Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[OOC][PLOT] The Third Thread of Planning for Arc 1 - Arrivals
RE: [OOC][PLOT] The Third Thread of Planning for Arc 1 - Arrivals
(03-05-2019, 02:32 PM)Dartz Wrote: This is where the fact that I've lived in a box for far too long comes in to play. I don't know if it's obvious or not but I really don't comprehend people well enough to make interpersonal drama work. Or even know most of what people do together

That's actually a little worrying.  My standard advice for "I don't understand people" is tell you to join a tabletop role-playing game.  It's a closed environment that allows for experimentation and mistakes.  If it's a deeper "I see what people do but I don't understand why anyone would want to do that", it's probably more about thinking outside your own value system.  But the rule of thumb is that it's not all that implausible for a human to want anything, but to have all sorts of other desires and doubts.

But... the good news is that you don't have human characters.  We can expect sexaroids to only emulate human desires, after all.  And given what kind of people they are, I'd expect some sociosexuality.  If you can handle yuri smut, a lot of the manga by Mira (circle: Peachpulsar) are really good.  There's a lot of sex, but also a focus on emotions and relationships, and power and attraction.  EARTH GIRLS is probably the best, it's about a lesbian band living in prehistoric times.

Switching topics, I think I've finally figured out how to write Akari's afterparty scene.  I'm not sure if I'm borrowing Coyote from Gunnerkrigg Court, or just a character who looks and acts a lot like him.  But as usual, I had chosen the right answer by accident -- Akari wearing a costume of Scheherazade  -- and just needed to take that idea to it's logical conclusion.  Once I get that written, it's the last major scene from me for Halloween, unless I decide I need to include the new gondola delivery inside the Halloween story itself.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
(03-06-2019, 01:56 AM)Labster Wrote: Once I get that written, it's the last major scene from me for Halloween, unless I decide I need to include the new gondola delivery inside the Halloween story itself.

And I only have two major scenes left to write for the Halloween party - Chibi-Usa discovering Nanoha, and Sosuke and Mikoto sparring.

BA, are you planning any more major scenes?

Dartz, have you changed your mind and want to write some party scenes?

If not, then I'll pull the work together once Brent and I have finished our scenes. (Then I can write the (first) big raid on the Unseelie.)

EDIT: Oh, and I'll need to know what costumes 33-Stars, the Westwoods displacees, and their managers are wearing.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(03-06-2019, 01:56 AM)Labster Wrote:
(03-05-2019, 02:32 PM)Dartz Wrote: This is where the fact that I've lived in a box for far too long comes in to play. I don't know if it's obvious or not but I really don't comprehend people well enough to make interpersonal drama work. Or even know most of what people do together

That's actually a little worrying.  .

I know what happened and how. It's a long story. Actually had a game group going for years until my work sort of broke it by forcing me to call off due to hours running long on working days.

And I know it's counter-intuitive, but I've been trying to keep the outright smut out of 33-stars stories. The house is probably going to stay empty until they integrate better. Or maybe filled with lifeforms they can't effect - or can't effect them.

Quote: Dartz, have you changed your mind and want to write some party scenes?

The Stars can be there. I've no objection to other people writing them and the girls can pick-up whatever the crowd's interested in even if they might not be able to be creative about it. My soul contribution would be: "What's it like?"......"Give me a few minutes and I can show you"......"I don't feels so - trapped - anymore."

- up to interpretation what Meg means by 'trapped'

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
(03-06-2019, 09:25 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 01:56 AM)Labster Wrote: Once I get that written, it's the last major scene from me for Halloween, unless I decide I need to include the new gondola delivery inside the Halloween story itself.

And I only have two major scenes left to write for the Halloween party - Chibi-Usa discovering Nanoha, and Sosuke and Mikoto sparring.

BA, are you planning any more major scenes?

Dartz, have you changed your mind and want to write some party scenes?

If not, then I'll pull the work together once Brent and I have finished our scenes. (Then I can write the (first) big raid on the Unseelie.)

EDIT: Oh, and I'll need to know what costumes 33-Stars, the Westwoods displacees, and their managers are wearing.

I'm torn between dressing up as a young version of Edward Teague (father of the infamous Captain Jack Sparrow) and Eric Draven from The Crow - both of them are bad-ass as all hell, possess worldly wisdom, and are hellah skilled with the guitar.

Though I'm leaning a bit more towards a 'clean-cut' (don't wanna look TOO scary) version of Teague, if only for this one bit from the Pirates of the Caribbean series...

Quote:Jack: "You've seen it all, done it all. You survived. That’s the trick, isn’t it? To survive?"
Teague: "It’s not just about living forever, Jackie. The trick is living with yourself forever."

I do want to work out the scene where he meets Nanoha and her family.  I have this fun idea where Nanoha sees the guitar on his back and asks if it's just part of the costume or if he can really play it.

Thing is, I've always wanted to play guitar, especially fingert-style, so he'll ask Washu-chan for a small favor... 'teach' him a handful of skills for things he's always wanted to do, like speak Japanese fluently, play guitar and piano, stuff like that.

So, when Nanoha asks, he'll say, "I sure can."

And then he whips it out and starts to play...

Of course, one of the other customers calls out for more.  Ben agrees, but on the condition that they got places to be, so that'll be the last one for now.

And dear GOD does he deliver.

This will set things up for later on.  The Takamachi's realize that a great deal customers can be brought in if Ben were to perform there on a regular basis, so they work out a date before they go.  Ben will go ahead and drop the bomb on them then when he's not otherwise tied up and it's after-hours for the Midoriya.

Thoughts?
Well, I already had plans for how Chibi-Usa was going to tell Nanoha and Fate about the Metacontinuity, but I hadn't given any thought to how the rest of the families were going to find out. I'll leave that to Benjamin.

EDIT: Oh... Is Lindy along for the ride? Or is Fate boarding with the Takamachi family?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I was going to have it be that Lindy, Chrono, the Nakajima's, and others would wind up at one of the NPC households. Unless there's a better idea?
Oh, and hey, I figured out who "Akari's mysterious beautiful customer" will be. I'll try to put enough details in the story so you can guess who it is. Muhahaha.
Okay, so quick refresher - who all is going along for the "Uptown Trick-or-Treating Trip"? Ben's going to be driving, so he's in for sure, but if there is more than fourteen others, then we'll need another driver. (Don't worry, despite being a five cylinder turbo-diesel, the van is a civilised road machine.)

From my contingent... I'd say that Sasami, Ryo-Ohki, River, and Mihoshi will probably go.

(Really, let's not kid ourselves. River was original an incredibly mischievous little girl. And letting her go Trick-or-Treating will probably be helpful for her because it'd be a bit like letting her recover some of her lost childhood.)
Dramatis Personae Triccus Treatii
- "Adults"
- Ben:
- Brent: Tuxedo Mask
- Ami: Mami Tomoe
- Tomo: Utena
- Koyomi: Anthy
- Minako: "The Girl" from The Seven Year Itch (Marilyn)

- "Kids"
- Chibiusa: Hikaru (Angelic Layer)
- Diana: Hayate, in Unison with the original Reinforce
- Sakura: Belldandy
- Shaoran: Thor
- Tomoyo: Skuld
- Mira:   Urd
- Chiyo: <Cheerleader> <Takamachi Nanoha> <Chiyobits> ...?
- Akari: Scheherezade
- Aika:  Cinderella
- Alice: Alice Liddell
- Ruiko (probably not going): Yomiko Readman
- River:
- Ryo-Ohki:
- Sasami:

I'm counting 17 or 18 human-sized members, and 3 that could theoretically travel in a smaller form.  Though if Diana travels as a cat I'm not sure how she dons her costume unless she borrows Usagi's disguise pen.  Also there are missing costumes.  We need costumes, and soon.

I think your late additions follow my "one idiot limit".  Mihoshi could violate it, but she's distractable, and in the long run she's luckier if she doesn't interfere in the scene.
The two smallest ones (in human form) will enjoy being in Scrappy's two jump seats in the cab. They're perfectly child-sized, and the rest can ride in the bed.

Ben will definitely go as a pirate.

Suggestions for Mihoshi and Sasami would be nice. Ryo-Ohki can go as 'herself' and River.... I just had the hilarious idea of River dressing up as Pretty Sammy. Wink

Ben: ".... If this is gonna be a regular thing for us, we may have to get a minivan as well. Brent, think you can handle Mini-Beast while I drive Scrappy?"
(03-07-2019, 05:09 PM)Labster Wrote: Dramatis Personae Triccus Treatii
- Ruiko (probably not going): Yomiko Readman

Yeah, she'll stay at the party and listen to the live bands.

(03-07-2019, 05:09 PM)Labster Wrote: I'm counting 17 or 18 human-sized members, and 3 that could theoretically travel in a smaller form. Though if Diana travels as a cat I'm not sure how she dons her costume unless she borrows Usagi's disguise pen. Also there are missing costumes. We need costumes, and soon.

The one canon transformation we see in the anime, Luna transforms into a fully-dressed human. So Diana dons her costume, switches to cat for the ride, and switches back to costumed human when they get there.

(03-07-2019, 05:09 PM)Labster Wrote: I think your late additions follow my "one idiot limit". Mihoshi could violate it, but she's distractable, and in the long run she's luckier if she doesn't interfere in the scene.

Continuity glitch: Mihoshi is already established as being back at Westwoods, talking with Sakaki and feeding Ryo-ohki.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(03-07-2019, 06:15 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: Suggestions for Mihoshi and Sasami would be nice.  Ryo-Ohki can go as 'herself' and River....  I just had the hilarious idea of River dressing up as Pretty Sammy.  Wink

Nah - River gets to be Pixy Misa. Sasami gets to be Pretty Sammy. The role was made for her. Wink

EDIT: Or I suppose River could be Sammy and Sasami could be Misa.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
EDIT: On second thought, let's keep this as a surprise.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
robkelk Wrote:Continuity glitch: Mihoshi is already established as being back at Westwoods, talking with Sakaki and feeding Ryo-ohki.

There are two Mihoshis? Oh my God! What have you done?
Pffft.

Salright, Mihoshi can stay. Though we ought to throw in a scene where she's sad because she missed out of Trick-or-Treating.

EDIT: Nah, River would definitely want to be Pixie Misa. Try as she might, she's got an irrepressible 'bad girl' streak in her. Wink
It's not just Mihoshi, but Ryo-ohki that would stay too. If you feel strongly about it, we can move that scene earlier in the day, but I'll need something else for Sakaki to wander into. Maybe Washuu's lab.
Submitted for your consideration:

"That was some decent loot," commented Tomo as the group made its way down the laneway and headed for the next building. "Hey, is that a cafe?"

Everybody slowed down and took a look. Sure enough, there were tables and chairs arranged in front of the building, and a few people were enjoying tea and cake. "Technically, it isn't a cafe, it's a tea house."

"That's really pedantic, Aika-sempai," muttered Alice.

Tomoyo looked at the building, then said, "I think it might be a Japanese-style cake shop. It has a Japanese style name: Midoriya."

Brent and Ben abruptly stopped walking. A moment later, so did everyone else. Chiyo was the first to ask, "What's wrong?"

"Did you know they were in your home city?"

"Are we sure it's them?"

"Who else would it be?"

"Can you see who's there from here?"

Yomi growled in anger. "Are you two going to tell us what's going on, or are you going to keep playing The Game?"

"Sorry," both landlords said in unison. Ben continued, "If they're who we think they are, then we need to introduce ourselves very carefully. Brent, you let everybody know who we think they are. I'll go take a closer look."

A few minutes later, the girls had been given a quick description of a show and Ben had returned. "Chibi-Usa, Diana, would the two of you go trick-or-treat on your own there, please?"

Diana grinned. "This is out of that anime that you showed us, isn't it?" Ben nodded, and Diana continued, "Okay, I'll go."

"So will I, to keep Diana company." The two girls walked up to the Midoriya's door, knocked, and said "Trick or treat!"

The door was opened by a girl wearing a Juuban Municipal Junior High School uniform, with blonde hair arranged in twin-tails. The only flaws in her costume were the pin at her bow and that her hair was tied with black ribbons. She took one look at Diana's costume and said "Oh my God." She almost smiled, realized Diana was in a costume, turned her head, said, "Miyuki-san, could you take over, please?", and without waiting for a reply took Chibi-Usa and Diana's hands and lead them away from the Midoriya's front door. "Where did you get that costume?"

"I made it."

"Your costume is pretty good, too, but there's a couple of things wrong," Chibi-Usa said before Diana could continue. "The pin on your bow isn't right, and Usagi-mama doesn't wear ribbons in her hair."

"Usagi-mama?"

Chibi-Usa looked around to make sure nobody was watching (except for the other trick-or-treaters), grinned and grabbed her locket from her pocket. "Moon Power, Make Up!" A moment later, Sailor Chibi Moon was standing where Chibi-Usa had been a moment earlier. Diana transformed into her cat form and jumped onto Chibi-Moon's shoulder.

The pin on the blonde's bow chose that moment to say "Magical reaction detected" - because the girl was standing there with her mouth half-open in amazement.

"We were right!" Chibi-Moon looked straight at the pin. "Hello, I'm Chiba Usagi, or Sailor Chibi-Moon."

"Bardiche."

"Happy to meet you!"

The blonde finally regained her wits. "Er... and I'm Fate Testarossa. Pleased to meet you."

"And I'm Diana! If you don't mind me asking, who else that you know is here?"

Inspiration. EDIT: Inspiration #2
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
"Why, it must be Fate -- us meeting like this!"
Just skimmed over it during stops since I’m driving. I’ll dig into it a bit more later tonight/this morning.
Okay, minor quibble: there wouldn't be any tables or chairs outside because that space is used as a driveway and parking spaces.  Sorry.

More details about the Trick-or-Treating expedition.  The City of San Antonio and its enclaves have designated areas and hours for Trick-or-Treating.  Fortunately, Olmos Park is one of those designated zones.  The yellow-highlighted areas in the map-snip below show you where:

The designated times are from 6pm to 8:30pm - which should be plenty of time to get a good haul, and the lower boundary is only 1,000 feet North of the Midoriya.

I've tweaked the scene and added in what would happen inside.  Also, some gotchas I caught.  Such as, if Ben's already inside, what's the point of having them knock on the door?  Especially since it's a business during business hours.  (Would you knock on the door of a Tim Horton's before going inside?)

Now, if it was the door to the apartment upstairs, that'd be a different matter.

HOWEVER.

Ben will exhort upon Brent that these people MIGHT be actual, bonafied ninja.  Probably not a great idea to send Chibi-Usa and Diana in like that, even if they can handle themselves to an extent.  It's an outside context situation, and that's the last thing you need to be sending a couple of little girls into.

I'm not saying that it wouldn't work out in the end, just that Ben has VERY clear ideas about the potential dangers and he prefers to erre on the side of caution without anyone going behind his back in a way that could get him or his charges hurt.

So for the moment, I'm leaving that part out until we can work out what happens.

Quote:"That was some decent loot," commented Tomo as the group made its way down the laneway and headed for the next building. "Hey, is that a cafe?"

Everybody slowed down and took a look. Sure enough, there was a building with a classic Art Deco facade with a few people inside enjoying tea and cake.

"Technically, it isn't a cafe, it's a tea house."

"That's really pedantic, Aika-sempai," muttered Alice.

Tomoyo looked at the building, then said, "I think it might be a Japanese-style cake shop. It has a Japanese style name: Midoriya."

Brent and Ben abruptly stopped walking. A moment later, so did everyone else. Chiyo was the first to ask, "What's wrong?"

"Did you know they were in your home city?"

"Never had a clue until now."

"Could it be a coincidence?"

"As of late, I don't do 'Coincidences'.  Can you see who's inside from here?"

Yomi growled in anger. "Are you two going to tell us what's going on, or are you going to keep playing The Game?"

"Sorry," both landlords said in unison. Ben continued, "If they're who we think they are, then we need to introduce ourselves very carefully. Brent, call Belldandy, let her know we may have an issue here, then let everybody know who we think they are. I'll go take a closer look."

---

"Hello!  Welcome to the Midoriya!" chirped a teenaged Japanese girl with her hair in braids and large, round eyeglasses over her eyes.  "Are you ready to order or do you need a moment?"

Ben smiled and reminded himself that he was very likely dealing with Ninja, and they'd be able to see right through him if he half-assed this.  Fortunately, he knew that the best way to lie was to tell the truth while omitting details.

"Howdy.  Just wanted to check this place out.  I was in Japan for three years while I was in the US Navy and I loved every minute of it."

"Oh!  Then our store must be very nostalgic for you."

"Very much so," replied Ben with a smile.  "So I'll probably be a regular customer from here on out.  My name's Benjamin.  What's yours?"

"Takamachi Miyuki," replied the girl, confirming Ben's suspicions.  He resisted the urge to geek out, and successfully as Miyuki was none the wiser.  "Or... Just Miyuki.  It's still kind of strange getting used to how Americans address each other so informally."

"No worries," replied Ben easily.  "If it makes you more comfortable, I'm more than happy to call you Takamachi-san instead."

Miyuki shook her head.  "No, there's no need.  If you are going to be a regular customer, then it'd get confusing having several of us answer to you all at once."

"Ah, I see then.  Miyuki-san, then?"

"Just Miyuki is fine.  So, do you see anything you want?"

"Not just yet.  I have a group that I need to get back to outside - I'm helping to chaperon some youngsters while they go Trick-or-Treating."

"Oh, so that explains your costume.  Who are you supposed to be though?"

"A young version of Edward Teague, the father of Captain Jack Sparrow.  I didn't want to do the old and grizzled version because that might scare some of the kids.  And I don't like doing that even if it is Halloween."

"Onēsan," came a girls voice from behind the counter, "watashi wa kaji o oemashita. Feito to issho ni ikimashou ka."

Ben turned to the source and froze dead-still.

There, wearing the uniform for the Midoriya, was a small Japanese girl, with brightly shining red hair and brilliant and deep blue eyes.

Oh my God... That's really Nanoha!?  She's such a beautiful little girl! came the unbidden thought.

Nanoha herself wasn't unaffected.  She looked up at the strange American and was transfixed by his gaze, never minding the fact that he was dressed up in the most elaborate pirate captain costume she'd ever seen.  Rather than feel crushed by his intensity, the girl felt compelled by it.  There was something in those eyes of his that some part of her recognized, but her conscious mind couldn't describe it.

ALERT! came Raising Heart's voice in her head.  ANTI-MAGIC REACTION DETECTED!

What? thought Nanoha back at her device.  What is that supposed to mean?

MY MASTER, THE MAN EMITS MAGIC DISRUPTION FIELD.  IT IS WEAK, BUT DANGER STILL.

But... I don't think he is dangerous.  To us at least.

DESIGNATE FRIENDLY UNIT, MY MASTER?

...Yes.

"Is something wrong?" said Miyuki, a bit confused.

Ben snapped out of it.  "Oh, sorry.  Just had an Aspie moment."  Not entirely a lie.

"Aspie moment?" parroted Miyuki.

"I have Asperger's Syndrome.  It's a very high-functioning form of autism, and every now and then I can get lost in a moment, so to speak."

"But... you seem alright?" said Miyuki in confusion.

"Autism is rarely something so cut-and-dry.  I'm an outlier known as an Extroverted Aspie.  All the social awkwardness with none of the tendency towards being a wallflower.  Anyhow, the reason why I spaced out was because during my time in Japan, I never saw any girls as young as you, little miss, with such hair and eyes."

"It's real!" cried out Nanoha defiantly.

Miyuki inwardly winced.  It looks like he wasn't kidding about the socially awkward part, she thought to herself.

Ben, meanwhile, berated himself harshly.  Smooth move Ben - way to open mouth, insert foot there.

"I apologize," said Ben quickly, knowing for sure he was turning pink with embarrassment.  "I didn't mean to offend."

"Mou," replied Nanoha grumpily.

"How about I play a song to make it up to you?" he asked.

Nanoha blinked as Ben swung the guitar around from his back.  "You mean that's not just part of your costume?" she asked in awe.

"Well, it kinda is," said Ben as he checked the tuning on each string and made a few little adjustments.  "The person I'm dressed as spends a lot of time playing when he isn't busy.  Right, here we go then."

And with that, Ben began to pick the strings of the guitar, playing the unmistakable opening bars of Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here and weaving rhythm, melody, and baseline together, flawlessly capturing the emotional pull of the song.

And then he began to sing, eyes closed as the emotion, pure and raw, flowed through his voice.  It wasn't the same as the original performance, but instead, this was Ben's own feelings as he made the song his for the moment.

So,
So you think you can tell
Heaven from Hell?
Blue skies from pain?

Can you tell a green field
from a cold steel rail?

A smile from a veil?
Do you think you can tell?

Did they get you to trade
your heroes for ghosts?

Hot ashes for trees?
Hot air for a cool breeze?

Cold comfort for change?
Did you exchange
A walk-on part in the war
for a lead role in a cage?

Nanoha could only watch in wonder as she could almost taste the bittersweet angst in the air.  And then, just when she thought she couldn't have been moved any more, the final verse started.

How I wish, how I wish you were here.
We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year,
Running over the same old ground.
What have we found?
The same old fears.
Wish you were here.

The words and the emotion hit her squarely in the heartstrings, making her imagine a life estranged from the friends that she cared so much about.  It took every ounce of her self control to not start crying there on the spot.

There was a smattering of enthusiastic applause from the other customers.  "More!" cried out one.

Ben smiled wistfully.  "Sorry folks, I have places to be.  But if the staff doesn't mind, I can come back another time."

"We would greatly appreciate that," said a new voice from behind the counter.  Ben turned as saw a man in his prime, just starting to creep up on middle-age, and wearing a black apron over a button-down shirt and khaki slacks.  "Hello, my name is Shiro Takamachi.  What's yours?"

"Benjamin Rhodes," he replied with a bow.

"It's nice to meet you, Benjamin," said Shiro with a smile.  "Would you really like to come back and play for us?  We're pretty new here, and if you can help us draw in more customers, it'd be helpful for us.  We're doing okay so far, but okay isn't the same thing as 'Great'."

Ben smiled back.  "It'd be no problem.  Here, let me give you my card.  I'm actually an apartment manager on the west side of town."

"You came all this way for Trick-or-Treating?" asked Shiro.

Ben nodded as he handed over his business card.  "This is one of the nicest neighborhoods in town, and there's a lot of youngsters visiting at my complex right now.  I just thought it'd be nice for them to see this place and get the most out of their experience while they're here."

"Well, then you're certainly more than welcome to come back, Benjamin.  I'll go ahead and email you some possible dates you can come and play for us.  By the way, have you lived here long?"

"Not really, but I am a native - my heritage here goes all the way back to the original Native Americans and Spanish Explorers that came here and established this city.  I'll tell you guys about it later, though.  It's a heck of a history lesson."

Shiro smiled broadly at that.  "We'll look forward to it."

"Well, I need to get back to my people outside - I've kept them waiting long enough."

"Anything before you go?" asked Shiro.

"Hmmm..." said Ben thoughtfully. "I'll take one of those C.C. Lemon sodas - I haven't had one in a while!"

Miyuki chuckled at that as she rung him up.  "You definitely lived in Japan for a while!"

---

"Well?" asked Brent as Ben came back out.

"Definitely them," said Ben as he cracked open the soda and then took a long pull from it.  He cleared his throat after swallowing and then went on, "Nanoha had Raising Heart with her.  What did Belldandy say?"

"We don't have to worry right away - it's something for her and the others to handle - the reason why they showed up with no warning, that is.  But you're still going to be stuck with dealing with them.  Can't say I envy you."

"Never thought otherwise," said Ben as he rolled his eyes.  "C'mon, let's round up the kiddies and head on back before something else happens."

---

Meanwhile, in the Midoriya's back office, Shiro and Momoko spoke quietly together.

"I could tell even on the camera," said Momoko.  "He was nervous about something.  And him claiming to have Asperger's syndrome is a little too convenient - especially that he's an extrovert despite that."

Shiro nodded.  "I think so too, but I didn't sense anything dangerous about him."

"How is that?" asked Momoko.

"I can't put my finger on it," said Shiro.  "But... It felt like he wanted to help us."

"He might know about us.  I did an Internet search using our names.  You're not going to believe this."

Shiro put on his glasses and looked at the computer screen.  Bit by bit, his expression fell lower and lower as his face slowly turned pale.

"... This changes things for us."

"The sooner we get him back here," said Momoko, "the better.  But first, we'll need to talk to Nanoha."

So, thoughts?
Let me play with this once I'm home tonight - I think I can put our pieces together, assuming (a) you don't mind one of the older Takamachi family members finding out about the Metacontinuity at the same time that Nanoha and Fate do, and (b) Chiyo-chan isn't dressed as Nanoha.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(03-08-2019, 09:02 AM)robkelk Wrote: Let me play with this once I'm home tonight - I think I can put our pieces together, assuming (a) you don't mind one of the older Takamachi family members finding out about the Metacontinuity at the same time that Nanoha and Fate do, and (b) Chiyo-chan isn't dressed as Nanoha.

Part a) was what that bit about Momoko's Internet Search was all about there.  They don't quite know completely what's happened yet, but they got a strong idea.  And Part b) is just fine by me, too.
Looks mostly good to me, there are a few quibbles that can be handled once it's on the wiki.  "Yomi growled with anger" should be "Yomi growled impatiently", f'r'instance.  Just as long as Fate and Nanoha don't google their own names... especially not image search.  Yikes.

I think I had decided against Chiyo as Nanoha earlier because the timing didn't work out.  She could have learned the character if it's useful to have her dressed that way, but mainly it's still listed because I still I need to decide on another costume.

Someone with autism explaining that they have autism to someone they just met is such an autistic moment.  One side of the conversation is "here is useful information that can facilitate our interactions" and the other side is "why is this stranger telling me such personal information?"  Most people have a taboo about discussing any kind of mental disorder, to not show weakness to others, but most of the autists I've known will gleefully ignore this, and it's really refreshing.  And once you know how to adapt, quite useful information that really does facilitate social interactions.

Quote:I'm not saying that it wouldn't work out in the end, just that Ben has VERY clear ideas about the potential dangers and he prefers to erre on the side of caution without anyone going behind his back in a way that could get him or his charges hurt.

Hopefully Leeroy Taaaaakino is distracted at this point, then.  But I do want to remind you that our party includes Ami and Minako and Shaoran and Sakura and Sasami, so worrying about people getting hurt is a little academic.  And Chibiusa -- I'm pretty sure Pink Sugar Heart Attack can take out a few ninja, amirite?

At first I wondered if I would press the "not explaining" joke further with Yomi, but given the seriousness, probably not.  

"So who wants to go inside and reconnoiter  these folks?"
"We could draw straws," Brent suggested.
Ben groaned, "Let's just skip the part where I lose.  I'll be back in a few."

Quote:The City of San Antonio and its enclaves have designated areas and hours for Trick-or-Treating.
This sounds like dangerous socialism, and I believe in free-market trick-or-treating.  Since it's olmos inside the boundary, feel free to push the hours or boundaries in the name of fiction.
(03-08-2019, 06:23 PM)Labster Wrote: Someone with autism explaining that they have autism to someone they just met is such an autistic moment.  One side of the conversation is "here is useful information that can facilitate our interactions" and the other side is "why is this stranger telling me such personal information?"  Most people have a taboo about discussing any kind of mental disorder, to not show weakness to others, but most of the autists I've known will gleefully ignore this, and it's really refreshing.  And once you know how to adapt, quite useful information that really does facilitate social interactions.

There is a method to our madness and a madness to our methods. The fact that it works at least half the time is icing on the cake. :V

(03-08-2019, 06:23 PM)Labster Wrote:
Quote:I'm not saying that it wouldn't work out in the end, just that Ben has VERY clear ideas about the potential dangers and he prefers to erre on the side of caution without anyone going behind his back in a way that could get him or his charges hurt.

Hopefully Leeroy Taaaaakino is distracted at this point, then.  But I do want to remind you that our party includes Ami and Minako and Shaoran and Sakura and Sasami, so worrying about people getting hurt is a little academic.  And Chibiusa -- I'm pretty sure Pink Sugar Heart Attack can take out a few ninja, amirite?

Leeroy Takino? Pfft. You do realize that you are now obligated to crack that joke on her, right? Wink

As for confrontations.... Ben would rather keep these as low-key as possible. The Camp Bullis Incident was already a lot more than they wanted.

(03-08-2019, 06:23 PM)Labster Wrote: At first I wondered if I would press the "not explaining" joke further with Yomi, but given the seriousness, probably not.  

"So who wants to go inside and reconnoiter  these folks?"
"We could draw straws," Brent suggested.
Ben groaned, "Let's just skip the part where I lose.  I'll be back in a few."

Hmm naaahh. Ben will want to go in since he's the subject matter expert on hand. He knows the warning signs to watch for and can extract himself if needs be - at least to the point where he can get help.

Oh, here's an idea...

"What if you need help?" asked Minako. "How will we know?"
"... Good question," said Ben. "Here, let me call your phone. Don't hang up on me. You'll be listening in. Put your phone on mute so they won't hear anything on my phone from here."
"Oooh! Good idea!" said Minako as she got her cell phone out. Ben could trust Venus to know when his bit of social engineering has failed and he'd need extraction.
Ben nodded as he dialed Minako's phone. "If things do get dicey, I want you and Ami to come in. If it's a hot situation, transform first. But if it can still be managed without resorting to violence, come in as you are and help me get out of that situation. Are we clear?"
"Absolutely," said Ami.
"Like glass," chirped Minako.
"Don't you mean 'crystal'?" asked Takino.

(03-08-2019, 06:23 PM)Labster Wrote:
Quote:The City of San Antonio and its enclaves have designated areas and hours for Trick-or-Treating.
This sounds like dangerous socialism, and I believe in free-market trick-or-treating.  Since it's olmos inside the boundary, feel free to push the hours or boundaries in the name of fiction.

Heh.

Really, it's more of a safety measure. San Antonio is one of the better places about this kind of thing - lots of nuclear hispanic communities where they try to watch out for each other. But there have been issues in the past, so the city has set up 'safe areas and times' for Trick-or-Treating where the setting is generally safer and police can be more easily reached in the event of an emergency.
(03-08-2019, 06:09 AM)Black Aeronaut Wrote:
"Could it be a coincidence?"

"As of late, I don't do 'Coincidences'.  Can you see who's inside from here?"

There's a line missing between those two - one that Sakura heard from her big brother and her favourite teacher on occasion.

(03-08-2019, 06:23 PM)Labster Wrote: Since it's olmos inside the boundary, feel free to push the hours or boundaries in the name of fiction.

I see what you did there.

Okay - frankenpost assembled, but some stitching still needs to be done (along with some outright re-writing of the current ending). Stay tuned...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown