Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RIP George H.W. Bush
RIP George H.W. Bush
George H.W. Bush: June 12, 1924 - November 30, 2018

A man who:
  • Knew enough to be polite to political leaders that he strongly disagreed with (e.g. Saddam Hussein);
  • Knew that free trade was a generator of wealth (bringing Mexico into NAFTA);
  • Knew that maintaining friendships with allied nations even during trade disputes with those nations was important;
  • Was able to work with the Democrats even when he didn't want to;
  • Knew climate change was real and supported legislation to reduce acid rain; and
  • Was secure enough to poke fun at himself on SNL.

Bush may have been the last Republican President that I actually respect.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: RIP George H.W. Bush
I met the man once - not on the campaign trail, but still some kind of managed event though I honestly have no idea what. My parents and I were invited to a reception at the White House along with groups from each other state, to get some okay food, a warm smile, and a firm handshake, and probably some kind of presentation or something that was completely forgettable as ... probably a second or third grader? Couldn't have been much later, at any rate, though both my sisters had moved out. I think I may have said something to him about money for the arts in schools due to the younger of my sisters having gotten a music scholarship, but I don't really remember what or if it was just something I later thought I should have said either.
--
‎noli esse culus
The 42nd president recalls the gracious note left for him in the Oval Office by the 41st, whom he'd beaten in an election.

Arioch help us, what kind of a country have we become these days?
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
You can be sure that if Trump even leaves a note for his successor, it will be petty, mean-spirited, and probably written in crayon on a paper towel. With numerous misspellings.

The kind of country we have become is the one New Gingrich wanted -- one where the Republicans acknowledge the legitimacy of neither their counterparts on the other side of the aisle nor of the system that requires them to share power with them, so they work to undermine both.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Flags at all federal government buildings in Canada are half-masted today, in honour of George Bush's passing.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I am surprised that so far Trump has behaved like a decent human being during this whole thing. I honestly didn't think he had it in him.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(12-05-2018, 01:05 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I am surprised that so far Trump has behaved like a decent human being during this whole thing.  I honestly didn't think he had it in him.

Personally, Bob, I think he knows that THIS time, he can't act like a prick.  If he did with the Democrats about to take control of the House of Representatives, the urge to impeach and do everything to reverse the mess of the last two years around will grow stronger and those Republicans in the Senate up for election in 2020 will feel the heat.
Canadian lighthouse to U.S. Warship approaching it:  "This is a lighthouse.  Your call!"
I spoke too soon. Admittedly, it's not a big thing, but it's still a dick move. Apparently two and a half hours of praise for someone else, without a single mention of his name, was too much for Trump to stand.
-- Bob

(12-05-2018, 02:21 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I spoke too soon.  Admittedly, it's not a big thing, but it's still a dick move.  Apparently two and a half hours of praise for someone else, without a single mention of his name, was too much for Trump to stand.

Tongue See what I mean?
Canadian lighthouse to U.S. Warship approaching it:  "This is a lighthouse.  Your call!"
(12-05-2018, 02:21 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I spoke too soon.  Admittedly, it's not a big thing, but it's still a dick move.  Apparently two and a half hours of praise for someone else, without a single mention of his name, was too much for Trump to stand.

Bob, with all due respect, I think that was just another example of the media not being able to accept that Trump CAN actually due good things. Or do CNN/MSNBC talking heads really think they can read minds.
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

(12-07-2018, 08:46 PM)Rajvik Wrote:

Bob, with all due respect, I think that was just another example of the media not being able to accept that Trump CAN actually due good things. Or do CNN/MSNBC talking heads really think they can read minds.

I can't see how.

They're pointing out that a particular person didn't have the basic human decency to wait until the family was out of the chapel before getting up to leave. What that person did was incredibly rude.

And it doesn't matter whether the person was a street sweeper or the Secretary General of the UN - it's still incredibly rude no matter who does it. Most people know enough to not do it.

If he really had to do it for some reason beyond his control, he could have avoided drawing attention to himself and left by a side door instead of pretending he was part of the procession. Again, basic knowledge that most people already have.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(12-07-2018, 08:46 PM)Rajvik Wrote:

Rajvik, at what point does a currently sitting POTUS skip out early on the funeral for a former POTUS? It's a slight against the Bush family at best, and the epitome of narcissism at worse. No amount of spin can dress this up. There were no pressing emergencies to attend to. No unaccountable threats were at large. There was nothing keeping him from attending that funeral in its entirety.

It doesn't help matters any that this is a Red on Red crime (metaphorically speaking). Trump should hold no ill will against Bush - he was not to blame for the Savings and Loan Crisis that torpedoed quite a few of Trump's ventures. That crisis was a long time in coming, seeded in Cold War defense spending and LBJ's "Great Society" programs, and hurried along by careless deregulation and, to be quite frank, simple greed.

And on top of it all, Trump actually has a past history of bad-mouthing the departed - he did so of his two executives that died in a helicopter crash, disparaging their abilities.

This isn't an example of the media being unfair to Trump. This is, however, a prime example of Trump being Trump.