Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brexit or Breaksit?
RE: Brexit or Breaksit?
They'll be running ads in Mali. Donate 2000 francs a month to UNICEF to feed one British child.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
They could be running those ads today without needing to lie. The government has consistently failed to provide children in poverty with meals to bridge the various holidays and vacations where they're not going to school and thus not getting a school provided lunch.

Or, you know, during a pandemic where schools are closed for large stretches of time.
If those ads need some B-roll of sad kids in cages, President Trump can totally hook you up.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
[Image: Scottish_independence_polling_with_local...on_fit.png]
That graph reminds me of 1995.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Two things I think are interesting in that data set: the yes vote appears to have plateaued, but the no vote continues to haemorrhage to the undecided column. Second, it looks like the time when things really changed are March of this year, when the Tory government showed the world how bad it was at managing the coronavirus. To me it looks like not quite a majority of Scots want independence, but it could happen anyway if things continue to be this dumb in Westminster.
RMS Brexitanic continues to sink

Food shortages narrowly averted.

Fuel shortages driven by panick-buying.

Britain has of course, offered temporary visas and enhanced wages top EU truck drivers to come and work. EU truck drivers Unions have given the proposal a single-finger answer and basically said, This Shit's Your Own Fault.

To amend with what I have said elsewhere on the subject:

You don't want to blame people for their misfortunes - but in this case -- it's the equivalent of coming up to a well well-signposted landmine field with HERE BE MINES and SKULLS and other shit on it, after watching a video on the effects of landmines, completing a post training questionnaire on landmines and their dangers, and watching a load of people find those landmines the hard way, and being shown four or five perfectly reasonable paths around the minefield that might even be quicker and easier. and furthermore - despite being absolutely reassured that there are definitely still landmines in there -- deciding to hop the fence with the skulls on it while the attendant's back is turned and go for a stroll.

You can't expect much sympathy when you then proceed to step on a landmine and get parted from your legs now , now can you?

I mean, fuck me. This shitshow is beyond a joke. The level of myopic, tone-deaf incompetence is staggering.

And of course, you're fucking it all up on us as usual, through no fault of our own.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

Ireland has the EU to lean on when the going gets tough. And it's not going to be easy.

Britain? Britain's up shit creek, after breaking the paddle hacking a hole in an already leaky boat, and everybody around has given up trying to help. The idiots in the boat would just use it as motivation to make everything even worse.
Well, this is Aukus... I mean awkward.  But hey, if the whole plan was to become an offshore tax haven to make money, maybe they should have expected their whole economy to become like an offshore tax haven?  Fuel is kind of expensive on isolated islands.  But hey, they have their sovereignty back, and isn't that more valuable than money and happiness?

Oh, in the Scottish independence front, it seems to have lost momentum after some SNP infighting around allegations of sexual misconduct.
This shit's still going on

At this point, people expecting them to keep their word are starting to seem naive

I mean -- you see what we had to put up with for 800 years?

And they're only doing it because they know now they can't get away with it. That's the whole reason they're actually supporting Ukraine - not because they give a fuck - but because it makes it really difficult for Europe to actually do anything to stop them fucking around. They're looking too fucking shiny.

Well, Ukraine'll get a fright in the near future. They'll be dropped like a hot snot the moment they're not necessary

Man, that photo. Leo Varadkar is grimacing like he'd rather be holding a warm turd than BoJo's hand. I mean, perfectly understandable, but still.
--
‎noli esse culus
Meanwhile in perfidious Albion:

Boris Johnson to reportedly bring back imperial measurements to mark platinum jubilee

Ah, freedom. Nothing like bringing back pints to distract people from partygate. Suck on that, Brussels.
(05-29-2022, 12:38 AM)Labster Wrote: Meanwhile in perfidious Albion:

Boris Johnson to reportedly bring back imperial measurements to mark platinum jubilee

Ah, freedom. Nothing like bringing back pints to distract people from partygate. Suck on that, Brussels.

There never was any restriction on selling beer in pints. It's all about selling vegetables by the pound - which is doubly pathetic posturing.
All it means is that the UK loses even more trade as extra hoops are inserted. There's a reason most of the world switched over to metric.
(05-29-2022, 10:01 AM)hazard Wrote: All it means is that the UK loses even more trade as extra hoops are inserted. There's a reason most of the world switched over to metric.

Boris wouldn't be the posturing wanker we all know if he was actually being productive.
In their recent attempt to Brexit from the rest of the world, they have contracted with Rwanda to take their refugees. The plane was loaded up with foreign-looking people, when a last minute appeal to the European Court of Human Rights ordered the plane grounded, because the people on the plane had not exhausted their appeals. Before the ruling, Boris publicly mentioned possibly exiting the human rights court, always a good look. But if people on the continent keep can saying you can't do human trafficking to keep the bloody foreigners off your island, what was the point of Brexit anyway?

And despite losing the confidence of ~40% of his own party in a vote (worse than Theresa May), Boris Johnson shambles on. Today his ethics advisor resigned. We'll see if the government even notices the difference.

In theory this could have warranted a new thread, but it all comes down to the same things as Brexit -- nationalism, fear of other countries forcing them to act like human beings, and scapegoating of immigrants and minorities. The Brits are at it again.
(06-16-2022, 05:50 AM)Labster Wrote: In theory this could have warranted a new thread, but it all comes down to the same things as Brexit -- nationalism, fear of other countries forcing them to act like human beings, and scapegoating of immigrants and minorities. The Brits are at it again.

Please stop blaming me for this. I've never supported the little tosser.
Jinx, that you do not support him does not mean the idiot is not in charge and he keeps making these stupid decisions.

The British elected him and his palls, now they have to deal with the consequences.
So, BoJo resigned. Any reactions and/or predictions from our UK and UK-adjacent folks?
--
‎noli esse culus
I suppose Canada might be considered "UK-adjacent".

Don't hold back, CBC, tell us what you really think. Defined by lies, Boris Johnson's political career has finally crumbled

Quote:Ultimately, though, it wasn't Johnson's own mistruths that brought him down after three years as Conservative leader. It was his insistence that others lie — sometimes unknowingly — on his behalf.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
He was claiming that he was going to keep fighting yesterday, but his position was completely untenable. Just like the rest of his recent plans.

Goodbye you posturing clown. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
I, for one, was not expecting him to get caught in a Pincher movement.

I was almost hoping he called a new election, because the Conservatives would get slaughtered and a better government could come in.  Probably Labour, as I doubt my favorites the SNP could win enough seats in Westminster.  For now, the waiting game to see if Tories can manage to elect someone else quick to get him to leave ASAP.  Boris could linger on for months, and I honestly would not be surprised to see him in office a year from now given the utter shambles over there.

In any case, he did not want to quit, and I would not be surprised to hear him saying his loss was a complete Rig and he's still the "real" Prime Minister in the next few months.  The Guardian seems to think he'll make a bunch of money on the American speaking circuit.  I can only imagine American immigration activists protesting him because of the Rwanda scheme, and Irish activists protesting him because he's a piece of shite in general.
Is the selection criteria for the next British Taoiseach really 'This one will make Boris Johnson look good, but will this one make him look better'? . Like operation 'Save Big Dog's Legacy'?

I mean, you see what Boris as PM did for May's legacy.

And yes, he is an utter stocking of shite.

So, how's Brexit working out for the U.K.? Well...

U..K applies to join Trans-Pacific Partnership

Looks like they really need a trade deal.

(As for "U.K." and "Pacific" in the same sentence, they still have a Pacific coastline.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
And you know the moment it turns out that they don't get to win and keep all the marbles they're going to want to "be independent" again...
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....