Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Gazeteer] The Port Phobos Fleet Museum
[Gazeteer] The Port Phobos Fleet Museum
The Fleet Museum at Port Phobos was opened in December 2023, after years of interfactional negotiations. The Museum had been on the agenda for the Convention's business meeting since the very first Convention after the end of the Boskone War.

However, for years, funding of the museum took a back foot to more pressing necessities.

Until HMS Athena was retired from SAM service and slatted for scrapping. On checking her serial number, it was found that she had originally been a ship of the Osaka City Guard.

A concerted crowdfunding effort to save the last surviving ship from Crystal Osaka eventually led to the funding of the museum - based in hanger 17 - the original staging point for the Boskone 4 assault.

6 Vessels formed the core exhibits when the museum was opened. More have since been added.

Vessels added to the collection at the museum have been preserved either because of their uniqueness, their importance in Convention history, or the events which the vessel took part in.

----

HMS Athena:
Bolitho Class. Restored to her original markings of the Osaka City guard. She is one of the few remaining artifacts from the city, having been delivered to the city guard 2 weeks before the collapse of the city. She survived the collapse of the city and served alongside the Toikyo guard for years before coming up for retirement.

A concerted effort among multiple factions led to her being preserved as the signature exhibit for the museum, along with structural elements from the city itself to place her in her context.

USS Phoenix:
Federation research vessel. First Fenship to go FTL. Not flightworthy. She is suspended from the roof of the main atrium. She is currently on permanent loan from the Starfleet museum.

A simulator enables her historic flight to be re-enacted by visitors.

HMS Lydia:
Hornblower class cruiser of the Sailors Armed Militia. Retired from service due to structural damage caused during the rescue of a VTP research vessel that had become trapped at low altitude. Her Captain took her below the ship's calculated collapse depth to affect a rescue. The ship survived, and the rescue was succesful.

She is open to the public. Her propulsion systems have been permanently disabled.

SS Ciara:
Great Justice Star Destroyer - restored to her wartime configuration. She is permanently moored as an exhibit. Her propulsion systems are supposedly functional. Ciara occasionally hosts fenkinder overnight in her crew bunkrooms, and runs an amateur radio station. She's suspected to be haunted.

SS Destiny Nova:
One of two surviving Boskone vessels (White Stallion is the other). Restored to her wartime configuration, with a second exhibit of her time in Panzer Kunst Grupper service. She is widley believed by the museum's curators to be haunted.

SS Yeager
Blackbird Class Vessel. One of the original production run. Retired from military service shortly after the Boskone War - she served as a training and research vessel for the next 6 years before being flown to the museum and permanently moored.

She is the only exhibit that is still regularly flying on the Warbird circuit at air and space shows, drumming up support for the museum.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
RE: [Gazeteer] The Port Phobos Fleet Museum
This is the sort of thing that Noah would - very quietly - support out of his own pocket. Not to the extent that the entire museum could be run, but having a curator or two appear on the StellviaCorp payroll somewhere while they were starting up.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Marsden and Greenwood would also certainly show support. And include an early rock-miner craft along with a VF-1 for display.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
*pokes his head in again*

Oh, COOL!

(07-22-2018, 05:50 PM)Dartz Wrote: SS Yeager
Blackbird Class Vessel. One of the original production run. Retired from military service shortly after the Boskone War - she served as a training and research vessel for the next 6 years before being flown to the museum and permanently moored.

She is the only exhibit that is still regularly flying on the Warbird circuit at air and space shows, drumming up support for the museum.

At the SS Yeager exhibit there stood a simple plinth.  On it was a plaque that read:

BENJAMIN RHODES
Founder of The Rough Riders
and Black Aeronaut Technologies
Recorded at the SS Yeager exhibit dedication

Above it, there was hologram of a vigorously middle-aged version of Benjamin, pacing around in place as he could never stand in one spot while speaking.

"Blackbirds," said Ben, shaking his head wryly.  "You don't pick the Blackbird.  The Blackbird picks you.  You have to understand, these aren't just ships.  They're thinking living beings.  Each one has a unique voice and a unique personality.  And each one embodies the spirit of America.  Not that 'Murrica! garbage.  We're talking about The Constitution and the Bill of Rights here.  Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.  E pluribus unum.  Faith and trust - that especially!

"The reason why you don't pick the Blackbird is simple.  She is placing you in a great degree of trust in letting you take her controls and let your will override hers.  Our own program for Sled Drivers has a ninety percent washout rate.  It's not a black mark against anyone, and they're free to try again and again.  But the simple fact of the matter is that in the end, it's not about ability or skill or some superhuman ace-class handwavium quirk.  It's all about trust.

"They're really not unlike the American Wild Mustangs.  Free, untamed, and proud.  You have to build trust with them before one will go with you.  And when you gain their love and trust, they will do things no other ship will do in your wildest imagination.

"That free spirited nature is why the SS Yeager is not only still around, but still flying to this day.  Despite all she's been through, she still loves to fly, even if she needs to be careful about stressing her spaceframe.  And she will keep on flying until the day something breaks that the BAT Heritage Fleet technicians and engineers are not able to fix.

"The thing most people don't know, though, is that each and every Blackbird is like a daughter to me.  I am there, personally, for every Blackbird that is awakened.  Every one of them carries a little bit of me with them.  And like any good father, I let them go out and live their lives.  Those of you who gain their trust must remember always: it's not only they who trust you.  I am trusting you with one of my precious girls."