Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A (not-so-)stealth insult, should it become necessary
A (not-so-)stealth insult, should it become necessary
While doing research for another project, I stumbled across this British folktale character and noticed the similarity in names with a particular Harry Potter character.

I suspect that Hogwarts' headmaster would not appreciate being called by that character's name. Being compared to a villain would be bad enough, but being compared to a cardboard-cutout villain... oh, I say, sir.

"What, no - Bumblebore is a giant among men," Doug protested. Then he muttered, "A cannibalistic, evil giant. I need to find a Jack."
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: A (not-so-)stealth insult, should it become necessary
Heh. Sadly, I'm not writing a bog-standard fanfic Dumbledore, who would really deserve that appellation. Still, maybe I could work it in somewhere...
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Draco: "The Dark Lord is a GIANT among men!"

Harry: "Just call me 'Jack', then."
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Ha! The only thing I'd need for that one is a place where Doug and Draco come face to face obviously on two different sides.

Mm. Unless I deploy Draco to the Ministry battle, it might not happen... and I want him alive for the epilogues. Hm. Let me think on this.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Draco's an overconfident git. If the Inquisitorial Squad gets established in this it's quite possible he'll unwisely run his mouth.

Not against a teacher though. Doug's entirely too competent even if he's weird to let him get away with it.
Given that Draco's come yea-close to getting booted out of Hogwarts for pulling crap in Doug's class -- and he's rapidly growing quite paranoid about what hell Doug actually is -- yeah, he's going to behave.
-- Bob

I suspect everybody who was in that classroom at the time is wondering "what hell Doug actually is".

No, I'm not going to add a "the" to that quote. It's so apropos a description of Doug, as seen by his enemies.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(10-01-2018, 04:03 PM)robkelk Wrote: I suspect everybody who was in that classroom at the time is wondering "what hell Doug actually is".

No, I'm not going to add a "the" to that quote. It's so apropos a description of Doug, as seen by his enemies.

To quote from Big Trouble in Little China:
"The Chinese have a lot of Hells, Jack."

The 'Hell of the Looney Tune' would fit. Tongue
What is it this week with Big Trouble in Little China? I watched it for the first time in years last Thursday when Helen and Attila brought their copy over, and not a day has gone by since without a reference popping up for it in my sight.
-- Bob

There was a BTILC board game released at one of the major cons this summer. I need to lay hands on a copy.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.