Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Given my tastes, which web comics should I be reading?
RE: Given my tastes, which web comics should I be reading?
Here's a new one online here.

It's mildly amusing.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
(12-17-2019, 04:50 PM)Dartz Wrote: Here's a new one online here.

It's mildly amusing.

I don't know - I don't understand it.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
This is as good a place as any to mention: as of today, darths & Droids is back to three updates a week.

Don't spoil it for me, please - I haven't seen any of the later movies.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Summoned Creature

Kind of a weird recommendation because I'm fairly sure this comic has been dead for years.  I came across it because I know the author's parents and the her cousin is a coworker.  But hey, good art.

It looks like it was going to veer into isekai, but what there is in the two complete chapters we have is a nice shoujo story about being a growing up Wiccan in Seattle.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Reminded of this thread, it occurs to me to wonder if you happened to watch Ishizoku Reviewers? I mean, yes, on the most basic level it is completely pandering and fanservice, being a too-sexy-for-US-cable adult anime about a group of adventurers in a multi-racial fantasy setting like your generic issekai or LitRPG, rating the red light district girls of various more or less nonhuman species, but. The world building is quite interesting as well, and there's some surprising character depth here and there too, such as when the gang decide to give the other side a try and use gender-swap potions. Mostly it's ears-and-nose level monster girls, but the entire point of the show is that it varies.

It does verge on explicit at its tamest and one comment I remember was that it was funny how the show (ahem) "got the job done" better than a lot of actual hentai, but the focus is on jokes and character reactions, not the mechanical action or more than the occasional pan across a pin-up pose. I would include an example, but they're egregiously censored or, well, not, and this isn't a NSFW thread. At the same time, given parts of BA's writing, I figured the adult subject matter would not be out of scope.

Finding versions that don't heavily censor the toon-tit and dialogue is not so easy-nyaa, but I know the Judas fansubs went to considerable lengths to keep high image and sound quality while getting as close to completely uncensored as they could manage-nyaa, combining several different sets of raws and translations to put them together-nyaa. As long as the general topic doesn't put you off, I'd give it at least a tentative recommendation-nyaa.
--
‎noli esse culus
For some classic pulp action, written with modern sensibilities, I give you Lavender Jack. Set in the fictional European city of Gallery, it follows the eponymous mystery man as he deals with crime and corruption. The first "season" is complete, dealing with Jack's first appearance and adventure (which includes what I took to be an interesting homage to Tarzan). The second series is in progress, with Lavender Jack facing the devious Black Note.
Just marathoned Warbot in Accounting. Yeah, all 15 strips.

It's about an AI that has a completely unsuitable job after getting out of the army.

Something of a downer, but I liked it...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Now is a good time to archive binge Schlock Mercenary, given that it just finished its run.  Twenty years of daily strips, with no missed updates, so it might take a while.

(01-20-2019, 10:24 PM)Labster Wrote: I'm going to throw out a "new" comic, which is actually getting pretty close to its centennial: Nancy

I'll let Vox explain why it's funny again with its new artist.  I know it's a newspaper strip, but given how many papers dropped it, it's a webcomic for most of us.

I'm going to revoke my recommendation, it went back to "not funny any more" pretty fast.
Since we've had our discussion, Four King Hell's host Smack Jeeves went offline.  This state of affairs could not stand, so I sent a clank to explore the Internet Archive, and fashioned a fine and elegantly crafted compilation:

Four King Hell comic archive (.cbz)
(03-09-2022, 07:09 PM)Labster Wrote: Since we've had our discussion, Four King Hell's host Smack Jeeves went offline.  This state of affairs could not stand, so I sent a clank to explore the Internet Archive, and fashioned a fine and elegantly crafted compilation:

Four King Hell comic archive (.cbz)

For those that don't know, it's a Sailor Moon fan-comic that takes place after the 5th Season of the anime, and the Four Heavenly Generals who were Prince Endymion's counterparts to Princess Serenity's Guardians have somehow come back to life....

.....and decided that they're all gonna get with their Senshi counterparts because one of them Heard It Through The Internet that This Is The Way.  (Additionally, there's a 4th Wall Breaking bet going that whoever succeeds first will be the new Main Character.)

With everyone being perfectly in-character for the anime-versions, hilarity en-fucking-sues.

Oh, and there's PLOT! too.  (Without spoiling things too much... others come back as well, which indicates something is most certainly going on.)