Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[I/OOC] Incidental Bits
RE: [I/OOC] Incidental Bits
Heh-heh-heh. Any bets that he would jump at the chance of flying a Valkyrie?
(08-10-2019, 06:27 PM)Dartz Wrote: "404 Tomcat Ball, 4.5"

"Maverick, shouldn't they be, like, answering us?"

"Tomcat 404 this is NAS Sherman Field, please state your identity, fuel status, and destination. We have you five-zero miles east of our station on a heading of two-seven-zero true.
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

(08-11-2019, 03:13 AM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: Heh-heh-heh.  Any bets that he would jump at the chance of flying a Valkyrie?

"No man 'flies' me."

"Wrong sort of Valkyrie, Skuld."
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Nah, Sherman is waaayyyy too tame for our setting. You gotta add to the WTF factor. Like so...

"Attention Tomcat 404 - this is the TCS Tiger's Claw. We have you on our scopes. I know we're not exactly what you were expecting, but we stand ready to render assistance."

Not sure if the Bengal-class can do transatmospheric, but hey...
No, no they cannot. Sherman is the field for NAS Pensacola. The surprise would be them wondering how the hell they went from flying over the Indian ocean or Mirimar, to somewhere over Navarre beach
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

While creating "work-by-decade" categories over on All The Tropes, I had a thought: Gilbert and Sullivan are as far in the past to the women from Aqua as Shakespeare is in the past to us. As soon as Tomo realizes this, she just might ask whether they had to read a particular play in high school...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
"Why are you in bed with me?"

"You... asked me last night. Twice."

"I don't remember that?"

"Do you remember what you had to drink?"

"....And you said Yes?"

"Why wouldn't I?"

"I was drunk. You have those freaky powers. And.... and.....you're.... I know who you really are,"

"Yes. But I'm also a companion model boomer - and you needed companionship for the night. "

---------------------------------------

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
"You will be learning from Ms. Shirai how to control the Sailor Teleport to pinpoint accuracy, and she will be learning from you how to extend her range."

"That's work. What do we get out of it?"

Rob rolled his eyes at Usagi's question, then had an idea. "Remember when Rui-chan, Mako-chan, and I went up north for a week? Remember that really good cream soda that we brought back with us? Wouldn't you like to be able to go buy some whenever you want without needing a six-hour drive each way?"

Usagi thought for a moment, then grinned. "When do we start the lessons?"

(Temagami Dry cream soda and ginger ale - good luck finding them anywhere south of North Bay, ON. So, technically, a four-hour drive each way... but Rob isn't going to mention that to Usagi.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
"..... Okay, color me Fucking Impressed(tm), because I have no idea how you guys managed do that."

"To be honest, we have no idea ourselves."

"Well, one thing's for sure, we are NOT getting the deposit back on that rental!"
"Ryoga, have you ever heard of GPS?"

"Yes. They tried to arrest me for vagrancy."

Epsilon looked puzzled for a moment, then had a realization. "Not the Guelph Police Service. How did you get to Guelph, anyway? No, don't answer that. GPS as in Global Positioning System - a set of satellites and portable devices that help people find their way around."

"Like a map? I've never been good with maps."

"These devices tell you where to go."

"Hey, I can tell him where to go!"

"Shut up, Ranma!"

As the two got into yet another of their fights, Epsilon decided to wait for another chance to show Ryoga how the GPS in his new cellphone worked.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Idea rather than scenelet.

I mentioned this in General. Given Kazari's reputation in canon, maybe she'll give it a try and discover she has a talent for being a spy instead of a policewoman...?

EDIT: With her specialty skills, either way she'd get a desk job.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I recall that we put Hokago Teatime at "Bob's place", somewhere in New Brunswick, NJ.

Google Maps tells me that it's a five hour drive from New Brunswick, NJ to Irondequoit, NY, taking I-78, PA-33, I-380, I-81,* and I-90... but Mio and Azuza might convince everybody else to ditch classes one Friday and make a weekend trip to go shopping.

"Look at all the Geetahs! In all those different colors!"

"Look at all the Mustangs..."

"Look at all the lefty basses... I'm staying here forever!"

"So where are the drum sets?"

* I've been to the very north end of I-81 in real life. There's a nice observation tower just the other side of the border crossing (nothing fancy, but you can see most of the Thousand Islands from it)... and then it's a 95-or-so-minute drive to Ottawa. Just saying.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
While it's probably not quite as extensive as the House of Guitars, the Guitar Center on Route 18 in East Brunswick, about 20 minutes away from "Bob's Place", might be a bit more convenient...

EDIT: And they have drum sets, too. <grin>
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
So does the House of Guitars - it's a legacy name. (The sell vinyl and CDs, too.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
You know that thing where you're working on one story and then a fragment from another story like way, way later wants to be written right now?

Quote:Webbigail Vanderquack found herself alone in a room lined with crystals, glowing blue.  All around the room were depictions of the feathered serpent, but unlike the art outside, they weren't representational.  They were almost like photographs, etched into the walls.

In the center of the room lie a stone altar, carved in the style of the Mayan Ducks, and littered with the desiccated remains of sacrifices of grain and spice.  Behind it, like a tall crystal pedestal bearing a pink tube with a large round aquamarine mounted on top.  Around this was a perfectly circular force field.  While dirt and rubble covered the floor, inside the field the metal floor was shiny and spotless.

No one had been inside this chamber for hundreds of years.  But inside the force field, the pedestal hadn't been touched for far longer.

As she approached the altar, she heard a something like a mechanical whir.  Suddenly, a tall creature appeared in front of her, long and tall, with teeth in its mouth.  She jumped back immediately.  But then she realized that the creature wasn't quite there after all; it was a little translucent, a holographic projection.

Her flat orange feet stepped forward again.  The figure in the hologram looked something like a dinosaur, but she had never heard of dinosaurs having feathers like herself.  And what feathers they were!  The feathers were red, and gold, and a deep blue.  And atop her head, a tiara of the finest silver.

"Hello?" Webby ventured.

The hologram animated at once, and in a low grumble, it began to speak.

"Greetings, fellow child of this planet.  I am Queen Zratha.  I wish I could be here to meet you, across the long boundary of time and space, but please know that even now, I pray for you, the hope of tomorrow.

"If you're hearing this message, then I failed.  I tried by best for everyone's sake.  And I hope that you can do the same, child of destiny.  Take the transformation pen, and fight with all your heart for love and justice."

The force field surrounding the crystal pedestal deactivated.  Webby slowly approached at first.  Webby couldn't quite reach it -- obviously the whole room was designed for taller people-dinosaur things.  She climbed atop the stone altar left by the prehistoric ducks, and on tiptoes, gingerly plucked the pink wand from its slot on the pedestal.

In the next minute, the arcane knowledge of what she was, and what she could become, flooded into her mind.  A few seconds more, and she knew what she had to do.  She knew how to save everyone.

Webbigail called out the mystical activation phrase, "Anatia Power, Make Up!"

Two notes: That's supposed to be the epilogue of a story where Brent and Entchen get to make first contact in Duckburg (hijinks ensue), in that planet's 1960s era.  The rule of contagion applies after they leave.  Second, that's original Webby, not the new version which I haven't yet seen.  From what I read, new Webby would not fit into the Barksian world at all (which isn't a complaint), but also she doesn't sound like she'd fit the mold of sailor guardian either.  (Not that Barks is perfect either, don't even get me started on Daisy Duck!)
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Daisy is Donald's SO.

Donald is a sailor in the US Navy.

'Nuff said. Wink

As for Webby...

...Well, you take your cues from the comics, which we've already determined deviates a good deal from the television series. So I honestly can't say much in that regard.

I have no idea about Queen Zratha and Anatia. Google just pulls up random stuff when I force it to search for the terms I wanted and not what it thought I meant. It sounds awfully familiar though. Was this something that came up before and my sleep-deprived brain simply isn't up to snuff again?
The Queen's name is... completely random.  Based on Google, it appears Star Wars beat me to the randomness.

As for a sailor... hehe!  I have a collection called "Donald and Daisy".  It was originally going to be a collection of Daisy Duck stories, but after they started looking around, it turns out that she doesn't have any depth.  She's only a foil to Donald.  Carl Barks really couldn't write women.  Even his best woman, Glittering Goldie: she has her motivations but she's still a romantic foil.  Thus, Webby is chosen for this, even though she's not in the comics.   At least classic Webby makes sense as a 1960s girl.  I couldn't very well use April, May and June -- Huey, Dewey, and Louie's distaff counterparts.  (But if you look at the newer Euro comics, and ever thought Scrooge needed a tsundere girlfriend, Brigitta MacBridge Big Grin )

Anatia is an obscure reference to this page, but it is the kind of thing you can figure out with an English dictionary.  Probably should be updated to be "Anatina".

Oh, oh, by the way, one of the first things that Rob's crew would notice about this world is that it's an Earth -- almost.  The Yucatán is somewhat less flat, and the area around Botswana is... a salt flat.  By implication, Quetzalcoatl-chan above was a Queen Serenity analogue from before the K-T boundary, and the ducks that built a step pyramid above this chamber worshiped her millions of years after the fact.  Her deeds may be forgotten in deep time, but at least on her world, the dinosaurs still rule the Earth.
We were thinking that Clow Reed and Academy City's Aleister were the same person - Aleister Crowley - and let people deal with the emotional fallout once this is discovered, so...

"Clow Reed is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my entire life."

For folks who don't recognize what I'm riffing off of:
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
"It was much better than Cats. I'm going to see it again and again."
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Sora Naegino said cheerfully, "Let me introduce you all to Mr. Policeman."

"Nice to meet you, Mr. Policeman!" said Akari Mizunashi, without even a trace of sarcasm.

Clow Reed being Aleister Crowley raises metaphysical problems for me... although that would be a good excuse to bring in Naraku, right?  But beyond them not really being all that alike beyond the backstory, could you really see Yue falling in love with Aleister?  Funny idea, though.

(Edit by Bob: fixed spoiler markup)
Here's a bit that could apply to so many different displacee/landlord or displacee/displacee pairings...

"Is there any chance you could teach me to drive?"

"Why do you want to learn?"

"In case I'm on a bus, and there's a bomb on the bus that'll go off if the bus drops below 50, and the driver gets shot, and ..."

"That was a movie!"

"And I'm from a TV show. What's your point?"
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Misadventures of the no-shit-there-we-were variety...

"Was that as close as I think it was?"

"Should I check?"

"If it was close enough that you need to check, then the answer is TOO CLOSE."

"Oh.  We should run now, right?"

"Lemme put it this way: I hope you got a teleport spell primed."
(03-02-2020, 12:47 AM)In 'The Sixth Thread of Planning for Arc 1 - Arrivals', Labster Wrote: And, of course, in the '90s the Mercury Computer was very futuristic -- now that form factor has been made and has already gone out of style!  (Of course the onboard sensors are still quite futuristic.)

"What's got you so glum, pretty lady?"

Ami looked up at Rob, tears in her eyes. "I used the Mercury Computer to take notes in class today, and people laughed at me!"

Rob winced. There was no way for Ami's classmates to know that her palmtop was the most powerful device in the room. Then he had an idea. "Back when Blackberry still made hardware, I used to use my cellphone as a front-end to my tablet. Maybe Kazari and HAL could whip up something similar for you so you use your phone in public."

"And keep the Mercury Computer in my pocket?" He nodded. "Do ... do you think they could?"

"I'm sure they could," he answered as he gave her a hug. "You've already got your visor as a front-end to your computer when you're in senshi form."
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Something that's wip from an artist - I'll post more deets when its done. No sharey just yet

"You should try it. The power of cleavage compells you."

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
(03-25-2020, 02:38 PM)Dartz Wrote: Something that's wip from an artist - I'll post more deets when its done. No sharey just yet

"You should try it. The power of cleavage compells you."

"At least it's not boob-socks."  :V