Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Cursed Thread of 2019
RE: The Cursed Thread of 2019
Kazuhiko Katō, better known to Lupin III fans as Monkey Punch, died last Thursday at 81 after a bout with pneumonia.
I never watched it, but the CNN article says
Quote:She also received three Emmy nominations for her guest role as Pat McDougall, Robert Barone's mother-in-law, on "Everybody Loves Raymond."
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Ah, I stand corrected. I never watched the show either
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

RIP Jerrie Cobb, first of the Mercury 13
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Not a good month for manga-ka, it seems.  Kazuo Koike, creator of Lone Wolf and Cub, has passed on:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20...4hzQVmws3A
Canadian lighthouse to U.S. Warship approaching it:  "This is a lighthouse.  Your call!"
He's filed his last tax return.

RIP Henry W. Bloch, the "H" in H&R Block.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
?!?!?~!?!? I took their tax class once. Only served to prove there is reality, and internal revenue statistics?!?!??!?!
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
Remember the long-past days when there were things called "civility" and "dignity" in the U.S. Congress? One less person recalls them now. Former Senator Richard Lugar (R-Ind.) died on the 28th.

Quote:The cerebral, soft-spoken former Eagle Scout and Rhodes scholar never claimed to be a colorful personality.... But Mr. Lugar’s civility and grasp of substantive issues drew widespread respect. “He was kind of the E.F. Hutton of the Senate. When he spoke, people listened, because they knew that he had independently thought through his position and weighed it on the merits....”
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
RIP John Singleton, director of (amongst other movies) Boyz N the Hood

RIP Teva Harrison, cartoonist and author of In-Between Days: A Memoir About Living with Cancer

RIP Wayson Choy, author of The Jade Peony
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Talk about coming in threes... (remember that? Back when celebrity deaths didn't happen in job lots?)
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Pretty sure that's because back then celebrities didn't come in job lots either. Or at least were not tracked as ferociously, especially after they stopped the sort of work that draws attention.
... I was referring to before 2016, The Year Everyone Famous Died.
-- Bob

It's really a natural phenomena. Anyone who really started getting famous in the 70's and early 80's is getting close to the back side of the bathub curve of life. And most of those are more well known simply because they're still being played.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
Yeah, that bunch of celebrities is hitting the 60's by now at minimum, and some of them will be well into the 80's. It's at the point people just start dying.

And again, people are keeping track of them more strongly nowadays, while the internet makes it much easier to communicate it all.
Hell, Clint Eastwood is only a month short of his 89th Birthday, Jackie Chan is 65 (impressive given the number of injuries he's received doing stunts), Speilburg is 72, Harrison Ford is 76. the list goes on, and I didn't even touch on musicians.
(04-30-2019, 10:18 PM)Norgarth Wrote: Hell, Clint Eastwood is only a month short of his 89th Birthday,  Jackie Chan is 65 (impressive given the number of injuries he's received doing stunts), Speilburg is 72, Harrison Ford is 76. the list goes on, and I didn't even touch on musicians.

For Heaven's sake, don't jinx them!  

-----
I'm a very forgiving person ... on Lord Vader's terms.  "Apology accepted, Captain."
Besides, John Singleton was only 51.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
RIP Peter Mayhew
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(05-02-2019, 07:08 PM)robkelk Wrote: RIP Peter Mayhew

Sad I got his autograph at a Gen Con back around 2010 or '11 or so.  The man was huge.
RIP Jean Vanier, founder of L'Arche.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Peggy Lipton of The Mod Squad and Twin Peaks.
-- Bob

Doris Day has died at the age of 97.

https://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries...story.html
Tim Conway, age 85.
-- Bob

(05-14-2019, 01:35 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Tim Conway, age 85.

He was one of a very small group of people who could make Carol Burnett break up in the middle of a sketch.

Sad
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(05-14-2019, 01:35 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Tim Conway, age 85.

awww bugger!!! a light of comedy who inspired me has just gone out....

so now all my fellow 'Legendaries' know who to blame for that quirky humor of mine! *rimshot.mp3*
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children