Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yggdrasil.org will be going down for a while
Yggdrasil.org will be going down for a while
Hi all,

Thought I'd just let you know in probably going to be taking down my fabulous website in the near future.  It's dated as hell (like circa Y2K?), and my current plan is to put up a WordPress blog for my random projects.

Stuff that normally I'd just drop in a colonyofgamers.com thread, but with that site going down soon (we're all moving to Discord) I want something a little more personal to continue with.

The archive will stick around, I'll probably keep a link to it or create an "oldsite" subdomain.

Just didn't want anyone panicking.
RE: Yggdrasil.org will be going down for a while
Thanks for letting us know, Chris. I'll have to search All The Tropes for Yggdrasil links so we can update them as needed.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
ATT only has four pages with links to yggdrasil.org. (Five links, though - "Fuku Fic" has two links.)

EDIT: And if there are any pages folks might want after the site disappears, make sure they're in the Wayback Machine now.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Thank you, Rob.  Have you pointed the Machine at those five three links already?
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Not yet - I'm still at the office. We probably want to get subpages of those links as well.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
No need, it looks like the Machine has all of Yggdrasil.org archived. I started with those three pages and just kept drilling down, and I haven't hit a dead link yet. All of OMB, God's Toy, Turn the Page, everything.
-- Bob

I promise you guys I'll make sure the fics are still accessible once I'm done.

It looks like the hosting plan I'm upgrading to allows a bunch of subdomains, so at worst some links will change.

Of course, I should also note this MAY not happen. I'm holding off for a few days just to make sure I'm not just going at this with my usual 'new idea' enthusiasm and then dropping it.
Thanks, Chris.

It doesn't hurt to be prepared - even if you don't change your website, we now have confirmation that there's an available backup of it. That's worth knowing, right?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Am I the only one that took a look at the title, and was thinking that it could have been a system announcement in "There's Nothing Better"
(09-09-2018, 05:23 AM)itsune9tl Wrote: Am I the only one that took a look at the title, and was thinking that it could have been a system announcement in "There's Nothing Better"

No, you're not the only one, and I even get the reference.
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

Gents,

The change is complete. You should just have to update any direct links to the archive site at: "archive.yggdrasil.org"

Look forward to other fun stuff on the WordPress site. Also, I'll cheerfully take aesthetic comments.
All I get is Verizon being "helpful" and sending me to a search page claiming that domain doesn't exist, did I mean to look for these other things instead.
--
‎noli esse culus
Perhaps the domain is still propagating through the DNS system. I get a "server IP address can't be found" message from Chrome.

Try again in a day or two and see if it's there then.
-- Bob

It's also entirely possible this is Cloudflare issues.  I'm trying to use their free service to get SSL going, since my ISP doesn't support LetsEncrypt.

If neither the main site nor the archive site work after a day or so, I'll cancel Cloudflare and look for another way to get SSL going.
It's working for me. Well, a certain value of "working". A lot of times I go to a page and get a 502 from Cloudflare, and then I refresh the page, and it works.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Looks like it's working now for me, at least.
--
‎noli esse culus
Yeah, I have a support ticket open with them. I'm giving them a week or so to help me work this out, if that doesn't work I'll try something else.

Thanks for being patient with me.