Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[OOC][PLOT] Galaxy Building (Where we make Magrathea look like small potatoes)
RE: [OOC][PLOT] Galaxy Building (Where we make Magrathea look like small potatoes)
Thinking about it, while I'm unsure on residents, There are numerous buildings in a wide variety of sizes just within walking distance of my house.

older manors that have 4 or 6 units, smaller Apt buildings with 12 or 16 units, and a larger complex converted from a whiskey distillery storage building, as well as more standard apartment buildings around town.

Hmm an idea for residents occurs to me.  Salem is going to be a major Villain, have Team RWBY/JNPR been stuck anywhere?
Though trying to explain that Faunus and Dust don't exist here could be a pain.  Depending on relatively when they are from, we could even have some happy (if confused) reunions with Pyrha and Penny.
... Canada's weapons/firearms laws would take some adjusting to as well ...   Confused
RE: [OOC][PLOT] Galaxy Building (Where we make Magrathea look like small potatoes)
Already called dibs on RWBY and JNPR, but you can have Team CFVY if you like. Smile

Though it may be for the best that Penny be in San Antonio. Her systems are dependent on Dust for continued operation and she will likely need modification as well as regular maintenance. Who better than Washu-chan in the absence of her makers? (Skuld comes to mind, but she's kinda busy... though I'm sure that she'd have glowing things to say about Penny's design.)

EDIT:
PS: While Blake might get away with just a hair bow, Velvet will likely need a notice-me-not working 24/7 on those ears of hers.
naw, Giant swords arm blades and gatling guns are definitely not things you can walk around with here (and I'm not sure Coco would find the local coffee options acceptable) Wink

Though Suddenly I'm picturing Roman and Neo setting up shop in some city's underworld (and trying to avoid catching Team Salem's attention as best they can)
(12-15-2018, 09:52 AM)robkelk Wrote: From what I understand (and have seen of similar buildings as the Ottawa-Montreal train passes by them), the apartment in Montreal is larger than the apartments in LA and Ottawa put together. No worries about how large or small a place is - we can find more displacees to fill it if necessary.

Or maybe not, now that I've taken a look at Google's aerial photos of Douglass Gardens Apartments. Judging by those photos, it looks to me like the complex has 150 × 1-bedroom units and 36 × 2-bedroom units. (If my estimate is off, it'll be on the low side; I'm assuming four units per building.) Sure, we could fill that big a place, but only with a lot of displacees showing up.

We could say that Phantomhive only purchased the eastern part of the complex (the section laid out to fit in a triangle), which looks to me to have 58 × 1-bedroom units and 12 × 2-bedroom units -- still a large number, but more manageable.

EDIT: Either way, the on-site manager gets a 2-bedroom place - you need an office, after all.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(12-16-2018, 12:02 AM)Norgarth Wrote: Thinking about it, while I'm unsure on residents, There are numerous buildings in a wide variety of sizes just within walking distance of my house.

older manors that have 4 or 6 units, smaller Apt buildings with 12 or 16 units, and a larger complex converted from a whiskey distillery storage building, as well as more standard apartment buildings around town.

My SI started out with a 12-unit place, and ended up needing to expand it a bit... but you might have a more stable number of residents. If I were re-starting, I'd go with a 16-unit place.

That converted distillery warehouse looks mighty nice, though - assuming you can find 65 displacees to fill it (leaving one one-bedroom place for the manager).

(12-16-2018, 12:02 AM)Norgarth Wrote: Hmm an idea for residents occurs to me.  Salem is going to be a major Villain, have Team RWBY/JNPR been stuck anywhere?
Though trying to explain that Faunus and Dust don't exist here could be a pain.  Depending on relatively when they are from, we could even have some happy (if confused) reunions with Pyrha and Penny.
... Canada's weapons/firearms laws would take some adjusting to as well ...   Confused

Yeah. I did a lot of that research already for the story; Coco would hate the restrictions she'd have to live under. ("What? Single-shot weapons only? And not concealed?")
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
You guys forget that Coco's main weapon doubles as her handbag. Wink

Yeah, it's against the law as all hell, but I would imagine that as the Unseelie threat grows, then the going wisdom will be that you don't go out without some kind of easily concealed boom stick.
(12-16-2018, 12:04 PM)robkelk Wrote: Or maybe not, now that I've taken a look at Google's aerial photos of Douglass Gardens Apartments. Judging by those photos, it looks to me like the complex has 150 × 1-bedroom units and 36 × 2-bedroom units. (If my estimate is off, it'll be on the low side; I'm assuming four units per building.) Sure, we could fill that big a place, but only with a lot of displacees showing up.

We could say that Phantomhive only purchased the eastern part of the complex (the section laid out to fit in a triangle), which looks to me to have 58 × 1-bedroom units and 12 × 2-bedroom units -- still a large number, but more manageable.

EDIT: Either way, the on-site manager gets a 2-bedroom place - you need an office, after all.
I had my own second thoughts and went looking elsewhere in the area. There's this place on Joyce Kilmer Avenue in New Brunswick proper. Currently occupied by a rehab outfit and not exactly in the best neighborhood, they're also a hefty walk from most everything, including Rutgers.

Alternatively, there's either or both of these buildings, which are in a somewhat better neighborhood and are also closer to the "downtown" and college areas. They're also just a couple blocks from The Hospital That Ate New Brunswick, AKA Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
If it helps, you need room for 29 people plus the major characters from Kimagure Orange Road. (I admit to never having seen KOR, so I don't know who the important characters are beyond the core love triangle.)

If you really want, we can add another 33 by including the remaining students in Sawaka's first homeroom class in K-On!... Smile We could also add some of the other stories you expressed an interest in (Parallel Trouble Adventure Dual!, Mai-HiME/Mai-Otome, Kodomo no Omocha, Moldiver, Fushigi Yuugi, or Project A-Ko).

Now, turning my attention to Windsor. Fraggles aren't going to take up any bedrooms, so there's plenty of room available no matter what building you choose.

I've mentioned that Mahoro Ando is somewhere in the setting, waiting for Funtom Placement Services (i.e. Lord Phantomhive and Sebastian) to find her a place to work. Are you up to hosting the Mahoromatic main characters? (Considering that one of them is a cybernetic panther, you couldn't have a "no pets" policy.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(12-16-2018, 12:16 PM)robkelk Wrote:
(12-16-2018, 12:02 AM)Norgarth Wrote: Thinking about it, while I'm unsure on residents, There are numerous buildings in a wide variety of sizes just within walking distance of my house.

My SI started out with a 12-unit place, and ended up needing to expand it a bit... but you might have a more stable number of residents. If I were re-starting, I'd go with a 16-unit place.

That converted distillery warehouse looks mighty nice, though - assuming you can find 65 displacees to fill it (leaving one one-bedroom place for the manager).
Actually, I'd say only 4 of those units are 1 bedroom units (I DL'd the floorplans of the various rooms and floors months ago, for potential use if I ever get around to GMing an RPG), the other 65 are 2 bedroom units (older plans had some at 3 bedrooms, it looks like the newer diagrams show the 2nd and 3rd combined into one larger bedroom), so that's room for _lots_ of guests. (130+ bedrooms)

Rooftop has benches and planters, should be able to install plenty of flower/garden beds up there. 

Looks like Windsor would work for sticking large groups that you (active writers) have future uses for but don't need right now.  And yes, the units look spacious enough for 'large pets'.  I've got a cat of my own, so pets wouldn't bother me.
Hey, Brent, here's something that you might want to look at. Or not. (I haven't had a chance to look at it myself; I'm just going by the name.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Had a few thoughts about possible Windsor residents.SG-1 (having them pop up in Colorado Springs would lead to uncomfortable questions), X-Men Evolution (there's even a high school within walking distance), the gAng (though Washu would have to help provide living space for Appa, and a training room for many of the potential residents)

also:
HAL: "I have detected an anomaly. The Chicago yellow pages now has an entry under 'Wizard', one Harry Dresden."
Hah!  Love the bit with HAL there.  Harry Dresden will definitely catch it's attention.

As for Appa?  That's easy.  Have a special notice-me-not cast on Appa that makes people think he's an ultralight airplane.  What's great about this is that the FAA takes a very Laissez-Faire approach to ultralight aircraft...  Just make sure that no one notices that you got more than one person aboard...

EDIT:
...Oh wait. This is up in Canada. Rob, what's the rules like up yonder in the Frozen North?
Actually I was thinking more the problem of 'where does Appa sleep?' that apartment complex has a simple parking lot, easily visible from the street, and he's too big to go inside. Maybe a rooftop shelter...

I csn't recallseeing any ultralights in this area, possibly due to the chance of official trouble if you fly across the Detroit River (aka the Canada/US border), or maybe just because the entire county is flat as a pancake (dunno what Ultralight take off requirements are like)
(12-20-2018, 12:25 AM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: EDIT:
...Oh wait.  This is up in Canada.  Rob, what's the rules like up yonder in the Frozen North?

I know there's a separate private pilot's license for ultralights (anybody with a commercial aircraft license can fly one), but I don't know the rules for the vehicle itself. I'll check this evening.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(12-15-2018, 03:29 PM)Labster Wrote: Huh, Bob's in New Jersey.  Why is the phrase "oscillation overthruster" coming to mind?

Heh.  If you want to pull in Buckaroo Banzai, I certainly won't object, but I suspect Buckaroo would strike out on his own as soon as possible and have a fortune within in a year.

As for why it's coming to mind, well...  A lot of it is set in New Brunswick (although we don't have palm trees near the county jail, regardless of what the movie thinks).  And depending on your source, the Banzai compound was in the city, too.  The club(s) that Artie's Artery was based on are long gone, sadly, engulfed and destroyed by The Hospital That Ate New Brunswick.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Another random thought: Somewhere, in a large tree in a city park, the Rescue Rangers are setting up shop.

picture this as being a bit from 'me' on the Manager's chat:

"Ugh, Mr Bean put too much detergent in his washing machine. He was a lot funnier when I didn't have to clean up his messes."
(12-20-2018, 08:42 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(12-20-2018, 12:25 AM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: EDIT:
...Oh wait.  This is up in Canada.  Rob, what's the rules like up yonder in the Frozen North?

I know there's a separate private pilot's license for ultralights (anybody with a commercial aircraft license can fly one), but I don't know the rules for the vehicle itself. I'll check this evening.

Appa might be too heavy to qualify. The maximum take-off weight (which includes the pilot) for an ultralight in Canada is 544 kg (1,199 pounds). On the other hand, you can have a two-seater.

There's also that pesky "prove you either bought or built it" prerequisite before you can get a registration...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Okay, I've updated the page for Bob's place (including adding an appropriate quote).

Now for Norgarth's place. Before I commit anything, please confirm: the displacees include Mahoromatic, Fraggle Rock, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Stargate SG-1, X-Men Evolution, and Mr. Bean?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(12-19-2018, 07:40 PM)robkelk Wrote: Hey, Brent, here's something that you might want to look at. Or not. (I haven't had a chance to look at it myself; I'm just going by the name.)

One might think, but there's no way to read the story, or even know if there were ever more than 7 pages published.

A Harry Dresden meeting with Sakura Kinomoto should happen, but would require me to start reading some novels first.  I saw like half of that TV series, back in the pre-Netflix days when you just missed shows.  But I've heard it wasn't the best representation, so, novels.

Bob Wrote:Heh.  If you want to pull in Buckaroo Banzai, I certainly won't object, but I suspect Buckaroo would strike out on his own as soon as possible and have a fortune within in a year.

As for why it's coming to mind, well...  A lot of it is set in New Brunswick (although we don't have palm trees near the county jail, regardless of what the movie thinks).  And depending on your source, the Banzai compound was in the city, too.  The club(s) that Artie's Artery was based on are long gone, sadly, engulfed and destroyed by The Hospital That Ate New Brunswick.

I was thinking more along the lines of having the Banzai Institute just appear, watermelon and all.  Also, you should do something about that lack of palm trees, seriously.  I mean, we have them at the Ventura County Jail (/me checks imagery), or well, we have them at the county courthouse, if you walk through across a magnolia lined path to the jail.

I have been wondering, on a metaphysical level, if there are certain universes that can't be dumped into ours.  We've been using a computer metaphor, but take the metaphor/location from The Magician's Nephew.  If you imagine it to be a flood in that Wood Between the Worlds, then little bits of water (story) all get dumped together into the Metacontinuity.  But well, some universes just aren't there any more.  Charn is gone by the end of the book, and Narnia is created in its place.  And by the end of the next book, Narnia is gone too (#spoilers).  Is there something about the timestream on how recently something has been written in our universe that makes it "available" to us?  Just for note, the oldest character we've written about so far is HAL-9000.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
(12-21-2018, 07:49 PM)robkelk Wrote: Okay, I've updated the page for Bob's place (including adding an appropriate quote).

Now for Norgarth's place. Before I commit anything, please confirm: the displacees include Mahoromatic, Fraggle Rock, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Stargate SG-1, X-Men Evolution, and Mr. Bean?

I must admit, I've mostly just been tossing out ideas as they occur to me.  If someone has objections/concerns about anything, I'm open to discussion.  I was more just thinking of what sources  (and associated villains) we can indicate are available. 

Similarly, now I'm wondering if the planets Cybertron and Gobatron are now floating out in the galaxy, trying figure out why space is so crowded all of a sudden.  Huh, on that line of thought, perhaps the worlds of Eternia and Third Earth as well...

@Labster
The Dresden Files Show wasn't bad, and it was enough to get me to start buying the novels at least, but yeah, there were quite a few changes from the books.

Another possible reason for sources not appearing in the story is some sources simply require Laws of Reality that are simply too divergent from our base reality/stuff already added.
(12-20-2018, 12:34 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(12-15-2018, 03:29 PM)Labster Wrote: Huh, Bob's in New Jersey.  Why is the phrase "oscillation overthruster" coming to mind?

Heh.  If you want to pull in Buckaroo Banzai, I certainly won't object, but I suspect Buckaroo would strike out on his own as soon as possible and have a fortune within in a year.

Check the wiki page for "Bob's place". Smile So... is the New Brunswick, NJ branch of Callahan's in the same strip mall as Artie's Artery?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(12-22-2018, 05:08 AM)Labster Wrote: I have been wondering, on a metaphysical level, if there are certain universes that can't be dumped into ours.  We've been using a computer metaphor, but take the metaphor/location from The Magician's Nephew.  If you imagine it to be a flood in that Wood Between the Worlds, then little bits of water (story) all get dumped together into the Metacontinuity.  But well, some universes just aren't there any more.  Charn is gone by the end of the book, and Narnia is created in its place.  And by the end of the next book, Narnia is gone too (#spoilers).  Is there something about the timestream on how recently something has been written in our universe that makes it "available" to us?  Just for note, the oldest character we've written about so far is HAL-9000.

That's part of why I mentioned analogies in two different scenes of Donaldson en Kazakiri, and our looking in on the beginning of that crisis shows the analogies that we can grasp shifting depending on who's talking. IMHO, we beings who are confined to 3+1 dimensions (three spatial and one temporal) simply cannot understand what is really happening in the Metacontinuity. In my SI's building, Kuroko would be able to come the closest because she needed to learn 11-dimensional mathematics in order to be able to teleport, but even she can only grasp a "Plato's shadow" of the reality.

On a meta level, I'd say anything that doesn't clash with what we've already planned should be okay, no matter how old it might be (if you really want The Epic of Gilgamesh, grab it) - but Norgarth raises a good point about some universes having conflicting rules of nature.

On a story level... hmmmmm... Perhaps displacees are drawn to people who can act as anchors for them, and the managers can only anchor displacees from works that they're familiar with? (Read more books, watch more shows, and get more displacees as a result?)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
As far as the TV series, its my understanding that Butcher disavows it and anything shown therein
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

The idea is that the tenants are given to the managers that are intimately familiar with the source material they appear in.

Thus it could have been a tossup between Rob and myself over who got Usagi and Company. Wink
(12-22-2018, 10:01 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: The idea is that the tenants are given to the managers that are intimately familiar with the source material they appear in.

Thus it could have been a tossup between Rob and myself over who got Usagi and Company.  Wink

I must admit, I know nothing of Mahromatic,