Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teaser for Chapter 5
Teaser for Chapter 5
Enjoy!
Belldandy smiled reassuringly at me, then turned her attentionback to the cake batter. She wasn't ignoring me -- the moment Isaid something the conversation would be up and running again asif there hadn't been a pause -- it was just a natural,comfortable break in the flow. And in that break, she began tosing again.It was, I believe, the first time I'd ever heard her soft singing from close enough to make out the words, and I wasn't too surprised to discover that they were entirely improvised. It was little more than a recap of the recipe turned into a song, almost as though she were reminding herself of every step, but done so in a way that didn't sound trite or childish.You hear something like that done on a television show or in a movie, and sometimes you want to cringe, because they try to make it "real", but all they succeed at is "bad". Well, this was real, but it was a delight to hear, as if somehow she were channelling all the pleasure she got from cooking for her siblings and Keiichi into the song. It felt like there was a faint trace of magic in her song as well, and it made me think of all the myths around the world which blended music and creation. I briefly wondered what it might do for my metatalent if someone were to accompany her on some instrument.As she finished beating and began to pour the batter into thepans, I said, "You have a lovely voice.""Thank you," she replied as she used a rubber spatula to scrapeevery last bit of the rich brown batter out of the bowl. "I geta lot of practice -- many of the major magics my sisters and Iwork are focused through music." She shot me a crinkle-eyedsmile. "Not quite like yours are, of course." Satisfied thebowl was now perfectly empty, she set it down, then handed me thespatula and the whisk."Huh. I'd like to see that someday," I said as I accepted theutensils and began licking chocolatey goodness off them.Gently shaking the cake pans to level their contents, Belldandy shrugged. "You're certainly welcome to observe. We don't do that kind of casting very often, but perhaps something will come up soon."I nodded. "Thanks." I pursued a particularly recalcitrantdrop of batter around the wires of the whisk for a few momentsbefore I added, "So, do you know anything, well, pop, rock, thatkind of thing?"Belldandy turned toward me with a mischievous glint in her eyesand smiled. "" she sangin English without preamble. ""I burst out in delighted laughter, and I would have clapped if Ihadn't had a chocolate-coated kitchen implement in each hand atthe time. "I would *never* have figured you for a Ramones fan."As she turned back to the cake pans and carried them over to theoven, she said, "Oh, I enjoy quite a lot of different kinds ofmusic."Huh. "Do you know any Metallica?" I asked, not sure if I weregenuinely curious or just making trouble.Bell closed the oven, set the timer, and then laid a forefingerto her chin as she thought about it. "I don't think so."I grinned. "I know a few songs of theirs you might like which Icould teach you."She smiled at me. "I think I'd like that."So I did.
-- Bob
---------
The Internet Is For Norns.

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Re: Teaser for Chapter 5
And this is how we get the Goddess of the Present to sing 'Sandman' SmileWithout a word...
the thought of Bell on Lead Vocals, Urd on Bass, and Skuld on Lead Guitar for 'Enter Sandman' is flat-out-freaking _COOL_.Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
And Skuld would do the little boy vocals during the spoken section?

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
And Skuld would do the little boy vocals during the spoken section?
Which for some reason popped Disturbed's Violence Fetish into my brain..
"No mommy, don't do it again, don't do it again, I'll be a good girl, I'll be a good girl, I promise!
With Skuld singing, pissed off like someone just raped the ice cream.
something wrong with my brain today, I'm going to self-medicate with beer!Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Quote:
the thought of Bell on Lead Vocals, Urd on Bass, and Skuld on Lead Guitar for 'Enter Sandman' is flat-out-freaking _COOL_.
The thought of a Divine-level "Area effect nightmares/terror" effect... disquiets me. I suspect, if it was ever used against me, it would kill me.
Or does this count as a cover version, thus giving Doug a different effect?

-Rob Kelk
"Read Or Die: not so much a title as a way of life." - Justin Palmer, 6 June 2007
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Quote:
It was little more than a recap of the recipe turned into a song, almost as though she were reminding herself of every step, but done so in a way that didn't sound trite or childish.
Ah, yes - the Egg Song. (OAV Original Soundtrack Vol.2 Super, track 20).
Gods, but Inoue-san has a wonderful giggle about 13 seconds into that track... I can't imagine why some people don't like that song.
Quote:
I burst out in delighted laughter, and I would have clapped if I hadn't had a chocolate-coated kitchen implement in each hand at the time. "I would *never* have figured you for a Ramones fan."
Neither would I, considering that she plays the bagpipes in the opening for the new TV series... but, really, is there any type of music Belldandy can't perform?

-Rob Kelk
"Read Or Die: not so much a title as a way of life." - Justin Palmer, 6 June 2007
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:
The thought of a Divine-level "Area effect nightmares/terror" effect... disquiets me. I suspect, if it was ever used against me, it would kill me.
Or does this count as a cover version, thus giving Doug a different effect?
Y'know, I thought it would make a fairly nasty demon banishment spell.
I'd be curious
If she knows Rod Stewart's "Rhythm of My Heart"?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Re: I'd be curious
How'd you get the Egg Song? I can't find it, and the praise y'all give it has got me really interested.--------------------
I'll snap your neck like a tomato!

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.
I bought the CD when it was available, lo those many years ago.
But I notice I haven't yet ripped that CD to MP3, so it'll be going into the drive Real Soon Now. If you've got an e-mail account that can handle a (probably) 1MB (or so) attachment, let me know at robkelk -atsign- gmail -period- com ...

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk

bounce it my way to board handle at tertiary dot net, I'll rehost.Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Done, and thanks!
It ended up being 1.5MB, but it's as high-quality as I can make it...

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk

www.tertiary.net/drop/20-...g_Song.mp3
far too cute - requires insulinWire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Re: re:I'd be curious
I feel like pulling a "George" manuever
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Oh, yeah, that is a cute little giggle, isn't it?

-- Bob
---------
ya'know, I've been trying to imagine her voice singing "I wanna be sedated", but so far no luck. 8P__________________
666-HELL The phone number of the Beast