Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[OOC][Info]Nothing Better Than This Wiki
RE: [OOC][Info]Nothing Better Than This Wiki
I don't know who "toast" is - he or she only has two images up on Safebooru, both of individual Sailor Senshi.

Since I've already established that one of those particular senshi was the physical template for Washuu's prototype Long-term Medical Hologram (fixed all your code glitches for you in a single weekend, Starfleet!), one of those two images is now a character illustration on the wiki: Ami Mizuno Akemi Zimmerman.

[Image: __mizuno_ami_bishoujo_senshi_sailor_moon...ded56f.jpg]
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Just started a new Talk page on the wiki, for all the tropes that we don't use yet but could. Here it is.

As yet, it has one trope/plotbunny.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(10-05-2019, 06:59 PM)robkelk Wrote: A while back, I added the functionality to put an image - but only one image - onto the title bar of a wiki page.

Instead of using it to show padlocks on protected pages (because we don't have any of those), I've added a simple logo to the pages for all of the characters that I plan to keep in my SI's circle throughout all arcs of the entire story. See it here.

I also added that "Grand Valknut" symbol to Ben's page.

If anybody wants a symbol on particular pages as a visual reminder that these are important to a particular writer, upload a 32x32 pixel image to the wiki and tell me which pages it should be on and what description it should link to.

Oh, yeah - a short while back, I added an icon to all of the working Notes pages. (The same icon that I added to the "Mechanics of Writing" pages over at All The Tropes. Gotta love the ability to use images from Wikimedia Commons without uploading them to our wiki.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(02-29-2020, 09:28 PM)robkelk Wrote: Just started a new Talk page on the wiki, for all the tropes that we don't use yet but could. Here it is.

As yet, it has one trope/plotbunny.

I was going to add Right Behind Me and Engineered Public Confession, but then I saw on the page that you want us to limit the list specifically to tropes that give rise to plot bunnies.  As the two are treasured punch-lines for a comedic climax and not really plot-relavent, I don't believe they meet the requirements.

Pity.  Those are a couple of my favorites.

Though I fully intend to milk Right Behind Me with something of a subversion - Ben pretty much says, "Why stop there?  Tell me how you REALLY FEEL."  And then his opposite proceeds to not only dig their own grave, but fashion their casket while they're at it.
If you're actually going to use the tropes, feel free to add them to the list.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Hmmmmm... Do we want this?

It's on the list of readily-available extensions.

i don't have time right now to read through the documentation - if somebody else does, please do and tell me how easy or difficult it is to use the extension.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
.... This, I like. It's like someone made Scrivener into a MediaWiki extension.
It's switched on.

Don't ask me how to use it - I still haven't read the documentation.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
The Mahoromatic character pages now have at least basic writeups.

One thing I added to Mahoro's page: "She's a crack shot with her pistol, or any other sidearm, firearm, or gun. (She and [[Benjamin Rhodes]] would be able to have a long and productive conversation about the care and feeding of large-barrel weaponry.)"
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
The fun part about calculating things like muzzle velocities and such is that there are so many variables for any given combination of weapon and ammunition that the only way to be certain is to actually fire the weapon with a high-precision chronograph on the range.

EDIT:

Examples of such variables are (but are not limited to)
Propellant Formula
Propellant temperature
Percentage of lands to grooves in the rifling
Number of rifling turns
Whether or not the barrel was recently cleaned, and with what
If not recently cleaned, then what was being fired last time?
Friction coefficient of barrel material to bullet jacket
Weight of bullet
Amount of propellant
Length of barrel

.... You get the idea.
I needed to calm myself this evening, so I watched a few episodes of the one show that I knew could make me feel relaxed and centered. And I noticed something that we didn't have listed on the wiki...

Akari Mizunashi's wiki page now mentions her canon fear of the dark.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(05-26-2020, 06:45 PM)robkelk Wrote: Oh, yes - when I know the date for a work in progress, I add it to this page on the wiki. But that's a kludge to keep track of them. Taking thoughts on this to the wiki thread.

And here's the wiki thread.

There's a calendar available as a wiki extension. Despite the documentation for the extension, it doesn't handle recurring appointments, so no "birthday" entries would be possible unless they're added every year. Also, the default display is of the current month - one has to scroll to an earlier or later month.

But it's still something that we could use to keep track of in-story events, as a timeline.

Should I activate it?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
That sounds like a phenomenally great idea. I was actually wondering about something like this myself and was going to ask about it once I remembered to do so while in front of my computer. Tongue
It's up, with one entry on September 7, 2016.

Feel free to add entries to the timeline. EDIT: Hold on that - this calendar isn't nearly as good as i expected it to be (no way to link an entry to a wiki page, for one thing), and there's another possible calendar available.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I kinda hate to say this but have we considered just making an HTML table? Because we're admins, we have access to the CSS, we control the horizontal and the vertical. We could either maintain it manually, or use DPL to populate entries based on categories. But I'd really urge that we do it manually. I don't know that the categories add a lot.

Huh, maybe I'll just try it.

EDIT: >9000 seconds in notepad.exe later: https://theresnothingbetter.miraheze.org...ologneblue
You'll have to use a link like that to see it in a different skin until your css cache refreshes. Complicated but simple. I hope you like my style choices which are literally the first colors to come to my brain while coding. For some reason the color rebeccapurple always makes it in these sorts of designs.

EDIT2: The Editning: Possibly I fixed that for everyone by going to Purge on Mediawiki:Common.css? I didn't know that worked... Anyway normal page: https://theresnothingbetter.miraheze.org...er/sandbox
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
(takes a look)

Yeah, I'm going to turn off the MSCalendar extension now,

EDIT: Added a few entries - September 7, 9, 11, and 12. September 9 is a special case - can somebody word that entry better so it fits?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(05-28-2020, 05:56 AM)robkelk Wrote: (takes a look)

Yeah, I'm going to turn off the MSCalendar extension now,

EDIT: Added a few entries - September 7, 9, 11, and 12. September 9 is a special case - can somebody word that entry better so it fits?

How about "HAL, GLaDOS, and others delivered to a secure facility in Boston"?
Unrelated to the calendar, but directly caused by it (I went to look at the calendar and went wandering), I impulsively jotted down some ideas on the talk page for "Bob's Place", just in case anyone's interested. I don't expect them to go anywhere -- I've got other projects on my plate, and everyone else has their own things -- but I wanted to share them anyway.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Are you sure you don't want to play in this sandbox, Bob? Smile

Anyway...

I've populated the September calendar (just the "important" events, with the date linking to the main story if we have a page for that day) and added calendars for every month up to January.
EDIT: And added characters' birthdays when we know them, for these five months. RE-EDIT: And the calendar's extended so that everybody's birthdays are listed, where we know them.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I apologize for not being terribly active at this time.  My folks have been really pushing for me to get things taken care of with their old Suburban.  Things left to do:
  • Find turn signal lamps in the pats yard and replace the broken ones
  • Find an engine wire harness in the parts yard and use it to clean up the engine compartment wiring
  • Find dashboard wire harnesses in the parts yard and use them to clean up the in-dashboard wiring
The first two should be easy enough.  GM practically did all their trucks and suburban like cookie-cutouts at the time of our suburban’s manufacture.  The last will be kinda tricky because it was in the model year afterwards they started introducing small changes, and in the year after that, a huge interior+exterior facelift.

Argh.

At the very worst I’m going to wind up rewiring the interior by hand.  But it seems like not much of the original wiring got replaced - only that the original owner was very.... enthusiastic... about adding useless crap to this thing to try and make it into a cut-rate show car.  It’s just going to be a real chore to sort everything out, especially since it seems he added an electric trailer brake system without ever reading the instructions.

This is all so that the vehicle will pass inspection and my folks can put TX plates on it.

No worries, I am being compensated for all this effort.  They’re helping me with my rent and bills to a large degree.  Besides, we really do need it up and running.  It is needed for the big monthly shopping runs to Costco as well as trips to the storage unit to clear out crap my folks no longer want.
Now that we have a calendar, does anybody want to work on a map? I spent much of the weekend pulling all the named locations onto one list - all it's missing is the off-Earth locations planned for Arc 2. I think.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
The calendar now has major story events listed... and a couple of "we're planning to write these, really" events, too. Next up is to go through the lists posted here and add those planned-to-be-written events to the calendar.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Wiki now has images and writeups copied from All The Tropes for all but one of the Fate/stay night characters.

From those writeups, I can tell that these characters were taken from very early in their story.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Did some work on Celestial supporting characters page today, greatly expanding the writeups and the cast.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Yay! The Kaleido Star wikia actually has numbers for most of the characters! Age, birthday, and height, at least.

So, there's now a table on the "Kaleido Stage" talk page. And a link to the overall characters page on the wikia, because they have likes, dislikes, and performance specialties listed, too.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown