Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I want to be fair and as impartial as possible
I want to be fair and as impartial as possible
Alright guys, here's the thing, i know that not only am i biased, but i'm an asshole. I try most times to reign it in, that is why i don't answer some posts for a few days, or when I do, i ignore certain parts.

That said, i'm taking a hand at trying to write a piece of original fiction for the second time. The first time was back in 11 and ended up too damn prophetic for my liking so i stopped. This time i've accepted that i might just be writing what is likely to happen over the next twenty years and am rolling with it. Now most of you are probably thinking, Ok, but why are you posting this in the politics thread and not the fiction thread? The answer there lies in the subject matter and the backstory. The backstory is effectively the last 30 years of American history as seen from the point of view of the writer. That said, i don't want to be as biased as i would likely be if i wrote at least the first chapter alone, so i would appreciate your help. The first chapter is basically an overview including the 2016 and 2018 elections, and then there will be various chapter starts that also give historical perspective but mostly past the 2018/2020 election cycles. 

sigh: but again, i'm biased, and i don't want to be completely overpowering with it, so would you be willing to help?

Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

RE: I want to be fair and as impartial as possible
Being impartial isn't entirely necessary in fiction.  After all, what would Atlas Shrugged be without ideology and self-delusion?  It seems like the premise is ideological anyway -- the real "world government" looks pretty much like world leaders slamming their shoes one the table at each other in the UN building, and is about as effective.

I think for me it's all about empathy, though.  You have to understand why a character would act the way he does.  Like, the way you scare-quoted "peacekeeping missions".  I mean, I actually agree with the sentiment there, but understand why someone thinks that sending in soldiers is a way of keeping peace.  For characters who are generally pretty smart -- of which there are some on all sides -- don't start with ignorance or malice.  Try to build a case for how their mind would work.  Never assume that someone would vote against their own interests (hi @liberals), they must prioritize their interests differently than you do.  You can build towards malice, of course -- character development is always good.

I think my biggest critique is with "Chapter One".  People know recent history; start in medias res.  Then slowly reveal how you got to this point.  Like, say, 1984.  IIRC, a lot of the "how we got here" stuff gets explained just before the climax in Room 101.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Thanks, this might not end up as chapter one, but it all I have typed ATP, add to that, I want to get the "history" scenes completed before I get into meat because how they set things up will certainly dictate certain points
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

Why yes, I do have friends who have spent 100+ hours building a setting for an RPG that we'll probably never get to interact with 90% of. Building settings is just fun. J.R.R. Tolkien, too. Worked out great for him.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto