Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do Not Play: The Bigger They Are by Machinae Supremacy
Do Not Play: The Bigger They Are by Machinae Supremacy
Just one more from me for the moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o74GsmbSDpI

Effect: When at least half the duration of the song is played within range, it turns one recognizably intact corpse into a cyber-zombie constructed with the best tech and magical base Doug understands. The result will have partial memories of the deceased but does not have their original soul, and is invariably hostile to Doug and any allies present. He has no control over it, and the reanimation is permanent, though if he keeps playing the song (or someone else keeps playing it without access to his tuneplug or a similar jamming sound source) the zombie regenerates and can operate on what would normally be overload power for the remaining duration as the damage accrued recovers immediately.

Because despite all the helpful effects he discovers, sometimes Doug's power is just a dick, and there's no real way to tell the specific downsides of the "return of a friend you thought was dead" effect without trying it once, aside from knowing that there's always a cost to be paid for magic and usually threefold for things that mess around with the natural order. (In this case, the subject being implacably hostile, being as strong normally as he could make with unlimited time and budget, and being further empowered for the remaining duration.) Doug would certainly kick himself and swear he knew better all along after the fact, but hope is the cruelest emotion after all.

It might be better used as an object lesson in the cost of magic for him to talk about in the Buffy step, since Willow is teetering on the line of dark and light for the Glory season. Doug having been an accredited magical teacher for the HP step before would probably make him the best qualified in that area to try to curb those tendencies, since Tara is a little too nice even when she's being strict, Giles was on the darker side in his younger days and mostly stays away form it as a result, and Willow is entirely self taught otherwise in the "knows enough to get in trouble, only maybe to get out afterwards" sort of way. And I think Amy was still a rat at this point? I don't remember when that got fixed, just that she was briefly a problem again in S6 or 7.
--
‎noli esse culus
RE: Do Not Play: The Bigger They Are by Machinae Supremacy
Quote:When at least half the duration of the song is played within range,
Because the first half of the song's runtime is nothing but instrumental...

As for the effects... can't say your suggestion isn't good. But I do find it a little squicky personally. Doesn't mean i won't use it if it's the best choice for the right moment, but... yeah.

Also, I like how you think, but I have a different lesson in mind for DW13.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
RE: Do Not Play: The Bigger They Are by Machinae Supremacy
Oh yeah, this would definitely be a down-beat if it came up - first off losing an ally in the first place is usually a darker moment for most stories, then there's the hope spot of "but wait, maybe we can still turn this back..." but instead it's a boss fight against the face of a former friend, who knows just enough of the shared history to really make it hurt without being susceptible to being talked around. Definitely something to go in the stage when things look bleakest, before the heroes find some way to save what remains and build anew in the broken places, even if what was lost can not be regained in its own right.
--
‎noli esse culus