Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just finished a re-read
Just finished a re-read
UH OH!
Megumi as a soldier is vaugely disturbing, but I'd like to just say WOOO!
And I can't help but wonder what the 'undocumented features' left on the bike are.

And I can't help but wonder if Doug and Chris are going to be at loggerheads again over this... Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Re: Just finished a re-read
Yeah, I agree with Kokuten about Megumi. When I saw that she was seriously considering it I was like "OOOOoooohhh SNAP!"
I can only imagine the kinds of trouble that she'd get herself into. Because of this, I am eagerly anticipating the next chapter.
Black Aeronaut Technologies Group
Aerospace Solutions for the discerning spacer
"To the commissary we should go," Yoda declared firmly. "News
of this kind a danish requires."

Ironically, I can certainly see her perspective - given the various 'fun' things that have happened to her, why NOT get the ability to fight back?
...of course, she probably won't like the responsibilities that go along with that power.
I dunno... Being a soldier in service to cute little Skuld? I don't think it'd be too bad. I can certainly think of worse celestials to wind up with.
Might actually make an interesting Fanfiction^2 story if you have other people wind up swearing themselves to The Three.
Black Aeronaut Technologies Group
Aerospace Solutions for the discerning spacer
"But first, let's test it on the penguin."
"Meep?" O.o

I'm very glad I *DID* re-read it (and the concordance entry), otherwise I'd still be having the serious WTF?!? moment I did after first reading them.
The sort of WTF?!? moment that usually leads me to abandon and disown fics.
The reason for my gut reaction? The 'Skuld gets Megumi in trouble' bit. On my first read through of the two bits, it really jarred against my understanding of the AMG universe (yes I know you're mixing in the In Nomine universe but AMG seems to be the primary). Enough so that I went back and re-read chapter 2 just to be sure.
First off, Grav-tech.
Megumi's knowledge of Grav-tech primarily comes from Doug, AND he's the one who invited her to learn how to use to use it (and other stuff). Under these sorts of circumstances I'D be fairly P'd off. Technically, Skuld's teaching could be construed as being part of her contract with Doug (a quick re-read of chapter 1 says that Skuld promised to provide no less than 50% of the labor necessary to return Doug's bike to proper operating condition. Note the word labor, it can be taken SO many ways.).
Second, the metallurgy bit.
Where does it say, other than the Dreki blood (which she'll never be able to get, and should be capitalised as it is a name), that Megumi KNOWS what's in the alloy Skuld made? Unless Skuld told her off screen, all Megumi knows is that Skuld put several odd sized ingots of unknown metal at odd times that she doesn't know in a crucible to melt and mix.
Quite frankly, I'm *SERIOUSLY* not liking the In Nomine based Celestial characters (which is probably the point).
Oh, and as far as I know, only Kami-sama and Belldandy know/knew that Urd was the vessel of the Lord of Terror (which I assumed, once I'd found found out about Hild, came from her mother). Mara certainly didn't.
Quote:
Oh, and as far as I know, only Kami-sama and Belldandy know/knew that Urd was the vessel of the Lord of Terror (which I assumed, once I'd found found out about Hild, came from her mother). Mara certainly didn't.
Not true - she very certainly did know, since she dealt with LoT!Urd face-to-face, and indeed had a considerable amount to do with her having become possessed in the first place.
Ja, -n

===============================================
"Puripuri puripuri... Bang!"
Mara didn't know UNTIL she had summoned/released the LOT, and even then didn't believe until LOT!Urd blew her away.
1) They're blaming Skuld because she's the only reasonable explanation in their minds, and I'm making the assumption that Skuld's been dragging equipment to Earth from the Well of Urd, so people've been noticing. There's a good bit of arrogance in Celestial (In Nom or not) circles, so they only considered Skuld as the source of the problem, not some 'mere' human like Doug.
2) Urd is *not* the Vessel for the Lord of Terror in OMB. Assuming the LoT is Loki, he's locked up right now getting venom dripped on his face. The insult is just because she's half-demon, and therefore automatically a suspect in *anything* that happens near her.
(The supreme convergence that makes Kami-sama have a supreme roll in every pantheon *doesn't* apply to the bad guys. Hel, Surtur, and Loki are all around, all roughly equivalent in 'influence'.)--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
"Camaraderie, adventure, and steel on steel. The stuff of legend! Right, Boo?"
That's the problem
We have to keep reminding ourselves that this is an AU of the canon AMG/OMG universe. The characters are the same (mostly) but the system beneath is different.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
You know... That also makes sense, and does also fit the observed data."I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."
-- HM "Howling Mad" Wilson to more than one team-mate.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
Or it could be that the local Kami-sama sicked them on Skuld and Megumi just to see what would happen. He is a jerk after all and Bored. Look what he did to Chris last time he got Bored. Then along comes this freak of an extradimensional biker/hero/warrior type... I wouldn't put it past Kami-sama to have done this just to see the fallout.
As a worse case scenario with the right/wrong song choice Doug could remake the Legion incident (theoretically, say with a song involving words like 'Till All are One' (not that he'd know about that mess)) or thee Over god stoned ('What if God Smoked Cannabis). This makes a wild card and therefore entertainment for the Bored.
Speaking of re-reads, I just re-read chapters 2 and 3 and noticed something...Megumi is getting ragged on here...but what about *Keichi*?? If he's been paying attention at all around the place, not only has he probably picked up on some of Skuld's Ultra-Tech, but the various forms of ritual magic as well. So how come *he* isn't watched like a hawk? Or did 'Kami-sama' put some sort of subtle geas to 'keep the secret' on one of Keichi's visits 'upstairs'?
Keiichi's covered by his contract (and relationship) with Belldandy. Megumi's a bystander who got drawn in.
Keiichi's also not getting explicit instruction in how to make the cool toys, where Megumi is.

-- Bob
---------
The Internet Is For Norns.
Keiichi in general seems to make a point of doing things on his own - and also, he tends to run in different technical circles from Skuld.
Skuld's all about the robotics in her public life. Keiichi in general's about making vehicles GORILLYFASTNOWKTHX.--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
"Camaraderie, adventure, and steel on steel. The stuff of legend! Right, Boo?"
Quote:
Skuld's all about the robotics in her public life. Keiichi in general's about making vehicles GORILLYFASTNOWKTHX.
I ran across a fic a while ago that got into that -- it was supposed to be a kind of bonding discussion that'd lead to Skuld not being so "keep Keiichi away from Belldandy." Most of the story didn't impress me, and I can't remember the title or find the fic anymore, but one of K1's lines stuck with me.
The best I can recall, it went like this: "It's about testing yourself. Your way of testing yourself is to build a new device or upgrade an old one to meet whatever challenge arises. You're testing your intellect, your genius. But I test whether -- and how -- I can get the best performance out of stock, unmodified equipment -- maintained the best I can, but still just what the factory originally put on the bike. It's a test of my skill at maintenance and my reflexes as a rider."
Of course, he does do a fair bit of souping-up vehicles -- or creating new ones -- in canon, but the comment still struck me as a pretty good assessment of their differing styles.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
Heh. Now that could set up for an interesting situation where Keichi stands up to Skuld for a change, and maybe earns some mechie-cred with her. Not sure what the specifics would be, just a situation that involves something along the lines of "Look, Skuld--I know you know all about gravitics, robotics, and other technology the mortal world won't get access to for a long time to come. But *I* know *motorcycles*, and that isn't how that goes."