Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[IC][Story][Arc 1] Rob and Brent's as-yet-untitled sidestory (Rob's #10, Brent's TBD)
RE: [IC][Story][Arc 1] Rob and Brent's as-yet-untitled sidestory (Rob's #10, Brent's TBD)
Eventually, the last holdouts joined the luncheon. Ben headed for the seat that Nanoha and Fate had kept open between them, bringing their and Hayate's Intelligent Devices with him. Usagi sat beside Mamoru, and Rob ... noticed that they had failed to take into account the possibility that somebody would Twin herself. "Guess I'll stand," he muttered. Then he noticed that the Mimi Hanyus were playing rock-paper-scissors between bites, each repeatedly throwing the same hand as the other. "Mimi, stop playing with yourself during lunch."

Jayne snickered. Some of the others rolled their eyes.

"Okay, that came out wrong. What is so important about jan-ken-pon that it can't wait until you've finished lunch?"

They both looked up at him. "Winner gets to decide whether to stay or go."

"Go where?" asked Kaname, while Asuka looked over with obvious concern.

"Hollywood!"

Asuka immediately lost interest in the conversation.

"Good idea," snarked Brent. "This town isn't big enough for both of you."

"It does have a place for universally-displaced people to live, though," rejoined Rob. "Wherever could Ms. Hanyu possibly find some place like that in L.A.?"

Some of the more comically-aware people in the room looked at Tomo - who refused to say anything. She knew better than to interrupt somebody else's routine. Brent nodded slightly, once, in appreciation. "Well, if you put it that way, I suppose we could find a cot for her in a corner somewhere."

"A cot? I'm sure we could find a bedroom for her," Akira answered in a pleasant voice, showing the smile that gondola passengers loved and apprentice gondoliers had learned to fear.

Brent took the hint and dropped the impromptu comedy routine. "Yes, we can find room for another tenant. Maybe somebody who's in an apartment by herself would like an apartment-mate."

"Good thing you said 'herself'," Shaoran said quietly.

"But that can wait until after we've gone skating," Brent finished.

"And skating waits until after we've finished lunch!" Makoto added while wheeling out a waiter's caddy filled with plates of sweets. She took a plate off the top shelf and placed it in front of Mikoto, taking away the plate that no longer held a sandwich and fries.

"What kind of Cthulhoid monstrosity is that?" Touma asked upon seeing the confection.

Makoto frowned at Touma. "If you don't want a raindrop cake, just say so."

"Pray tell, just what is a raindrop cake?" Rin asked.

"A little something I learned how to make from the Japanese community here. It's mostly clear gelatin, with a dusting of kinako. The pattern inside is made from condensed milk."

"I'll try one!"

Makoto grinned. "Of course you will, Konori-san," she replied, knowing her apartment-mate's preferences in sweets and drinks.

"I'll have to decline," said Rei Ayanami quietly.

"Why?"

Chiyo-chan looked up at Makoto. "Gelatin is made from collagen."

"What is coll- no, don't tell me. I think I can figure that out on my own." Makoto turned back to Rei. "I'm so sorry. I didn't realize."

Completely deadpan, Rei replied, "That's all right. I'm sweet enough already."

"And I'll wait until after I've eaten my sandwich," Rob added before anybody could react. "Don't wait for me, everyone; I'll grab a seat in the kitchen and eat there."

"No, you won't," Ami said as she stood up. "Take my chair. I'll save my dessert for after we come back from skating."

"If you insist...?"

"Please."

Food was distributed and eaten, and the Mimis continued to play with themselves until one of them finally threw rock when the other threw paper. The winner looked at her twin, then at Brent, then at Minako and the other Sailor Senshi... then leaned over to the other Mimi and said "Break a leg. I'm staying here."

The other Mimi's grin threatened to split her face open. "Thank you!" Then she looked around at everyone else. "Ano... could somebody lend me a suitcase, please?"

"Our clothes are still in their bags," the other Mimi pointed out. "Didn't you see that they were in the other building's common room too?"

To be continued ... eventually with skating, really!
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown

Messages In This Thread
RE: [IC][Story][Arc 1] Rob and Brent's as-yet-untitled sidestory (Rob's #10, Brent's TBD) - by robkelk - 02-02-2020, 09:15 PM