Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[OOC][Info]Nothing Better Than This Wiki
RE: [OOC][Info]Nothing Better Than This Wiki
People who have read access to the wiki can see a list of all of the stories on the wiki by following this elegant and finely-crafted link.

The list is generated automatically from the categories on the pages.

It's good security to revoke accounts that are no longer in use... but I don't think that's completely necessary here. I have lowered account rights to read-only for people who have announced they have dropped out of the active writing pool.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
I've been re-watching Cardcaptor Sakura... The episode "Sakura's Wonderful Christmas" establishes Yukito's birthday, and the episode "Sakura and the Calendar of Memories" shows the birthdays of Sakura, Touya, Fujitaka, and Sonomi.

Sonomi's birthday is October 13; Brent has already created pages for everyone else, which I've updated.

Just confirmed that I can copy the text from ATT's Chat window. If I select the entire window, I get the writers' UserIDs, the text, and the timestamps. Does anybody know how to write a Notepad++ script to clean that up? Alternately, is there a *nix tool that (a) can do the job and (b) has been ported to Windows?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Rob, Brent; I just had a helluva time trying to log into the Wiki because evidently the User Name field is case sensitive. (Also, it didn't want to accept my email as an alternative to my user name.)

I understand that we're concerned about security, but does it honestly need to be this anal-retentive?
We're stuck with that - it's how Wikipedia works, too.

But if you aren't using a shared computer, you don't have to log off... EDIT: ...unless we get logged off, that is. I assume something happened in the back-end that forced a mass logout of everyone who was persistently logged in.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Yeah. That.

Can we at least ask the folks at Miraheze if they could put a little reminder in there that usernames are case sensitive? Because the only websites I know of that have case-sensitive usernames are banking sites and Dept. of Defense sites.
(11-10-2018, 10:38 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: Yeah. That.

Can we at least ask the folks at Miraheze if they could put a little reminder in there that usernames are case sensitive? Because the only websites I know of that have case-sensitive usernames are banking sites and Dept. of Defense sites.

That's more up Brent's alley than mine.

There are more images on the wiki.

The only page for Westwoods Apartments that's missing an image is "Benjamin Rhodes". The only page for Blossom Apartments that's missing an image is "Rob Donaldson". Try as I might, I just can't find animesque images of those two characters. Smile (Touma and Index don't have pages yet, though.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Which was, of course, my reason for choosing an alternative avatar...

And nothing at all to do with comfortable nights on a shared pillow.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
Well, I might just have to get something commissioned, so while I'm at it, I guess I might as well go completely top-city with it.

Now to find a halfway decent artist who's taking commissions. :V
For now, I was thinking of using this pic.  It covers these traits:
  • Hair that's kinda multi-colored.  (Top of my head is brownish, above my ears is a little gray, my sideburns are red, and my eyebrows are blonde.)
  • No sideburns, but hair kinda in that position, so closeish.
  • Blue eyes, check
  • Glasses, check.
  • Oval face, check.
  • Ahoge, check.
  • 'Murican, double-check.
Missing:
  • Prominent cheeks, kinda hard to draw in anime style
  • My nose is a bit more triangular.
  • Need a Hawaiian shirt, but don't want to use Jumbo.
  • I'm overweight, but I'm sure I can find a reason for that to go away.  
Other possible pics - same character, but less realistic style:
in a kimono, hey I do wear plaid, programming, and <3
Not using: as Sailor Venus

In terms of case sensitivity, the first letter of the username is not case-sensitive, but all the rest are.  So if you can think of a message that says that in a clear way, I'd be happy to suggest that we add it.  Of course, it will then need to be translated.  Alternatively, bitch at the WMF about it here: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T64396
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
The main thread, up to but NOT including post #20, is now on the wiki. Read it in order from the links here.

Please remember your place-and-date-and-time stamps, everyone!

EDIT: Feel free to add more posts. I think the place-and-date-and-time stamp format is obvious...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Just documented the Infobox Displacee template.

If I haven't also documented the Manager and Residence templates by the end of the week, please nudge me.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
All posts in the main thread (up to post #27) are now on the wiki.

A few posts ended up in their own threads, because the date-time stamps were odd...

Dartz, none of your stuff is on the wiki yet. When did your stories take place in-universe?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
The story pages now have a (half-assed but functional) navigation system - one can start at the first story and eventually reach the final story (except that I haven't uploaded the chronologically-last story yet).

There is also now a third option on the license list on the Upload a File page. In addition to the options "I made this myself" and "this is copyrighted", there is now an option "this was commissioned for the wiki". The ones that don't say the file is copyrighted have notes pointing to the file description for the re-use license if any.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
The Mimi story is up - here and here. (Since I couldn't come up with a title, it got the base "There's Nothing Better!" title.)

I still need to know when Dartz's stories are set...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Titles, how about:
  • Rebroadcast Rites
  • Sins of Syndication
  • For the Forgiveness of Syndication
  • A Very Special Episode of Blossom Apartments
This train of thought also led to this bit of beach dialog:
MIMI: Are you sure you want to go out looking like that? Girl, you really need to work on your tanlines.
YOMI: <deadpan> Girl, you really need to work on your scanlines.
MIMI: <glare>
Mimi's a redhead and is usually depicted with fair skin... would she tan, or freckle?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
If you need to know my calendar, here's what I'm planning:

A Serotinal Frolic
  Button pushing    October 14-ish
  Beach ep          Sunday, October 16th
Twain
  Sakura Arrival    October 25-ish, 2016
  A Home Visit      October 26-ish, 2016
Halloween      <<- Monday, October 31, 2016 ->>
Dredging up the Past
 Start school  Monday, November 7, 2016
 Battle        Wednesday, November 9, 2016
Akari's Day     Thursday, November 17, 2016
Matinee Ojou-san November 15, 2016 (ish)
Hanabishi arrival  > November 23, 2016 (restriction from Rob's story)
Ballet Rock - November 14/December 13 (must be full moon)
Christmas <<- Sunday, December 25, 2016 ->>

Twain will continue, when I have any idea what I need to write next.  I might push the date earlier -- the main question is an having excuse to not go to school on Halloween for Sakura, versus providing enough time for Tomoyo to make suitable costumes.
I should have looked at the RWBY wiki before this. Of course they're going to have the characters' heights - you can read that right off the digital models.

However... Can somebody tell me how Remnant's calendar is sufficiently close enough to Earth's to be able to tell me Ruby's birthday is October 31? (She's the only one with a birthday listed.)

Did we agree that Sailor Saturn and Sailor Pluto are going to San Antonio, and Mimi Hanyu is going to LA?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
<yang>Because Ruby is made of Samh-win!</yang>

I can take one Mimi, yes.
Thanks, Brent. We'll keep a guest room ready for Mimi in Ottawa, just in case. (At least until we run out of guest rooms... again.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I don't think we explicitly stated that Saturn and Pluto wound up appearing in San Antonio. We should probably hash out how that happens, though that will be something for the plotting thread.
Well, hang on... if we didn't decide they were going to San Antonio, then they can head to Ottawa instead.

But, yeah - planning thread.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
BA and I discussed something a while ago. The page for Westwoods Apartments now reflects what we came up with, in a new section titled "Nearby".
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Okay, cool. Did a little work on there myself. And we might as well just put that bunch down as residents regardless, since it's not like they'd particularly enjoy sleeping in a shop for an extended period of time.
<sigh> I know it doesn't happen every time, but it sure seems like Safebooru decides to go on maintenance whenever I go looking for character images. I only managed to find one before the site went bye-bye this time. I just hope I picked a good one for her.

(Hey, Bob, do you think she'd ever dress that way in Girls Girls Girls?)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown