Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Well, THAT Power Idea Didn't Work Out...
Well, THAT Power Idea Didn't Work Out...
I had the notion for an amusing but not enormously useful power from the song "Gloria," Laura Branigan's 1982 remake of an Italian song.  I pictured it as basically being a fun party trick.  And then I thought a bit more about some of the ramifications, and can you say "Gamebreaker," boys and girls?

Quote:Gloria, you're always on the run now
Running after somebody, you gotta get him somehow
I think you've got to slow down, before you start to blow it
I think you're headed for a breakdown, so be careful not to show it

You really don't remember, was it something that he said?
Are the voices in your head calling, Gloria?
Gloria, don't you think you're fallin'?
If everybody wants you, why isn't anybody callin'?
You don't have to answer
Leave them hangin' on the line, oh-oh-oh, calling Gloria
Gloria (Gloria), I think they got your number (Gloria)
I think they got the alias (Gloria) that you've been living under (Gloria)
But you really don't remember, was it something that they said?

A-ha-ha, a-ha-ha, Gloria, how's it gonna go down?
Will you meet him on the main line, or will you catch him on the rebound?
Will you marry for the money, take a lover in the afternoon?
Feel your innocence slipping away, don't believe it's comin' back soon

And you really don't remember, was it something that he said?
Gloria (Gloria), I think they got your number (Gloria)
I think they got the alias (Gloria) that you've been living under (Gloria)
But you really don't remember, was it something that they said?
Y'see, the power I had in mind is that this gives Doug the contact information for a person, especially if female, he's met but doesn't know the address, phone, e-mail, etc., maybe not even the name.  "I think they got your number ... I think they got the alias ... that you've been living under...."  

Except that then I realized, unless we add more limitations (starting with "it only works if played while the target is within his 33m range"), this is a way for the Loon to track down practically anybody he's met.  Even with that limit, it's still....  Want to know where the Dark Kingdom's agents have their base?  Just take 4 minutes 50 to play this during the next youma confrontation, aimed at the one who appears to be in charge!  (Note: some versions of the song cut out enough to only run about 3 minutes 50.)  Granted, that is 4 or 5 minutes that Doug can't use any of his other songs....
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
RE: Well, THAT Power Idea Didn't Work Out...
There's a balancing factor, though: "Are the voices in your head calling, Gloria?"

Sure, Doug can get somebody's contact information by using this song - but that person also knows that Doug has her contact information. The voices tell her.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: Well, THAT Power Idea Didn't Work Out...
(10-02-2018, 05:38 PM)robkelk Wrote: There's a balancing factor, though: "Are the voices in your head calling, Gloria?"

Sure, Doug can get somebody's contact information by using this song - but that person also knows that Doug has her contact information. The voices tell her.

But she really doesn't remember; it says so right in the song....  That is, she may suspect he's learned the info, but the first stanza suggests she's "headed for a breakdown," so she may pass the voices off as paranoia.

Speaking of which, I just realized that "I'll Play for You" targeting Abba's "The Visitors" at somebody will produce more than five-and-a-half minutes of intense nervous breakdown on the victim's part, because the refrain of "The Visitors" involves several repetitions of the statement, "I'm cracking up!"

“We’ve had our differences, but he’s seen the light … and I made sure he moved toward it, instead of coming back.”