Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Montini: The feds lost – yes, lost – 1,475 migrant children
RE: Montini: The feds lost – yes, lost – 1,475 migrant children
Then this is likely a delaying tactic for them.

Give tempers time to cool down and outrage to end up spend. They can crank up the pressure after the cameras have left again.
All the more reason to keep the pressure on for the next three weeks.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Don't worry, the cheeto-fingered one will likely do something monumentally stupid to distract the news media again.....

Look, he was caught threatening Cheetos for making fun of his fingers and trying to get them arrested for lese-majeste. Everybody will be outraged at that and the real evil will continue in the background, utterly forgotten about because it's last week's scandle.

I'm itching to see what euphemism they can come up with for 'Concentration Camp'

Family centre?
Resettlement facility?
Mass transit temporary residence?

They're going to need somewhere to put all these people. Maybe somewhere like abandoned military bases or something - with a pre-established perimeter fence and suitable mass accomodations.

And there is that small problem of getting people to work on the local farms and the like. Aren't they having trouble getting people willing to work for farm-labourer pay these days? Prison labour's a thing, isn'it it?

Ohh this sounds soo familiar.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
CBC Opinion: Read this if you think the media covered Trump's migrant crisis unfairly

I looked at some of the links in this analysis.

I saw things I thought civilized countries put behind them decades ago.

This is the Sixties Scoop all over again.

God damn you to hell for doing this, Trump. (And that's my re-considered, measured reaction.)
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(06-21-2018, 03:18 PM)Dartz Wrote: I'm itching to see what euphemism they can come up with for 'Concentration Camp'

Family centre?
Resettlement facility?
Mass transit temporary residence?

They're going to need somewhere to put all these people. Maybe somewhere like abandoned military bases or something - with a pre-established perimeter fence and suitable mass accomodations.

And there is that small problem of getting people to work on the local farms and the like. Aren't they having trouble getting people willing to work for farm-labourer pay these days? Prison labour's a thing, isn'it it?

Ohh this sounds soo familiar.

Familiar indeed!

Fox News’s Laura Ingraham says immigrant child detention centers are ‘essentially summer camps’

Sessions: Migrant children facilities not like Nazi Germany because 'they were keeping the Jews from leaving'

Thousands of child migrants may soon be held on US military bases

And the cherry on top: ICE Director: ICE Can't Be Compared To Nazis Since We're Just Following Orders

And since no news are covering this:
Harold Feld Wrote:Senate Democrats put forward a bill to end Family Separation Policy.

Text of bill is here: https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-cong.../3036/text

Actually, Sen. Diane Feinstein introduced the bill on June 7. The news today is that the last D/Independent caucusing with Ds, Joe Mancin, signed on as cosponsor.

So that is 49 cosponsors. No Rs have voiced support.

What does the bill do? Funny thing, it *only* addresses family separation. That's it. It prohibits separating parents from children or underage siblings except under clearly defined circumstances. It establishes a general presumption that imprisonment is not in the best interest of the child. It requires a GAO report on prosecution of asylum seekers from 2008-18.

That's it. No gimmicks. No wall funding. No effort to change the existing appeals system in any way not related to ending the Family Separation policy. It does one thing -- end the current policy of Family Separation and prohibit its application in the future.
So if you are solely interested in ending the separation of minor children from their parents at the border, there is a simple and straightforward legislative vehicle for doing so. If you are interested in using the suffering of children as negotiation leverage, then you will oppose this approach.

Who is obstructing? The folks with the simple bill that ends family separation and does not do anything else? Or the folks demanding additional changes in policy to even bring a bill to the floor?

That was rhetorical.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
This article details ways you can help in this fight:
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018...order.html
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg