Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[OOC][Info]Nothing Better Than This Wiki
RE: [OOC][Info]Nothing Better Than This Wiki
(03-27-2021, 09:15 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(03-27-2021, 08:18 AM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: Bit of a tangent, but I think it would still be a good idea if we used something like Google Docs for the live stories.  It'll make it a lot easier to avoid that awkward situation where two people are working on the same story on the Wiki and don't even know it, and then try to submit changes that happen to contradict one another.

With Docs, you can see the changes being made in real-time, so you wouldn't wind up with that situation.  Even better?  You can leave in-line notes and commentary for others.  Stuff like, "Are you sure you meant this and not that?" or "Don't you think this is a bit out of character for this person?"

I have a fundamental dislike of sharing information with Google for any reason. I know too much about how they use it.

And we started the wiki because we wanted someplace where we could all edit the live stories, and PiratePad was glitching on us. So far, we haven't had an edit collision.

Well, the main reason we haven't had a "collision" yet is because you've been the one doing the most work on the wiki.  That's probably going to change as I slowly get more used to working on it.  I can understand your reticence about using Google, but it doesn't necessarily have to be Google we use.

I believe it was discussed before, but Etherpad is still out there in the form of Etherpad Lite.  After Google consumed Etherpad, it didn't get quite the following they were hoping for, so they just made the code open source and dumped it.  Fortunately, someone has taken up the challenge and created a "lite" rewrite that is based in node.js.  It does require a server to work, but there are people that provide those for free out of the goodness of their hearts.  Worse comes to worse, I can probably put together a server out of a Raspberry Pi or something and connect it to my router, but that'll take a bit of doing on my part.
I just activated the Paragraph-based Edit Conflict Interface extension. That gives us an editable list of edit collisions when they occur, and lets us choose which edit (the one you made or the other one) to use on a paragraph-by-paragraph basis.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(05-31-2020, 04:09 PM)robkelk Wrote: Now that we have a calendar, does anybody want to work on a map? I spent much of the weekend pulling all the named locations onto one list - all it's missing is the off-Earth locations planned for Arc 2. I think.

That list now has a map ... okay, a first-draft of a map, because it places markers by city rather than by address.

EDIT: Here's the documentation
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Stubbing this page before I forget again
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Okay, why was I logged out of the wiki, and why can't I log back in again? I'm getting told my ID/pwd combo is not recognized.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Are you still logged in at All The Tropes?

Have you tried clearing your cookies before logging in again?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
The map looks different now - I used my executive authority to decide where in Canada the remaining "somewhere in Canada" locations were.

Hey, look, one of the largest towns by area in Nunavut is a ghost town, and we had a waterbender colony "somewhere in the high Arctic". Enjoy the ready-made residences.

Speaking of Nunavut, can everybody read this place name: ᓇᓂᓯᕕ ᕿᑭᖅᑖᓗᒃ ᓄᓇᕗᑦ
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Oh, and checking out the new mapping stuff, I noticed the note about "wherever Eddard Stark ended up".

Well... according to Google Maps, there's allegedly a castle called "Winterfell" in upstate New York, on Lake Pleasant, but zooming in doesn't show anything of the sort... in our timeline.

There's also a Winterfell in Chihuahua Mexico... and another in Converse, TX, just outside of San Antonio...

And for maximum fun, there's a preschool called "Winterfell Academy" in the Bronx.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(03-27-2021, 08:04 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Oh, and checking out the new mapping stuff, I noticed the note about "wherever Eddard Stark ended up".

Well... according to Google Maps, there's allegedly a castle called "Winterfell" in upstate New York, on Lake Pleasant, but zooming in doesn't show anything of the sort... in our timeline.

There's also a Winterfell in Chihuahua Mexico...  and another in Converse, TX, just outside of San Antonio...

Hmmmmm... There's already a cluster of map markers in the general vicinity of upstate NY - we really should stop hogging all the good stuff.

While it would be amusing to have a staunch royalist appear near the Alamo, there's already a lot of good stuff near Westwoods already, too.

So... Chi-hu'a-hu'a? ("It's pronounced 'Chihuahua', Les.")

(03-27-2021, 08:04 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: And for maximum fun, there's a preschool called "Winterfell Academy" in the Bronx.

When you play the game of hide-and-seek, you win or you cry. Smile
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
And now the clusters display as clusters (zoom in to separate a cluster into distinct markers)... and there are two different markers, and the map shows most of the world by default (and can be resized).

--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(03-27-2021, 07:48 PM)robkelk Wrote: Are you still logged in at All The Tropes?

Have you tried clearing your cookies before logging in again?

Did the cookieclear dance twice.  I ended up having to reset my password even though I shouldn't have needed to.
-- Bob

(01-18-2021, 01:07 PM)robkelk Wrote: Just tossed some more terms onto the Glossary page, including some that I don't expect we'll get to before Arc 2.

EDIT: And added a few more. ("A few" being bringing the count of glossary terms from 6 to 47.)

There's plenty of content on the Glossary page now.

Is anything obvious by its absence?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Nothing absent from what I can see as of yet.  However, you may want to note the following...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratatoskr
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C3%AD%C3%B0h%C3%B6ggr

The squirrel and the serpent are not to be confused.  While Ratatoskr's name does translate roughly to something like "Drill Tooth" or "Bore Tooth", it does not gnaw on the Yggdrasil's roots as Níðhöggr does, and they are considered to be two entirely different entities.
it's becoming obvious that we need this page. No content on it yet... We can raid this description for the "canon" stuff, but we'll need to reach a consensus on the Metacontinuity stuff.

I'm of the opinion that enough people believed he was alive (how else could he affect his canon? they think) that he ended up alive and able to move around in the Metacontinuity. I'm also of the opinion that he moves around a lot. And he has to use pen and paper to write down his stories - no word processor or laptop computer allowed, because he's set in his ways. Thoughts?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Sounds about right. Though I think it should be important to note that people like Ben aren't aware of his existence. Not that Ben would be surprised that someone is fucking with his fate just for funsies, just that he wouldn't know who at this point. Tongue

To really shed some light on that topic, it would probably require a sit-down of the dramatis personea at Callahan's and kicking loose the Impossible Problem Solving Machine.
Canon description is now copied over. As for changes in the Metacontinuity...

Quote:He awakened... somewhere, exactly where matters little... hale and hearty, alive in a body complete with working hands, and with the certain knowledge that his idle musings about possibly being a character in somebody else's story were correct. He is certain that this "somebody else" is [[Celestial supporting characters|either a goddess or a she-devil]], mainly because he awoke with a list, written by a feminine hand (he could tell), of the places in this strange new world where others like him, characters from other stories, had appeared.

If he is (as he assumes) to be a character in someone else's story, then it behooves him to be the best character that he can be, within the limits of his characterization and abilities. After all, he expects nothing less from his own characters; to fail to live up to his own rule would be rude.

And thus he walks the Earth, traveling from town to town (if one can call cities where over a million people live "towns"), adjusting the plots to create more interesting stories.

Isn't that just lovely? How could somebody like that possibly be a threat? Well, considering that he likes stories with dark endings, and has the power to warp reality...

EDIT: Quoting from his description on All The Tropes:
Quote:Drosselmeyer is often very Genre Savvy, particularly when it comes to fairy tales.
He's going to be simply fascinated by the characters from RWBY...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I like it. It gives me ideas. Taking this over to the planning thread.
If anybody's looking for something to do... here's a complete list of wiki pages, sorted by size (smallest to largest). Scroll past the first 40 or so to get past the stubs that facilitate reading the stories in chronological order (and the DPL documentation pages) and you'll start seeing "stub" character pages that need fleshing out. There's plenty of them to go around...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
That map extension that I used to show on the "Places" page which cities have known displacees is very useful; one can zoom in to individual neighborhoods.

So... the wiki page for Blossom now shows where most of the mentioned places nearby are. (And a couple of not-yet-mentioned places, should folks be interested in where the high-school-age displacees attend classes.) As of this posting, I still need to add in the local pizza place and Jemi's "hobbit-hole". The former is easy enough; the latter will have to wait until I can visit the park it's in (which won't be until after I get both my vaccinations... and Canada's spread the two shots apart by four months).

Yes, OSA-P and Jacky's 'tower' resolve to empty lots on the map if you zoom in all the way. The extension uses a real-world map, not a Metacontinuity map.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Just saw the photo you uploaded today, BA. If I didn't know better, I'd suspect you might have some relationship to the Commanda family, who have provided more than a few Grand Chiefs to the Akwesasne Mohawks. (Yes, that's a compliment.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Just stubbed the OnNaGumi girls for you, Bob.

EDIT: And a stub page for Chika (including the idea that she might want to become a gondolier), for Brent.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Thanks! I have K-On! College on my Kindle; I might be able to extract some character images from it. (Or maybe see if Safebooru has any.)
-- Bob

I already checked Safebooru - no joy there, unless you want one image for all three girls.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I should have known you wouldn't let them go unillustrated unless there were no illustrations to be had.
-- Bob

Just put a second map on the Blossom Apartments page, since putting all of the markers on one map would have clustered almost all of them into a single group.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown