Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's been a few years since the forum's last Catholic Church thread...
It's been a few years since the forum's last Catholic Church thread...
Reuters: Catholic bishops in Australia reject laws forcing priests to report sex abuse confessions

Quote:Visiting Ireland earlier this week, Pope Francis begged forgiveness for the multitude of abuses suffered by victims in Ireland, and he has promised no more coverups.

The Australian Catholic Bishops Conference (ACBC), the country's top Catholic body, said it did not accept a recommendation from an official inquiry that would force priests by law to report abuse to the police when they hear about it in confession.

Is the Pope going to have to speak ex cathedra to get the bishops to listen?
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: It's been a few years since the forum's last Catholic Church thread...
Judging by some of the articles I've read in the last month or so, there are bishops -- and Archbishops -- who wouldn't listen to Pope Francis if Jesus came down, dragged them by the ear to the papal throne, put his hand on Francis's shoulder and said, "Listen to this guy -- he knows his stuff."
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
I'll note that it's quite possible that by law priests have a confidentiality privilege, and not so much are unwilling but forbidden from sharing that information without the permission from the confessor. I'm not sure about the specifics but they do in the Netherlands, in no small part because this means that people are more willing to talk about their troubles with their priests and hopefully get help.
I do believe what the pope was asking forgiveness for was the cover ups of priests sexually assaulting people.so the ACBC or the newspaper is misconstruing the issue.

I would bet on the reporter
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

Given how the church has been reacting to the abuse down here, no, it's likely the ACBC and a major case of institutional arrogance.
Bows to Matrix Dragon's knowledge through location

(no that is not sarcasm, i can't speak for OZ, i was just saying that the shift in that quote made the reporter seem biased)
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

You really should read the entire article...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(08-31-2018, 08:33 PM)robkelk Wrote: You really should read the entire article...

Probably, but I'm not Catholic, (pagan here) and i honestly think that anyone who has touched a child improperly should be given the short stake. That said, i also understand the reasons that the priest/penitent relationship is what it is, that's not saying i quite agree with it, but i understand it.
Currently writing BROBd

(08-31-2018, 06:53 PM)hazard Wrote: I'll note that it's quite possible that by law priests have a confidentiality privilege, and not so much are unwilling but forbidden from sharing that information without the permission from the confessor. I'm not sure about the specifics but they do in the Netherlands, in no small part because this means that people are more willing to talk about their troubles with their priests and hopefully get help.

This may be a translation issue, but contrary to the usual English construction, the confessor is the priest hearing the confession, not the person confessing.
(08-31-2018, 03:38 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Judging by some of the articles I've read in the last month or so, there are bishops -- and Archbishops -- who wouldn't listen to Pope Francis if Jesus came down, dragged them by the ear to the papal throne, put his hand on Francis's shoulder and said, "Listen to this guy -- he knows his stuff."

Maybe they'll listen now...
Pope summons bishops around world for summit on sex-abuse prevention
Quote:The Feb. 21-24 meeting at the Vatican is believed to be the first of its kind and signals a realization at the highest levels of the church that clergy sex abuse is a global problem and not restricted to the Anglo-Saxon world, as many church leaders have long tried to insist.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Honestly Rob, i doubt it....but one can hope and pray
Currently writing BROBd