Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remember when the Republicans were the "law and order" party?
Remember when the Republicans were the "law and order" party?
Well, screw that when a Republican is under the microscope:

Republican Senator Lindsay Graham Says That Lying to the FBI Is Not 'a Big Event'
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
RE: Remember when the Republicans were the "law and order" party?
Bah, the Republicans have been the Law and Order party the same way Fox News has been a Fair and Balanced news channel.
Well yeah, I know that. I mean, every time they get a majority in Congress their first act is almost always the abolishment of ethics oversight bodies and anything else that might inconvenience them.

But they used to at least make a pretense at claiming to be strongly for "Law and Order" for the plebs. Now they're not even bothering.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
I'd say they're very much about law and order.  The rich make the laws, and the not-rich follow orders....
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
(09-17-2018, 08:14 AM)DHBirr Wrote: I'd say they're very much about law and order.  The rich make the laws, and the not-rich follow orders....

I am suddenly reminded of the current plot thread in Freefall, which began a bit before here, but that's close enough for context. If you don't care about context, just read this strip:

[Image: fc03175.png]
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Quote:Niccolo Machiavelli said that if men do not have legal means to redress their injuries, they will resort to illegal ones.

That was the thrust of The Assassination Bureau, Ltd.  (Not the movie; the book.)  Dragomiloff, the founder, was eventually persuaded that in providing an illegal channel for redress against evils the influential and powerful committed, the Bureau had acted as a safety valve that kept people from militating for a change in society, and thus he had harmed humanity by staving off that needed change.   But he warned that, 

Quote:...we were never wrong for the wrong reasons — even in our wrongness there was a rightness....
The world must come to recognize the joint responsibility for justice; it can no longer remain the aim of a select — and self-selected — few....  It must come from the growing moral fibre of the world itself.
Yet, one doubt; one question.  If that moral fibre be not forthcoming?  Then, in some distant age, the Assassination Bureau may well be re-born. 
-----
“We’ve had our differences, but he’s seen the light … and I made sure he moved toward it, instead of coming back.”