Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[IC][Story][Arc 1] Rob and Brent's as-yet-untitled sidestory (Rob's #10, Brent's TBD)
RE: [IC][Story][Arc 1] Rob and Brent's as-yet-untitled sidestory (Rob's #10, Brent's TBD)
It's been a while, so recap time during the promised lunch. Skating will have to wait a bit.

Ottawa, ON, Canada
Saturday, January 14, 2017
12:24 PM ET

Meanwhile, metaphorically squeezed into the original building's common room...

"What is this?"

Ryoko turned to Ayeka. "Haven't you ever seen a sandwich before, princess?"

"I know what a sandwich is. Sasami-chan and I have made sandwiches for Tenchi-dono in the past. It's what is on the sandwich that I don't recognize."

"That's sweet new peas and brown gravy, Masaki-sama," Makoto replied as she put a plate down in front of Mihoshi. "Only the best for our visitors!"

"Gravy? On a sandwich? How am I supposed to eat it?"

Ryoko grinned. "You could try putting it in your mouth. You know, like every other sandwich."

Ayeka's eyes narrowed. "That look on your face tells me you know more that you're letting on." She looked over to Mihoshi, and saw that the Galaxy Police officer was eating her sandwich and the accompanying french fries with a knife and fork. "Oh, yes, of course that is how you eat this sort of sandwich."

There was a different concern farther down the table. "Is the crust supposed to still be on the bread?" Osaka asked.

"I don't know..."

"Of course it is," Mii answered before Yomi could continue. "Don't waste food! Especially not in the middle of winter, when there's snow on the ground and you can't get more food easily. You won't even notice with all the gravy on top."

Yomi nodded. "That does make sense. Is this a low-calorie gravy?"

Mii grinned. "Let me answer this way: You're going to be skating this afternoon, so you'll work off all the extra calories."

"That's what I was afraid of." Yomi did her best to make sure the french fries beside her sandwich didn't have any gravy on them.

The size of the serving was a concern at the next table over. "That's a lot of french fries," commented Sakura (who had removed her hard-hat to be polite).

"Mr. Donaldson said something about 'carb loading' being good for people who were going to be doing a lot of exercise," Maika answered as she added a few more fries to Sakura's plate and put a bowl of fries on the table between Sakura and Tomoyo. "He also said that the french fries taste even better with gravy and salt and pepper on them."

"I don't know about that," Hayate commented from across the table, "but I'll eat the potatoes if you don't want them. I'm still building up my leg muscle mass, and it looks like my kind of magic takes more calories than yours does anyway, so I need the extra food."

And near the far end of that table, the nature of the sandwiches was an issue.

"I would be willing to eat just bread."

"Don't worry, Ms. Ayanami," replied Ami as she reached for one of the plates that Makoto had set aside especially for their vegetarian visitors. "We expected that somebody would prefer to not eat chicken. This sandwich is tofu, with onion gravy instead of chicken gravy. And the potato sticks are baked, not fried; there's no chance of them having come into contact with grease."

"Thank you for being considerate," Rei replied, the ghost of a smile dancing on her lips.

Ruiko grinned and looked up from the end of the table. "The party wouldn't be at all fun if somebody was left out!"

"It would be more fun if everybody was here," Shinji commented.

"Don't pay attention to other redheads!"

"You're not jealous, are you, Asuka-san?" The smile on Rei's face developed more character to accompany her comment.

"What reason would I have to be jealous?"

Ami smiled... after she was certain that none of the EVA pilots could see her. Then she noticed the youngest Misaka Sister and Accelerator at the common room's doorway; she waved to them and pointed out two empty chairs.

Mimi smiled and nodded while Accelerator tilted his head slightly in the smallest-possible acknowledgment of Ami's greeting. They sat down between Saber and Rin. "I trust that you have not been punished unduly?" Rin asked.

"Well, maybe, Mimi Misaka answers. I have to think about what I did to Mimi-neesan, Mimi Misaka adds."

"That's worse than a physical punishment, or having to miss an enjoyable event," commented Saber. "It is, however, the action that will lead to the best long-term results, assuming you think about the right things. If you wish to talk with me about your punishment, I would be willing to help you after lunch."

"Thanks, Mimi replies quietly."

A few minutes later, the twinned Mimis walked in - slowly. "How are you?" Touma asked with some concern.

"We're okay," they replied in unison. "We didn't get yelled at," one Mimi continued.

"But I kind of wish we did," added the other.

"Then it would be over and done with."

"And we wouldn't need to worry about what's going to happen later."

Touma winced in sympathy. "Yeah. The anticipation sucks."

"Touma!" Index put her knife and fork down. "Mind your language around young ladies. It's bad enough when you use those words when talking to me, but to use them when talking with innocent young women is even worse!"

"I'm not innocent," both Mimis said quickly.

"Let me decide that," Index countered with a slight air of superiority. "What did you do that you think is so bad?"

"I killed my co-worker so that I could take her job."

Index's jaw dropped. After a moment, she recovered and replied, "That is bad, yes. You know yourself - yourselves, better than I do."

Touma grabbed the nearest bowl of french fries. "Want more?"

Index glared at him. "Don't think that you can distract me by appealing to my base appetite, Touma!" She continued talking while helping herself to a plateful of french fries. "I have taken holy vows! But it would be rude to Kino-san if I were to refuse to partake in her meal, so I have no choice but to accept. Don't think I enjoy this," she finished just before enjoying eating a forkful of fries.

"Here," Makoto whispered as she put plates in front of both Mimis. "Hot chicken sandwiches."

"Thanks. Why are you whispering?" they replied at the same volume.

Instead of answering, Makoto glanced quickly at Index.

"Oh." One Mimi took a drink of water, then muttered, "I was expecting more of Mr. Rhodes's hot chocolate."

"Ben said that's for after skating," Makoto replied.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown

Messages In This Thread
RE: [IC][Story][Arc 1] Rob and Brent's as-yet-untitled sidestory (Rob's #10, Brent's TBD) - by robkelk - 12-22-2019, 04:13 PM