Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[IC][Story][Arc 2][Spamfic] Naming Blues
[IC][Story][Arc 2][Spamfic] Naming Blues
Star 
I was working on background for that Arc 2 story where Moonbase Alpha appears, and suddenly this insisted on being written. As far as I'm concerned, it's canon for the Metacontinuity... but not before Arc 2, because that's the earliest that Starfleet databanks are available. -Rob

Aboard the Federation science ship U.S.S. Yosemite
Date and time to be determined

Rob noticed that a program was already running on the ship's holodeck. But this was where Ami had told him she wanted to see him, so he walked in.

The holodeck was running a simulation of the original NCC-1701 Enterprise's sickbay, with only one person in the room - a petite young woman with hair so dark it seemed almost green. She was wearing a DS9-era Starfleet uniform, though.

"Ami?"

She turned to face him. Rob saw that she was wearing a badge shaped like Washuu-chan's signature crab instead of a Starfleet commbadge. "Hello. You must be Mr. Donaldson. I am not Ms. Mizuno; I am the prototype Zimmerman-Hakubi Long-term Medical Holographic program, or 'LMH' for short."

Okay, this wasn't what I expected, he thought. "Hello, miss. I assume from your name that you're a hologram that Dr. Zimmerman and Washuu-chan developed?"

"You assume correctly. I have been designed to serve as a medic in locations where it would be impractical to station a full-time physician. I have been programmed with both the Starfleet and Juraian medical databases, and my appearance and personality have been based on Ami Mizuno. I am currently undergoing field testing."

The door behind her opened, and Ami walked in. "Are you running...? Oh, hello, Rob! I see you've met the LMH."

"Hi, darling. That I have." He turned his attention back to the LMH. "Do you have a name?"

"I am the Zimmerman-Hakubi Long-term Medical Holographic program, or..." The hologram stopped when she saw Rob shaking his head.

"That's what you are. I'm asking who you are."

Ami sighed. "We hadn't chosen a name for her yet. Unless you've thought of something you like, LMH?"

"Not yet, Ms. Mizuno. Perhaps Mr. Donaldson might have some suggestions."

"Well..." He thought for a moment. "Yuuko - gentle child - oh, but sometimes you'd have to be forceful in order to get a patient to cooperate."

"It is a better name than what I was considering: Ichiko."

"Meaning 'first child'," Ami explained. "She is the prototype, after all."

"What about Akemi?"

"Bright and beautiful? I think your view of her might be influenced by what you think of me." Ami smiled at Rob.

"I was thinking beautiful crystal, actually."

"Because my pattern is stored in computer memory crystals?"

Rob nodded. "And because you are a beautiful woman."

"Mr. Donaldson, should you be complimenting a woman you just met while your girlfriend is in the room?" The LMH smiled.

"He does it all the time, LMH, but he usually only compliments his other girlfriends."

"Your personal life is more complex that I had been lead to believe, Ms. Mizuno. And I have come to a conclusion: I do not wish to be called LMH any more. Please call me Akemi."

Ami nodded. "As you wish. Is there a family name that you would prefer to use?"

"I thought that would be obvious. Dr. Zimmerman is my father, after all."

Rob extended his hand. "I'm pleased to meet you, Akemi Zimmerman."

She took it, and they shook hands for a moment. "And I'm happy to meet you, Rob Donaldson."

Notes:
LMH at Memory Alpha
Behind the Name: Japanese given names, with meanings
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: [IC][Story][Arc 2][Spamfic] Naming Blues
Quote:
"Mr. Donaldson, should you be complimenting a woman you just met while your girlfriend is in the room?" The LMH smiled.

Always compliment a medical professional that is about to treat you,
even if the treatment is just establishing a baseline,
especially if s/he is the one that is handling a needle.