Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Ever dreamed of taking a Kalashnikov to work?
Ever dreamed of taking a Kalashnikov to work?
Now you can. Fully automatic, and electric powered.

Kalashnikov, gunning for Tesla

The Kalashnikov.

For work.

For School.

For summers in the park.

Really. The marketing material writes itself for this one. It'll be popular for the obvious pun alone. The black mask is a low cost option...

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
RE: Ever dreamed of taking a Kalashnikov to work?
Honestly, if nothing else, they're being smarter about it than Tesla. This is a car that gets you from A to B. No autopilot or self reinflating tires or whatever.
Huh. It does have a certain chunky retro charm to it, but more importantly if Kalashnikov can pull off the kind of infantry-proofed* engineering (and relative price-point) that makes their most iconic product so legendary it could very well become a serious contender. I'd be willing to be seen in one, though it's a safe bet a lot of the various safety equipment required for US road certification is not standard or even standard options. I doubt it "smells like speed" either Wink

* Maxim 48 reads "If it ain't broke, it hasn't been issued to the infantry," but the AK-47 is legendary for just plain not breaking under the most horrible conditions of manufacturing and use.
--
‎noli esse culus
For the record, and a touch off-topic, one of my jobs required me to take a Kalashnikov to work.

Well.  To take it, that is, from the arms room in our office building out to our other workplace, the firing range, where we familiarized U.S. soldiers and Marines with the weapons used by potential adversaries.  But I think I may have fired more shots with an AK-series rifle than I ever did with an M16. 

F.O.G.E.Y.:  Fifties and Older Generation ... Enemies of the Young — the extremist wing of the Gray Panthers
This is everything I would expect from something bearing the Kalishnikov name. Looks (and probably handles) like a Lada, but has over 200 mile range and goes from 0 to 60mph in 6 seconds.

(Yes I'm a filthy American and shifted the measurements to imperial.)
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

0-60 in six seconds, eh? Not exactly what some Americans would call 'gutless'. It may find traction here in America. Wink
But the styling is so obviously Eastern European...
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
The body shell is not necessarily set in stone - look at the Karmann Ghia, after all. And if they can seriously undercut the price points of the more stylish competition, that alone would be a draw to people who'd like to go electric but can't justify the expense.
--
‎noli esse culus
(08-31-2018, 02:19 PM)robkelk Wrote: But the styling is so obviously Eastern European...

I dunno.  I think Eastern European chic is starting to dig a niche for itself in America.  The Americans that have driven Trabants in Germany look upon them fondly - of course, Americans being the consummate road warriors we are...

I've actually seen a video of a Trabant in good condition being driven from a driver's perspective.  Surprisingly, those little old cars can get up and walk - provided you're sticking to the regular roads and staying off the highways.  :V

Besides, the boxy look is a big hit for some people.  Much like the Scion xB, the Nissan Cube, the Hummer, and the Mercedes G-Class.
Trabbies are entertaining in an ironic way. They'll pick up and go solely because of gearing, and 2-stroke torque.

The best way to describe them is as 'honest'. They are what they are, and nothing more. They make no qualms about being special - they just move you from point A to point B and ask for nothing more than maintenance and a little care.

Anyway, it looks like the sort of thing I might enjoy.

Too many things these days are like a chinese oak table. It's only oak in that it's 'oak' shavings held together by PVA glue, and sandwiched between textured plastic veneer. The iron slag ion the middlle gives it the right weight.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.