Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[OOC][Brainstorming] Intelligent Devices for non-"Lyrical Nanoha" mages
RE: [OOC][Brainstorming] Intelligent Devices for non-"Lyrical Nanoha" mages
Only if we can keep her megalomania in check.

"DAGNABSIT!  MAGICA!  PUT THAT CAULDRON AWAY!  For the last time, no more dark magic rituals!  Belldandy does NOT have time to be cleaning up the sorts of messes those cause!"

"Vat are you talking about?  I am making borscht."

"... Oh.  Sorry about that then.  Would you mind if I tried some?  It'd be a first for me."

"Hmmm, if you could fetch me some fresh dill and smetana - that is sour cream, dahling - then I'll be happy to share some."

Man, the shit that just pops into my head at random...
So uh, Magica is Italian. I know you're thinking of her accent from DuckTales, which is more um, Pottsylvanian. I guess I should watch the new DuckTales; Magica's new voice only sounds English because the TARDIS is translating it from Italian.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
I’ve only ever seen the original, and it’s been over ten years for me at that.
(12-27-2018, 11:09 PM)robkelk Wrote: As I understand it, the average Midchildan or Belkan Intelligent Device (and the above-average ones like Raising Heart, Bardiche, and Graf Eisen) assist their masters by casting minor spells (usually but not always defensive) by drawing upon their masters' magical power reserves, and help with their masters' mathematical calculations for the really big spells.
(Interestingly, some of the Academy City espers might find this sort of Device useful, since some Skills - including Electromaster, Teleport, and Aero Hand - have mathematical components in their use. Washuu-chan might have already implanted the equivalent of one in Accelerator to offset the brain damage he took in canon when he was shot while healing Last Order.)

The more that this has been kicking around in the back of my mind, the more I like the idea of Kuroko getting this sort of Device - just for the math. It's the only way I see to offset her biggest vulnerability: her need to calculate her jumps immediately before making them.

A Device wouldn't remove that vulnerability altogether, but it would cut the necessary time to make the calculations down to nearly nothing (from a human perspective), removing Kuroko's one-second delay between repeated teleports.

Kuroko's ranged-combat attack is to teleport large-nails/small-spikes into her opponents' clothing and weapons, pinning the opponents and ruining their sidearms... so a transforming Intelligent Device would be overkill for her. Looking at the appropriate page on the Nanoha Wikia, I'm thinking an Auxiliary control-type Boost Device (modified to boost esper ability instead of casting a boost-up spell) would be appropriate for Kuroko. It would also be the easiest type of Device to make, if I'm reading the description correctly.

Now... what would this Device look like? Auxiliary control-type Devices don't have (or need) multiple forms, since they aren't essentially concealed weapons. And we've seen that a Device can be fit into something as small as a glass marble (hello, Raising Heart!) and worn as a pendant - but Kuroko isn't one for jewelry.

Maybe an implant? Boost Devices aren't AIs, so there's no issue with sophonts rights here.

EDIT:

Ooooooohhhhh... BA, remember that idea you had for giving the Misaka Sisters some actual railguns?

Imagine a railgun as an Intelligent Device's weapon mode.

What else should these do?
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Hmmmm... hard to say because anything I can think that of, Lusaka and the clones can all do themselves already.

What about a straight-up directed electrical attack that isn’t reliant on a target being between a pair of conductors?
Quote: What about a straight-up directed electrical attack that isn’t reliant on a target being between a pair of conductors?

You mean like a laser?
And I only just now notice that fat fingered the ketboard on Misaka’s name.

Perhaps a plasma beam instead of a laser? After all, that’s pretty much what lightning is: plasmafied atmosphere.
Just did a rewatch of the first two seasons of Lyrical Nanoha. I'm starting to think that maybe Shaoran needs an intelligent device. A lot of his magic relies on using ofuda as the focus, which is a little limiting. Just having a device to handle the magic circles would be useful, and maybe allow a bit more in terms of ranged attacks for him. Sword shaped, of course.

One can argue that Sakura's magic also uses ofuda as a focus, but her cards are a little more special, probably closer to familiars than anything else. Not seeing how a device would be all that useful for her. Even her Shield card is better than Round Shield.

How different is a linker core than a pure heart crystal? Asking for a friend.

Quote: Perhaps a plasma beam instead of a laser? After all, that’s pretty much what lightning is: plasmafied atmosphere.
Yeah, huh, Railgun's power seems to be based around electrons more than photons. As amusing as it would be for her to do a Starlight Breaker, that seems like a Level 6 power for her.
(02-05-2019, 03:52 AM)Labster Wrote: How different is a linker core than a pure heart crystal?  Asking for a friend.

IIRC, evidence from the respective canons is that a Linker Core is the seat of magical ability, while the Pure Heart Crystal is the seat of positive emotions (if not the soul itself).

(02-05-2019, 03:52 AM)Labster Wrote:
Quote: Perhaps a plasma beam instead of a laser? After all, that’s pretty much what lightning is: plasmafied atmosphere.
Yeah, huh, Railgun's power seems to be based around electrons more than photons.  As amusing as it would be for her to do a Starlight Breaker, that seems like a Level 6 power for her.

Yeah. Misaka * is a "lightning" attacker, not a "light" attacker.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Quote:Now... what would this Device look like? Auxiliary control-type Devices don't have (or need) multiple forms, since they aren't essentially concealed weapons. And we've seen that a Device can be fit into something as small as a glass marble (hello, Raising Heart!) and worn as a pendant - but Kuroko isn't one for jewelry.

"Bluetooth" earpiece, or headphones with microphone. It could even pair itself with her phone.
(02-06-2019, 02:09 AM)itsune9tl Wrote:
Quote:Now... what would this Device look like? Auxiliary control-type Devices don't have (or need) multiple forms, since they aren't essentially concealed weapons. And we've seen that a Device can be fit into something as small as a glass marble (hello, Raising Heart!) and worn as a pendant - but Kuroko isn't one for jewelry.

"Bluetooth" earpiece, or headphones with microphone. It could even pair itself with her phone.

Indeed.  For Teana it was her gun... and for Subaru it was her boots.  A device can pretty much be whatever form-factor you like.
Quote:Yeah. Misaka * is a "lightning" attacker, not a "light" attacker.

Railgun could also do the "Magnetic Sand" manipulation for Offense and Defense.
Take her to a beach to build sand castles. (White sand beaches are more likely to have Magnetite granules.)

Brings a Whole New meaning of Sand getting everywhere. ...
(01-16-2019, 04:54 PM)Labster Wrote: So uh, Magica is Italian.  I know you're thinking of her accent from DuckTales, which is more um, Pottsylvanian.  I guess I should watch the new DuckTales; Magica's new voice only sounds English because the TARDIS is translating it from Italian.

Getting back to this now that I've had a chance to research a bit more.

I only ever saw her in the original run of the DuckTales cartoon series where there was never any real background given on her - just that her brother had been turned into a raven and that she uses an Eastern European accent of indeterminate origin.  To my knowledge, there was never even any mention of a lair on Mt Vesuvius or anything else that might indicate Italian heritage in the cartoon.

I never had any time or resources to actively pursue the comics - chalk it up to life just treating me like shit so much that I never got to do things 'Normal' people do, like actually be able to buy fun things like comics.  (I did every great once in a while, but I reserved that for things that had the highest levels of my interest, such as the Cassandra Cain Batgirl.)

So yeah, in my head, Magica has always been Eastern European - probably Romani if I were to seriously go with that characterization and flesh out her background.
Yeah, uh, ducks in general are kind at the high levels of my interest, apparently. And fox terriers, gotta love Snowy from Tintin and Asta from The Thin Man. Uh, Sakaki is pretty easy for me to write. Smile

Unless you have a deep desire to write these characters though, I would write mainly from the comics. The characters are more complex, and more flawed. (Except freaking Daisy Duck, who is so thin that she really only exists to be a foil to Donald.) Going from Carl Barks and Don Rosa's workd, that would set things in 1960s Earth tech level, barring Gyro's inventions and Magica's magic. The only downside of this is if we want Darkwing Duck for some reason.
Just did a quick review of the thread so far.

(12-29-2018, 04:54 AM)Labster Wrote: <osaka>Oh, and Chiyo can use her twintails to fly, right guys?</osaka>
You're dreaming again, Osaka-san...

(SI-Rob does not mention his mental image of Chiyo-chan doing Snoopy's helicopter-flight shtick with her twintails.)

As for the list of Intelligent Devices, so far we have:
  • Makoto Kino's "Guardian Jupiter" Unison Device
  • Mimi Hanyu's "Chibi-Mimi" Unison Device
  • Brent Laabs's "Yotsuba Koiwai" Unison Device (capabilities to be determined)
  • Kuroko Shirai's auxiliary control-type Boost Device (itsune9tl suggested a "Bluetooth" earpiece form factor, which I like)

In-progress and new stuff:

Is the Ginzuishou a Device?

The other Senshi need Unison Devices. EDIT: Rei's needs to be able to help her actually see spirits, not merely sense them.

Approaching this matter from the opposite direction: Should we give the 33-Ss and Data some Linker Cores?

Should Kuroko's Boost device give her targeting information? I'm thinking not; judging by her pinpoint aim in canon, she doesn't need it.

Anybody who has a math-heavy magic or esper ability (or gets "E=MC Hammer" math homework, such as the Madoka Magica girls) could also use a math-optimized auxiliary control-type Boost Device - so Mikoto, Ruiko, Kazari, the Misaka Sisters, Accelerator (if he doesn't have one already from Washuu-chan), and Rob could benefit from one each. So could Ami, but she gets a Unison Device eventually. Let's assume Washuu-chan already gave Accelerator one. Rui-chan and Kazari both wear artificial flowers in their hair (one for Ruiko, a headband of them for Kazari), so there's the form-factor for their Boost devices; they'd need a "psionics, not magic" customization to work, since Academy City style espers can't use magic. (Ask Washuu-chan, unless Simon Tam (or River) knows anything about how telepathy works.) The Misaka Sisters' Boost Devices could be retrofit into their HUDs, as long as Kazari's installing the Skuld-tech at the same time... unless we're giving them Intelligent Devices instead.

Intelligent Devices for anybody named Misaka: These are the espers who could most use a classic Midchildan-style Intelligent Device analogue, although they also need that "psionics, not magic" customization.
Standby form: customize to the user's preference
Base Weapon form: functional railgun with a magazine but no visible trigger, as described by Black Aeronaut elsewhere
Base Defense: "Electric Shield", as described for Guardian Jupiter
Base Attack: "Plasma Beam"
Powered Attack (that requires the user and Device to attack in concert): "Plasma Zanber" if Bardiche will share the code for that attack; something analogous but obviously different if he won't
Personality: ... er ... um ... suggestions welcome here. Nothing that would overpower what little personalities the Misaka Sisters have developed, but something more than '50s-sci-fi-B-movie-robot.

Speaking of psi Devices, should River get one?

"Shaoran could probably use a Device, since he relies on ofuda and that compass thingy for a lot of his magic, it might be useful to centralize it -- especially if it can be used as a physical weapon too." He knows how to use a sword...

Could the Magic Knights benefit from Devices? (They have Mashins, but those aren't particularly subtle... or usable indoors most places.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
> (They have Mashins, but those aren't particularly subtle... or usable indoors most places.)

Adventures of Micro-Machins

> He knows how to use a sword...

I'm pretty sure I already said that.

> Brent Laabs's "Yotsuba Koiwai" Unison Device (capabilities to be determined)

I totally forgot I suggested this. Wow Rob, what a great idea, that's perfect for me! How about a battle-mode costume for her?
(02-08-2019, 10:29 PM)Labster Wrote: > (They have Mashins, but those aren't particularly subtle... or usable indoors most places.)

Adventures of Micro-Machins

> He knows how to use a sword...

I'm pretty sure I already said that.

Yeah. Hey, it's a recap - other characters got the new content.

(02-08-2019, 10:29 PM)Labster Wrote: > Brent Laabs's "Yotsuba Koiwai" Unison Device (capabilities to be determined)

I totally forgot I suggested this.  Wow Rob, what a great idea, that's perfect for me!  How about a battle-mode costume for her?

/facepalm

Smile

Sure, why not? Tomoyo can spend a weekend in Montreal taking measurements of the real thing. I'm sure Saber wouldn't mind. Angel
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I wasn't actually aware that the costume belonged to a member of the cast. Based on the main thread, given that I just finished PMMM, I've seen or read all of the major source material... except the Montreal group, where I don't know any of them. I guess Seraviel and I have completely different tastes.

I mean, I'm watching Fate/stay night now, and it's okay I guess. But I can't shake the feeling that it might be better if it was at Inakano Middle School instead, and Wapiko's Servant was Pen-Pen.

Which might be a roundabout way of saying that maybe I should leave the costuming decisions to Tomoyo from now on.
This might be more your speed. It's Fate/Stay Night's characters, only in a purely slice-of-life presentation focusing on Shiro cooking meals for friends and family.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/todays-menu-...iya-family
I'm thinking that the replacement costume Washuu-chan made for Kazari Uiharu during the 2016 Halloween party is every bit as good as an esper version of an Intelligent Device, and thus Kazari doesn't need one any more.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(02-08-2019, 08:54 PM)robkelk Wrote: Intelligent Devices for anybody named Misaka: These are the espers who could most use a classic Midchildan-style Intelligent Device analogue, although they also need that "psionics, not magic" customization.
Base Weapon form: functional railgun with a magazine but no visible trigger, as described by Black Aeronaut elsewhere
Powered Attack (that requires the user and Device to attack in concert): "Plasma Zanber" if Bardiche will share the code for that attack; something analogous but obviously different if he won't
Personality: ... er ... um ... suggestions welcome here. Nothing that would overpower what little personalities the Misaka Sisters have developed, but something more than '50s-sci-fi-B-movie-robot.

Standby forms:

Mikoto Misaka: her palmtop computer
Niiko Misaka: ??? (something befitting her (eventual) tomboy personality)
Kokono Misaka: ??? (something befitting her (eventual) girly-girl personality)
Nana Misaka: a Gekota pendant
Rei Misaka: a tasteful and reasonably-expensive-looking bracelet
Mimi Misaka: ???
Misaka Worst: a small guard on the back of a glove, worn on her right hand (vaguely like Bardiche's original form)

After these, the Misaka Sisters will end up with mass-produced models that have a bracelet standby form (based on Rei's but not as fancy looking) - the activation animation has it glow, then run like water past the wrist and into the hand of the Misaka Sister using the Device, there taking its "railgun pistol" form.

Suggestions still welcome for personalities for the Misaka Sisters esper devices. Mass-produced models don't get distinct personalities; these get the '50s-sci-fi-B-movie-robot personalities.

EDIT: Oh, and these should help the Misaka Sisters (and Railgun) form and maintain the ionized bubbles that let them fly. Being extremely precise with their mathematics and able to multithread their calculations, the bubbles should be more aerodynamic than what Railgun and the Sisters can manifest on their own, assisting with maintaining altitude.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(02-13-2019, 05:21 AM)Labster Wrote: I wasn't actually aware that the costume belonged to a member of the cast.  Based on the main thread, given that I just finished PMMM, I've seen or read all of the major source material... except the Montreal group, where I don't know any of them.  I guess Seraviel and I have completely different tastes.

Oh, I had forgotten A Certain Magical Index is on the list.  I'm up to the Sisters arc now, which is certainly more confusing from Touma's perspective.  It's actually a show that is up my alley despite being an superpower action masquerade.  I guess it's just that everything is researched and thought through, and that makes all the difference.  (Although ffs why did you put a supercomputer in a satellite?)

Do I need to start coming up with "magic names" for my characters, like Captrix52?
(02-25-2019, 02:04 AM)Labster Wrote: Oh, I had forgotten A Certain Magical Index is on the list.  I'm up to the Sisters arc now, which is certainly more confusing from Touma's perspective.
From Touma's perspective, it's a five-episode story arc. From Mikoto's perspective, it's a 26-episode season. She had a lot more room for plot development.

(02-25-2019, 02:04 AM)Labster Wrote: It's actually a show that is up my alley despite being an superpower action masquerade.  I guess it's just that everything is researched and thought through, and that makes all the difference.  (Although ffs why did you put a supercomputer in a satellite?)
Because they can? Rolleyes

No, that's one plot element that simply doesn't make sense.

(02-25-2019, 02:04 AM)Labster Wrote: Do I need to start coming up with "magic names" for my characters, like Captrix52?

If you want... but then they run the risk of forgetting their birth names, the way Accelerator did.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(02-16-2019, 05:35 PM)robkelk Wrote:
(02-08-2019, 08:54 PM)robkelk Wrote: Intelligent Devices for anybody named Misaka: These are the espers who could most use a classic Midchildan-style Intelligent Device analogue, although they also need that "psionics, not magic" customization.

Standby forms:

Mikoto Misaka: her palmtop computer
Niiko Misaka: ??? (something befitting her (eventual) tomboy personality)
Kokono Misaka: ??? (something befitting her (eventual) girly-girl personality)
Nana Misaka: a Gekota pendant
Rei Misaka: a tasteful and reasonably-expensive-looking bracelet
Mimi Misaka: ???
Misaka Worst: a small guard on the back of a glove, worn on her right hand (vaguely like Bardiche's original form)

After these, the Misaka Sisters will end up with mass-produced models that have a bracelet standby form (based on Rei's but not as fancy looking) - the activation animation has it glow, then run like water past the wrist and into the hand of the Misaka Sister using the Device, there taking its "railgun pistol" form.

Suggestions still welcome for personalities for the Misaka Sisters esper devices. Mass-produced models don't get distinct personalities; these get the '50s-sci-fi-B-movie-robot personalities.

EDIT: Oh, and these should help the Misaka Sisters (and Railgun) form and maintain the ionized bubbles that let them fly. Being extremely precise with their mathematics and able to multithread their calculations, the bubbles should be more aerodynamic than what Railgun and the Sisters can manifest on their own, assisting with maintaining altitude.
For the tomboy, get her a game boy, or similar gaming device.
For the Girly Girl, either a hair/ribbon clip or an ear ring.
For the generics, I'd suggest going with a variation on the Smart Watch.
... or a zipper pull.
As for personalities you could always go with a basic Snark-bot meme
If anyone gets an earring device, it should be named Synergy.

@rob: I wasn't saying that the show itself was confusing, I was saying that if you're Touma, you're pretty clueless as to why things are happening.

I suppose at some point I should watch the rest of the Aria series for completion's sake.  You know, Aria the Natural, Aria the Origination, Aria the Scarlet Ammo, Aria the Avvenire.