Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I remember when you had to believe in God to be ordained as a minister
I remember when you had to believe in God to be ordained as a minister
But that isn't the case any more.

Canadian Press: Atheist United Church minister to keep her job at Toronto congregation

That's a self-described atheist, not somebody else calling her that.

I can understand a psychologist or a counselor or an outreach worker or a social worker being atheist; it makes no difference in those jobs. But how can somebody whose job includes preaching the existence of God say there's no God?
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: I remember when you had to believe in God to be ordained as a minister
Well, at least she is honest about it.
TBF, she may have been a believer when she was ordained. You might be surprised at how many members of the clergy lose their faith. What makes her unusual is that she apparently doesn't feel the need to hide her atheism.
(11-09-2018, 10:04 PM)robkelk Wrote: I can understand a psychologist or a counselor or an outreach worker or a social worker being atheist; it makes no difference in those jobs. But how can somebody whose job includes preaching the existence of God say there's no God?

The same way a celebrity can sell a product he has never used.

Nothing about religious propaganda says you need to believe it to say it.
You could even believe that the moral teachings are good and useful, even if the mythology surrounding them is fiction.
--
‎noli esse culus
I've no idea if its true, but I once read online that during training for priests, they spend considerably more time reading about bible scholars and their views on the religious texts, and less time reading the actual text themselves and getting their own opinions.

There again there is a reason why the holy hand grenade sketch doesn't simply say "count to 3 and throw it".

Mark
Yeah - read other people's ideas, because if you start thinking for yourself you might decide that you don't agree with what's written in the primary sources.

But when it's part of your job to agree with what's written in the primary sources...
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(11-16-2018, 08:11 PM)robkelk Wrote: But when it's part of your job to agree with what's written in the primary sources...

<snerk>  One of the classic lines from the movie Ladyhawke is when the corrupt Bishop of Aquila, who practices Black Magic no less (compared to that, his evidently routine violation of his vows of chastity seems a minor sin), says something about, "I have to believe in miracles.  It's my job."
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."