RE: The Cursed Thread of 2019
RIP I. M. Pei
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
The offficial Grumpy Catr has passed away at age 7.
https://www.wxyz.com/lifestyle/social-me...lyMn2h-ujc
Author Herman Wouk ("The Caine Mutiny", "The Winds of War") has died at the age of 103.

https://beta.washingtonpost.com/local/ob...story.html
Goodbye, Farewell, and Amen, Joe Dady.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
RIP Louis Levi Oakes, last surviving Mohawk codetalker from WWII. He was awarded the Silver Star for his service.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I was just looking at this forum about 20 minutes ago and thinking "wow, it's been 8 days since we had to report on anyone dying." I shoulda known better than to tempt fate; I saw this a minute ago:

Dr. John, New Orleans music legend, dies from heart attack at age 77
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
And we're a week late on this one:

Leon Redbone, age 69
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Dennis Day, former Mousketeer, was found dead in his home in Oregon in April, but was only identified with certainty last week.
-- Bob

RIP Franco Zeffirelli
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Gloria Vanderbilt, age 95
-- Bob

RIP Mohammed Morsi, ousted president of Egypt
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
RIP Dave Bartholomew, December 24, 1918 - June 23, 2019

He was a trumpeter, songwriter (co-writing "Ain't That a Shame" and "I'm Walkin'"), and arranger, and Fats Domino's producer.

Quote:Glenn Miller and Louis Armstrong had recorded Domino’s signature song, “Blueberry Hill,” in the 1940s. However, the Domino-Bartholomew version has become the standard arrangement. When Domino sang the line “The wind in the willow tree,” Mr. Bartholomew created a melody line that overlapped the pianist’s vocal and filled out the song’s sparse accompaniment.

“I was just covering up an empty spot,” he told the New Orleans music magazine Offbeat in 1990. “But now, everybody who plays ‘Blueberry Hill’ has to have that part in the middle. If it doesn’t come up in the middle, then it’s not ‘Blueberry Hill.’ ”
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Daniel Desmond Amofah, better known as Etika, YouTuber and Twitch streamer with a large following, was found dead yesterday after being missing for a week.
The dad from ALF has passed on: https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/06/m...-dead/amp/
Canadian lighthouse to U.S. Warship approaching it:  "This is a lighthouse.  Your call!"
Billy Drago dead at 73

Best Frank Nitti ever
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

Yesterday morning in Colorado, game designer and cosmic chew toy Lee Garvin lost the five- or six-year battle with a variety of ailments (and with the most fucked-up insurance system in any major industrial country, but that's a topic for the Politics forum) that had delayed the second edition of his 1990s pan-dimensional high-adventure-and-low-comedy RPG Tales from the Floating Vagabond and (along with other mishaps in his life) inspired his colleague Greg Porter to create and crowdfund the card game Killing Lee Garvin. From update #51 of KLG's Kickstarter campaign:

Quote:I was intending to update today with the news that my Fedex authorization for international bulk shipments finally went through. Which it did. However, Lee Garvin also went to the hospital this morning with chest pains and trouble breathing. And...you can see where this is going. (...)

Lee's brother Shea broke the news on Lee's Facebook page about an hour ago. Lee's page is https://www.facebook.com/lee.garvin.3

Timely information will likely be found there or on his brother's page. I will add anything relevant in future updates but I am sort of emotionally stunned at the moment.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/334...ts/2551067
Lee Iococca, the man who saved Ford in the 80s now dead
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

If anyone remembers Rowan and Martin's Laugh In, Arte Johnson just passed on:

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/arte-jo...1203259167
Canadian lighthouse to U.S. Warship approaching it:  "This is a lighthouse.  Your call!"
(07-03-2019, 05:42 PM)Pyeknu Wrote: If anyone remembers Rowan and Martin's Laugh In, Arte Johnson just passed on:

Verrrrry interesting ... but saddening!
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
The brash billionaire who ran for President is no longer with us.

RIP Ross Perot
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Quote:The brash billionaire who ran for President is no longer with us.

Don't get my hopes up like that, willya?
-- Bob

HUh??? Oh. You mean that orangutang with the bad hair piece? The one that if the Democrats are smart all they'll do is NOT run Madam Clinton and let him shoot himself in the privies?
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
Rip Torn has passed on...and no, this is no hoax, this time:

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2019...es-aged-88
This is admittedly premature, but Denise Nickerson -- best known as Violet Beauregard from the original Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, has been taken off life support after suffering a massive seizure.

EDIT: Not premature at all -- according to Variety, she had already passed away at the time I posted thie.
-- Bob

RIP Johnny Clegg

RIP Howard Engel, author of the Benny Cooperman detective series
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown