Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XII
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XII
And Wow. What happened (in a good sense) to our Recent Changes page? It's had a major redesign between about 8 AM (EDT) and now.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Not just ATT; that appears to be Miraheze-wide.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Oh, dear... DocColress appears to be taking things personally.

Ref this contributions page, where his IP block reason is "Inserting nonsense/gibberish into pages: STOP BOMBARDING ME WITH ALL THIS STUFF."

Note that he said "me", not "the wiki". And he shouted.

When was the last time he took a break, relaxed, and got his bearings?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(09-04-2018, 12:12 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: And Wow.  What happened (in a good sense) to our Recent Changes page?  It's had a major redesign between about 8 AM (EDT) and now.

It looks like Special:NewFiles has also had a redesign. There appear to be some new options on that page, too, IIRC.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(09-04-2018, 05:31 PM)robkelk Wrote: Oh, dear... DocColress appears to be taking things personally.

Ref this contributions page, where his IP block reason is "Inserting nonsense/gibberish into pages: STOP BOMBARDING ME WITH ALL THIS STUFF."

Good question, maybe he should.  But he has good reason to.  Whoever this Complete Monster wonk is, he apparently doesn't work, sleep or possibly breathe, judging by the quantity and length of his posts endlessly flogging his positions on various CMs and subtopics thereof.  I'm not surprised DocColress loses his temper with him every once in a while.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
...But yeah, maybe we need to have him take a step back for a while.
-- Bob

Hmmmmm... We need to have this discussion on the wiki, where he can take part.

But before we do, I want to make sure I have one thing straight: Is "Complete Monster" a YMMV Trope or a trope with some hard and fast criteria? (It's obviously Serious Business to some people.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Sigh... The wiki's a prime right now. 503.

EDIT: All of Miraheze, not just ATT.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(09-07-2018, 07:33 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(09-04-2018, 05:31 PM)robkelk Wrote: Oh, dear... DocColress appears to be taking things personally.

Good question, maybe he should.  But he has good reason to.  Whoever this Complete Monster wonk is, he apparently doesn't work, sleep or possibly breathe, judging by the quantity and length of his posts endlessly flogging his positions on various CMs and subtopics thereof.  I'm not surprised DocColress loses his temper with him every once in a while.

Miraheze is back up.

I have an idea for dealing with this idiot.

Make it so you have to have an autoconfirmed account to post on talk pages for pages in the main namespace.

That should discourage whoever keeps spamming and be of minimal consequence to actual users, and hopefully we can remove it once it seems the CM spammer gets the hint.

Alternatively, they will make an actual account and we can suss out who it is from that.
Sounds good to me. We've already semiprotected the CM pages that way; doing the same to the Talk pages would be consistent. And it wouldn't be the first time we've asked particular anonymous users to create accounts in order to edit.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I've always felt like Complete Monster is inherently an objective trope -- or at least as objective as any trope can be given that we're talking about fiction. Is a character devoid of any good moral character in the context of the work's own setting. As with every other trope there are edge cases, but I think that's pretty clear. We don't base it on our own personal morality, because that varies from person to person.

So far as I'm concerned, the only reason it's marked YMMV is because of these "wonks" we get who like to use it to talk about how cool a villain is.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Just an update in case anyone notices some new visitors

I'm now an admin here:

https://crappygames.miraheze.org/wiki/Crappy_Games_Wiki

This wiki and several others on Wikia have been closed thanks to the antics of some troll raising a stink with some trumped up BS because they got blocked for inciting mischief, so they decided to convince Wikia Staff to close these wikis on trumped up charges since they weren't allowed to cause trouble on them.

So they picked up stakes and have moved to Miraheze.

I'm assisting them with restarting operations here, and many have admitted being fans of ATT, and since they were hit with similar censorship as TV Tropes hit us with that forced us to set up stakes away from said censorship, I'm being neighborly and lending them a hand.

Many of the new users are used to Wikia and not used to the finer points of editing outside of there, so if they show up on ATT with some rough edits, please be patient with them.
Wow, "Anime and Manga/Useful Notes" was a mess. I hope I fixed all the misinformation, but I'd appreciate another pair of eyes going over the page.

Honestly... the page claimed that anime takes animation shortcuts in order to catch up to the manga! (So what are all those filler episodes for, then?) It also claimed anime was invented after WWII (so what are all those Japanese animated propaganda films?), "Anime First" doesn't exist (so what's Gurren Lagann based on?), and there's a distinct anime style (so Cowboy Bebop an Hello Kitty are interchangeable?).
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
On the last section of that page, I'd argue that RWBY is an anime.

@GethN7, thanks for finding us new and interesting communities to join Miraheze.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
(09-09-2018, 08:57 PM)Labster Wrote: On the last section of that page, I'd argue that RWBY is an anime.

Word of God, recited multiple times, is that Monty Oum went to the other folks at Rooster Teeth and said "Let's make an anime".  So yeah, it's not just animesque, it is literally a western-made anime.
-- Bob

I've added RWBY as "a contender for 'first western anime'" - people in one camp will say "it's not Japanese so it can't be", while people in another will say "but Avatar: the Last Airbender predates RWBY". We don't need the edit wars.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Can someone a bit more neutral than I please take a look at one of TBeholder's recent changes to "Poe's Law"? I have no problems with the content, but I am bothered by his dismissive and insulting language regarding points elsewhere on the political spectrum than his.
-- Bob

(09-10-2018, 11:37 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Can someone a bit more neutral than I please take a look at one of TBeholder's recent changes to "Poe's Law"?  I have no problems with the content, but I am bothered by his dismissive and insulting language regarding points elsewhere on the political spectrum than his.

If I recall correctly, we've reverted changes on the GamerGate page that were phrased more politely than those edits.

Also, ATT:AF includes this line:
Quote:This is not carte blanche to write literally anything on the site. If it's not on the topic of creative works, it never belonged on the site in the first place.
When we sort the examples on that page, should we also add the noreallife tag?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I just tossed {{noreallife}} into the page; I don't have the time to sort it right now but I'll try to wedge it into my busy night once I get home from work.
-- Bob

(09-08-2018, 02:34 PM)GethN7 Wrote: I have an idea for dealing with this idiot.

Make it so you have to have an autoconfirmed account to post on talk pages for pages in the main namespace.

Has anyone done this yet?
-- Bob

Not yet - as of 01:00 UTC today, anonymous posts were still being made to Talk:Complete Monster/Video Games

I have a co-op meeting tonight, so I won't have time to semi-protect the talk pages today. If somebody else wants to do it, feel free.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I just saw those same edits, and I'm trying to remember how to do it globally. <sigh>

EDIT: Upon search and research, I realize that I never knew how to do this. And although I think I have an idea how to now, I'm not sure I have the server-level access that would let me actually do it. At least, I've never been told that I do. So for the nonce I shall leave it in others' hands.
-- Bob

Why are we keeping these three pages? Do they have examples that aren't on the matching tropes' main pages?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I don't think anyone's noticed them before now. They're just another stupid TVT thing that thinks it's clever. Nuke'em.
-- Bob

Nuked.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown