Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Irish oddsmaker gives 33% chance Trump will be impeached
RE: Irish oddsmaker gives 33% chance Trump will be impeached
(02-05-2020, 09:41 PM)robkelk Wrote: Now it's up to the voters.

Just like Clinton.

Bill Clinton never faced reelection after his impeachment, the next election was for Al Gore and George W. Bush.  As we remember, Al Gore got the most votes, but lost the election.  Also, the Democrats gained 5 seats in the Senate that year, enough* to gain the majority.

There's one more different thing.  Given what the President's lawyers argued in the trial, it seems the White House believes that Trump can use any governmental power, without restriction, to ensure his own reelection.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
(02-06-2020, 12:39 AM)Labster Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 09:41 PM)robkelk Wrote: Now it's up to the voters.

Just like Clinton.

Bill Clinton never faced reelection after his impeachment, the next election was for Al Gore and George W. Bush.  As we remember, Al Gore got the most votes, but lost the election.  Also, the Democrats gained 5 seats in the Senate that year, enough* to gain the majority.

There's one more different thing.  Given what the President's lawyers argued in the trial, it seems the White House believes that Trump can use any governmental power, without restriction, to ensure his own reelection.

Well, yeah. I don't think it can be stressed enough how much your president and his lackies think that the law was never supposed to apply to them.
The thing about Clinton, though, is that he had a libido and tried to cover it up. Granted, he technically broke the law in doing so, but if we locked up every guy who lied about having an affair, this place would be in a very sad state of affairs. Yes, even more so than they are now.

The thing about Trump, on the other hand, is that he abused his Presidential Powers in order to force a foreign, sovereign nation to give him privileged information about a political opponent (Joe Biden)... one who it seems did not do any wrong in the first place - it only looked shady because the guy on the other end (not Joe Biden) actually was doing something wrong. Ironically, Joe Biden was, in fact, involved with shutting down that guy's operation.

Oh, and Trump paraded it around, trying to make it sound legal when it really wasn't.

So. What's next? A sitting President arranges to have political dissidents assassinated? The Bill of Rights gets completely scrapped? Pretty sure that's the direction we're headed.
Actually, I'm of the opinion Bill Clinton should have been removed from office, for tampering with a witness and perjury. That he did so to hide an affair is irrelevant.

Of course, by that same logic a few prominent Republican Congresspeople currently occupying the relevant offices should be removed from office, as should Donald Trump...
Yeah, Bill not getting properly hammered was a dangerous precedent, and here we are now...
The only thing I can add to this is 1) there has never been a successful vote to impeach and send to trial since ANDREW JACKSON. And that trial acquitted, IIRC.
2) when I first heard about this I thought the Democrats made the same mistake the Republicans did when they went after clinton
3) I considered it an even greater waste of governmental funds than the clinton hunt, because all the democrats have to do, given the current public opinions of the sitting president is NOT NOMINATE HILLARY. (and according to my nephew, she is not a contender) At this point, IMO, the sitting president is his own worst enemy and it is really sad that the republican party chose not to allow anyone to challenge him for the nomination during the primary season.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
Ranger, it was Andrew Johnson, not Jackson, and while there were not enough votes to remove him on any of the charges, he was only acquitted of one.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impeachmen...ew_Johnson

it was actually a bigger waste than that as it has cemented the majority of voting republicans and quite a few independents behind him as they have seen how partisan the action was. This did NOT play well in swing states nor in rust belt states like Michigan where those jobs that Obama said were gone forever have been returning (5 Million and counting)

While you might see him as his own worst enemy, outside of the Never Trump establishment, republicans see him as the type of republican president we have wanted and needed for years. No more kissing democrat ass and apologizing for kicking ass and not even bothering to take names, just pushing American interests at home and abroad while getting American CITIZENS back to work and off the dole

edit: fixed link
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

Rajvik, could we get a link on those five million rust belt jobs?  The last numbers I've seen (admittedly from outside the "conservative" news) indicate that there is a decline in manufacturing jobs.

Also, from my perspective (and again, this is outside the conservative infosphere) Nancy Pelosi got exactly the results from the impeachment that she wanted (keeping in mind that from her perspective nothing she could do could persuade someone who voted for Trump because they favored Trump rather than that they were afraid of Hillary).
Convincing those still supporting the Republicans at this point to vote elsewhere would be a pointless endeavor anyway. They're more than happy to support people like Trump and McConnell despite, or perhaps because of, the constant stream of greed, corruption, racism, sexism, homophobia, cronyism to foreign dictators, betrayal of allies, fear of science, and blatant cruelty to anyone that isn't them. The real target is all the people that don't vote. All those people that waste their opportunity to add their voice because they believe it won't make a difference. If the Democrats are going to win, convincing that lot is what's needed. Well, that and stopping the constant attempts to remove voters rights. (Seriously, your country is weird sometimes)
(02-11-2020, 12:32 AM)Matrix Dragon Wrote: (Seriously, your country is weird sometimes)
I'd tend to say that our country is weird all the time.
Isodecan i'll see if i can find something to link to over the weekend

as for Nancy Pelosi, it's not just what the Conservative media spin on it is, it was her own damn words, STATING that there would be an impeachment before Trump released the Transcript of the phone call, and then after the house passed the AoI, sitting on them because the house rushed it's actions and didn't fight to get any of their witnesses through the courts. Quite frankly what i feel she expected was Trump to pull a Nixon and go, "You know what, you are making this to damn irritating to run the country, I'm out of here, kiss my ass." which would have been a major mis-reading of the man. It's like this talk of trying to impeach him again for his making a comment about the original sentencing recommendation for Roger Stone. 7-9 years WAS bullshit, especially when you have others who lied to congress sitting pretty and pulling down a paycheck from MSNBC and CNN having served NO prison time.

and now we find out that the Jury foreperson was a partisan player? can you say Grounds For a Retrial?
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd