Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Calling all BattleTechies
RE: Calling all BattleTechies
Not much about the Second Exile worlds, but we do see a good bit of the clans' reconquest of the SLDF-in-exile splinter factions. It was pretty brutal, including the cold-blooded betrayal and execution of SLDF loyalists who'd stayed behind and later fought alongside the Clans in the initial reconquest.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Welll... "loyalists" = "didn't break their oath of service and desert with Kerensky" as far as I'm concerned, but I think I know what you're talking about, from poking at Sarna's entries on the Clan worlds a bit last night. The organization in those sections seems to strongly favour reminding people who already know about it of the order and participants in events, and rather less useful when coming at it cold, but when the material its covering is copyrighted fiction rather than actual historical information I suppose it puts some limits on how much depth they can go into. The more I look at it though, the more I agree with the grognards on rec.games.mecha back in the early 90s that the setting and probably the game as a whole was much better off before introducing the Clans and their bullshit.
--
‎noli esse culus
My biggest problem with the Clans is not that they are utter bullshit (although they are), it's the stupid number of insane rabid fanboys they produce.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
If there's one thing that's true of the Clans from all I've heard, it's that their society cannot remain standing indefinitely. They will tear themselves apart eventually, utterly unmaking themselves and the technologies they depend upon for their survival.
Just the contempt the warrior-elites sitting at the top express for the technician and laborer castes holding them up would see to that eventually. Those who seek control over other people rather than over the world will always end up in the decision making positions one way or another, but getting a set in that at least pretends to care about justice and quality of life for everyone is infinitely superior to "Me strongest!"
--
‎noli esse culus
*Thank* you. I quit playing Battletech because I decided to teach a lesson to our local clanfanboy, and he got mad and quit playing altogether. Since he was the only one with *room* for the damn game, the other two of us had to quit too. The Clans have no idea what level of asskicking the Inner Sphere can dish out with the proper motivation.
It's funny, I rarely ever see fanboys for the Clans out on the internet. Everybody hates them. I always get the side eyes when I say I enjoy the Ghost Bears.
I was always a WiE guy myself, and the Spirit Cat with the time jump, but that's me
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd