Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New host with SSL
New host with SSL
My current hosting with NetCarrier is paid up until the end of the year, so I have six months to find and settle on a new host.  At the moment, I'm looking at GoDaddy's packages, because they're already my registrar for both this domain and the moribund warriors-alpha.net (which I haven't touched in like 15 years and really looks awful on modern monitors; I mainly use it to host my prereaders' mailing list).  Anyway, even GoDaddy's cheapest package is miles ahead of what NetCarrier is giving me, in terms of features, and I can add SSL to it.  The resulting cost will be a bit under twice what I pay NetCarrier, but I think that's acceptable.

So the question I have now is... Does anyone here on the forums have any experience with GoDaddy hosting, for good or bad?

Thanks.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
RE: New host with SSL
Last I had heard, several years ago GoDaddy was making it very, very hard to transfer domains from them for people who wanted to go elsewhere for business. I've administered sites for people in the past that use them for hosting, one was okay, the other was a pain in the ass in terms of me being able to get in to upload files.
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
I remember hearing bad things about GoDaddy, but that's mainly in the context of being a registrar.  Not really sure about them as a host, and while things appear to be getting "better" over there, I wouldn't say that they're "good" either.

It kinda depends on how much you feel like doing yourself, but I will point out that RamNode has VPS for cheaper than GoDaddy's hosting.  I can't imagine that you'd need more than a 256 SVZ for what you're hosting.  The downside is that once you're installed, you have to do everything yourself like upgrades.  The upside is that no one else can break your site.  But you can set it up with something like Ubuntu or Debian so apt-get upgrade can take care of most of the hard work.  They've been very responsive when something breaks at Miraheze -- when we have issues, they respond faster than we do lol.  Also it wouldn't hurt to get a little income from a referral.  But yeah, only do it if you're comfortable sysadminning, and the time is worth the money you'd save.

I also have friends at cPanel, but that's like way overkill for what you need.  But it's always fun when you have backchannels way into the dev team.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
https://www.blacknight.com/

Has the advantage of being based in a free country, too.

Generally sensible and competent when we've needed them in work. Worst problem we had was a wordpress hack which they sorted fairly quickly. Otherwise they've been fairly sensible to deal with, and extremely reliable.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
Thanks, guys.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....