resilience, speed, and strength.

* Magic: A pale, glowing sphere of energy about the size of a grapefruit rises out of your chest, and you have the strangest sensation of seeing your own face as even as you look down at it. Both viewpoints whip back to the wolf-thing as it growls again and crouches, then the ball zips forward and flattens into a disc just in time to intercept its pounce and shove it back into the hole. The disc folds umbrella-style into a cone and then a blade as the thing jumps back up to its feet, and launches forward in a slash that splits the monster in half. Only scattering patches of dark energy are left behind as it disintegrates. You receive Familiar - A glowing orb you can see from, which can become a shield or a blade.

* Psychic: Your mind is amazingly clear for being in such a shocking situation, with a huge demonic wolf-thing growling at you through a hole in your wall. And yet, even with a perfected body, what can you do against a monster like that? "Stay there," you think urgently at it. "Don't attack, don't attack, don't attack, just sit there and leave us alone..." Unexpectedly, its eyes dim and it sinks back onto its haunches like a docile house pet. The girl who landed on you climbs to her feet and gives you an impressed nod before holding out one palm and blasting it with a glowing bullet. You almost feel like you could do something of the sort yourself, as the monster disintegrates into wisps of dark energy. You receive Telepathy - Communication, mind reading, and the ability to give commands.

"Wow, nice work for a total rookie," she says. "I'm Cerulean, but there's no time for proper introductions right now; there's a lot more of those Shadow Wolves and their master is still outside." Touching a hand to her temple, she continues in a distracted voice that seems to echo in your head somehow, "Verte, Carmine, you've mastered your tokens, right? Hurry over to me while Jetta and Citrine hold him for a minute, I need you to help finish setting up a newbie whose dormant power left 'em inside the ward."

Turning her full attention back to you, Cerulean asks, "While they're on the way, where do you see yourself in a fight?"

* Assault: Getting in their face and attacking until one of you falls. Cerulean gives you her arrowhead pendant to wear when her friends arrive.

* Defense: Intercepting and disrupting their attacks until you wear them down. Carmine gives you her shield pendant to wear when she arrives.

* Support: Helping your allies and attacking indirectly or at range. Verte gives you her teardrop pendant to wear when she arrives.

[Image: UFXZqhe.png]

Feeling a bit silly, you nonetheless wear the pendant you were given while the three young women hold hands in a circle around you, glowing auras forming around them and mixing together before flowing into you through the pendant charm that you're holding to your forehead. As it does, your mind fills with skills and techniques for how you can use the power that's now thrumming through your body. It's a confusing rush that'll take some time and a lot of practice to properly master, but you're confident that you could do the basics right now.

Considering that there are apparently still several more monsters and their boss running around, that's probably a good thing, though you're not at all eager to risk facing more of them alone. It seems you'll need to stick with these strange girls, at least for a little longer.

You are now a:

Chi powers:
Assault: Warrior - Massive speed and strength, flight, close-in energy attacks
Defense: Guardian - Massive health and resilience, presence/emotion sense
Support: Alchemist - Create potions and medicines, command lightning

Magic powers:
Assault: Elementalist - Walk the path of explosions with me! (fire/air/water/etc.)
Defense: Sorcerer - Area effects to help allies and trap or hinder enemies, HoTs & DoTs
Support: Witch - Directly heal, buff, and debuff, knockdown and stun-bolt attacks

Psychic powers:
Assault: Biokinetic - Rapid healing and shapeshifting, not so rapid used on others
Defense: Telekinetic - Invisible extra hands, mind bullets, shields, and levitation
Support: Clairvoyant - Precog, remote viewing, dowsing/finding, and teleportation

"Whew, that was more difficult than I expected. Anyway, while you'll need the rings and pendant for now to access the gender-swapping and class abilities, once you put in the practice to master them the items will no longer be necessary, and you'll be able to use weak forms of the other class abilities for your power type. The basic power and peak performance body are permanent, though!" Cerulean explains, with a perhaps inappropriate amount of cheer for someone telling you that your entire life has been changed and your body transformed to the point people will barely recognize you if at all.

"Okay, we'll split into pairs from here. Rookie, you're with -

* Carmine."
Class: Guardian
Personality: Energetic and a bit hot headed, Carmine acts like a tomboy most of the time but has a softer side in private. She's a surprisingly good cook.
Dislikes: Rap music, smokers, bland food

* Citrine."
Class: Witch
Personality: Spoiled and a little bossy, but cares deeply for her friends. Comes from a rich family. Organized and good at maths.
Dislikes: Pushy guys, paparazzi, being alone

* Jetta."
Class: Sorcerer
Personality: A very reliable person, Jetta will always keep a promise and never tell someone else's secret. Gets embarrassed by public shows of affection.
Dislikes: too-girly things, citrus fruits, pets that shed hair

* Verte."
Class: Alchemist
Personality: Shy and quiet, but often listens to heavy metal with her headphones. An excellent shot with pistols and rifles. Can utterly shred on an electric guitar.
Dislikes: Being photographed, earbuds, meaningless conversation

* Me."
Class: Biokinetic
Personality: Friendly and outgoing, has a way of taking charge without being obnoxious. Can only make the simplest foods without disaster.
Dislikes: Liars, coffee, morning people

The addition of your new powers seems to be decisive, where the girls were only holding their ground before the group now rolls up the Shadow Wolves easily before taking down their master. Your partner does have to get you out of a pinch a couple times, but as your first super-powered battle you think that's a decent performance, and you have a chance to return the favor by the time it's all over.

"You did well out there, Rookie," Cerulean compliments you. "These guys have been appearing a lot lately, so we could really use your help if you're willing to join our team."

Your partner from the battle gives you a sideways look and adds, "I know I'm in favor of making it a more... permanent arrangement."

What will you do now?