Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's play - "There's Nothing Better" style! (or, "tell us a story")
Let's play - "There's Nothing Better" style! (or, "tell us a story")
A bit meta, but something that even the casual readers here can take part in. I'm offering up one of the more cliched fanfic ideas in recent history; you get to give a capsule description (or an entire story) showing how one of the fictional characters in our setting would approach the setup.

If you want to write it as a series of posts, here's Post #0:

"What'r'ya up to, Rob-oji?"

"Oh, hi, Chibi-Usa! I'm seeing whether I can get Washuu-chan's holographic chamber to work like the ones in Star Trek."

She thought for a moment. "Probably not. Washuu-chan builds safeguards into hers."

Rob grinned for a moment. "That's not quite what I meant. I'm trying to write an interactive story."

"Oh! What's the plot hook?"

"The premise?" Chibi-Usa nodded. "It's a bit derivative... There's a world where most people don't know magic exists, but the ones that do know have made a boarding school to teach it. One teaching job is always available at the start of the year - some people think it's cursed so nobody can hold the job for two years - and the government's going to send in a special teacher that nobody likes if the school can't find somebody to teach. That's why the person playing the story gets to go to the boarding school; he or she is hired to be that teacher."

"Rob-oji, I read that book in the school library. That's not 'a bit derivative'; that's the fifth Harry Potter book. Except that the person playing the story gets to be the Dark Arts teacher instead of Dolorous Umbrage."

Rob smiled. "You're right. Don't tell anybody, okay?"

"Why not?"

"I want to see how many people recognize it when they play. Oh, and her name is pronounced 'Dolores Umbridge'."

Chibi-Usa grinned. "I know. I also know some big words that Ami-neesan taught me."

Rob blinked, then grinned. "You little scamp..." They both laughed.

"Hey, there's a new program on the menu..."

Select a displacee and tell us how that person's adventure goes. You don't need to write an entire fanfic for this - a plot outline is fine - unless you really want to.

I suspect Bob's entry can be found here. Smile Unless, for some strange reason, he wants to write another one.

EDIT: And there's nothing in the program description that identifies it as Potter fanfic. If a displacee comes from a setting where the books weren't available (pre-2004 for Japan, according th Wikipedia), they might not recognize the setup.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: Let's play - "There's Nothing Better" style! (or, "tell us a story")
Quote:I suspect Bob's entry can be found here.
<snort>
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....