Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump is trying to welch on a bet - EDIT no he isn't
Trump is trying to welch on a bet - EDIT no he isn't
Trump said that he'd give $1,000,000 to charity if Sen. Elizabeth Warren could prove she has native American ancestry. (Captured on video here - scroll down to "Hear Trump make his promise to Warren on July 5, 2018 in Great Falls, Mont.")

Warren has provided both documentary and DNA evidence.

Trump is now saying he never said what was captured on video that he said.

Readers south of the 49th, I'm not going to tell you how to vote in your midterms next month; I'm just asking whether you want to be associated with a person who tries pulling this sort of stunt.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: Trump is trying to welch on a bet
Well of course he is. The only charities that con man gives money to are his own tax havens.
(10-15-2018, 07:28 PM)Matrix Dragon Wrote: Well of course he is. The only charities that con man gives money to are his own tax havens.

You do realize that any charity would qualify as a tax haven when you are talking about that much money.

Add to that the Cherokee nation says her DNA test ain't worth the paper its printed on.
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

And if Trump was trying to pass on paying out on with _that_ argument, that would be understandable, but the Orange One is apparently denying that he said something that he's on video saying.

What, is he gonna claim that it's edited and dubbed and therefore 'fake news'?
(10-15-2018, 09:58 PM)Rajvik Wrote:
(10-15-2018, 07:28 PM)Matrix Dragon Wrote: Well of course he is. The only charities that con man gives money to are his own tax havens.

You do realize that any charity would qualify as a tax haven when you are talking about that much money.

You're right, I didn't mean tax haven. I meant the false charity foundation Trump set up that is designed to funnel the money straight back to him. I meant outright tax dodges. The only other times he's involved with charity is when he shows up at an event, makes a big deal in front of cameras about how he's giving So Much Money, stuffs his pockets full of food from the tables, then ducks out the side door before anyone can ask him to actually hand over the money.

And honestly, I'm not surprised he claims he never made such a bet, on camera or otherwise. I've been convinced for a long time he's got serious memory problems. And his ego is such that any time someone says something that makes him look bad, he's convinced himself that it must be a lie.
Funny thing, here in the Netherlands having made that bet and having an on camera record of it Senator Warren probably would have a fair case of breach of contract. Especially if she declared not long after that statement of Trump that she'd take that bet.

Spoken contracts are just as valid and enforceable as written contracts here.
(10-15-2018, 09:58 PM)Rajvik Wrote: Add to that the Cherokee nation says her DNA test ain't worth the paper its printed on.

Did the Cherokee nation's scientists look at her DNA?

Did she claim to be Cherokee?

I don't know, which is why I'm asking.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(10-16-2018, 08:23 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(10-15-2018, 09:58 PM)Rajvik Wrote: Add to that the Cherokee nation says her DNA test ain't worth the paper its printed on.

To the best of my recollection, she never claimed anything beyond Cherokee ancestry, no matter what words Fox so-called News, Immortan Don, Mallard Fillmore, or any other arm of the right-wing noise machine may have imputed to her. On the other hand, Immortan Don only specifically said he'd pay out the money if she turned out to be full-blooded Indian (thus supporting, I repeat, a claim I'm pretty sure Senator Professor Warren never actually made), so he has an out at least as legitimate as anything else he's ever said.
(10-16-2018, 04:26 AM)hazard Wrote: Funny thing, here in the Netherlands having made that bet and having an on camera record of it Senator Warren probably would have a fair case of breach of contract. Especially if she declared not long after that statement of Trump that she'd take that bet.

Spoken contracts are just as valid and enforceable as written contracts here.

My impression from the time I went looking at that kind of thing a year or three back is that there's less wiggle room than you might think in the US if someone cares to actually pursue it. I'm no longer so curious as to look too deeply, though.
--
‎noli esse culus
(10-16-2018, 10:46 AM)Mamorien Wrote:
(10-16-2018, 08:23 AM)robkelk Wrote:

To the best of my recollection, she never claimed anything beyond Cherokee ancestry, no matter what words Fox so-called News, Immortan Don, Mallard Fillmore, or any other arm of the right-wing noise machine may have imputed to her. On the other hand, Immortan Don only specifically said he'd pay out the money if she turned out to be full-blooded Indian (thus supporting, I repeat, a claim I'm pretty sure Senator Professor Warren never actually made), so he has an out at least as legitimate as anything else he's ever said.

Ah. So it's Warren moving the goalposts, not Trump welching.

My apologies.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
RE: Trump is trying to welch on a bet - EDIT no he isn't
This whole thing was full of dumb people on every side, mainly because both the right and left wing were playing identity politics hard. Warren said she had Native American ancestry, which Trump used to call her "Pocahantas" because he saw that movie once. So either we're applying the one drop rule, as Trump originally did, or applying the blood quantum rule, as Trump is doing now. Or Warren is trying to claim that a ~1/64th blood quantum is enough to satisfy the terms of what Trump said. The Cherokee Nation is asserting that Warren is claiming to be a member of the tribe, which she did not, as a reflexive move to protect their own identity.

Overreactions on all sides, just another day in American identity politics.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
RE: Trump is trying to welch on a bet - EDIT no he isn't
I stand corrected on the nature of the bet, and some reading up on Warren makes me wonder if you lot have any political leaders with decency yet. I still think Trump legitimately forget he made the bet on camera, it's very him.