Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[I/OOC] Incidental Bits
RE: [I/OOC] Incidental Bits
"I only wear those on stage. You should try a set on. I'm sure Washuu could help with that."

-----

Meta: It's more fun to tease the PC's than the NPC's, after all. Especially since the PC's are of age. That was the original intent of Meg's contribution to the Halloween thread - a bit of teasing around the fact that they all knew who Meg had been....

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
OOC

It's a pity that we didn't get the Nanoha folks from StrikerS.

Out here in the real world, Venus is visiting Subaru today.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(04-03-2020, 09:43 AM)robkelk Wrote: OOC

It's a pity that we didn't get the Nanoha folks from StrikerS.

Out here in the real world, Venus is visiting Subaru today.

They'll be along eventually.  I do have to do a bit of work sorting out their timelines, though.
I know it isn't intended to be her, but as soon as I read this xkcd strip, I thought "hello, Tomo."

[Image: use_or_discard_by.png]

EDIT: My second thought was, "or maybe Osaka."
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
On third thought, Kagura?  (Seriously, any bonkura will do.)  I think her acquaintance with starting pistols might make her more likely to actually follow through with this.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
(01-21-2020, 05:49 AM)Labster Wrote: The Queen's name is... completely random.  Based on Google, it appears Star Wars beat me to the randomness.

As for a sailor... hehe!  I have a collection called "Donald and Daisy".  It was originally going to be a collection of Daisy Duck stories, but after they started looking around, it turns out that she doesn't have any depth.  She's only a foil to Donald.  Carl Barks really couldn't write women.  Even his best woman, Glittering Goldie: she has her motivations but she's still a romantic foil.  Thus, Webby is chosen for this, even though she's not in the comics.   At least classic Webby makes sense as a 1960s girl.  I couldn't very well use April, May and June -- Huey, Dewey, and Louie's distaff counterparts.  (But if you look at the newer Euro comics, and ever thought Scrooge needed a tsundere girlfriend, Brigitta MacBridge Big Grin )

Anatia is an obscure reference to this page, but it is the kind of thing you can figure out with an English dictionary.  Probably should be updated to be "Anatina".

Oh, oh, by the way, one of the first things that Rob's crew would notice about this world is that it's an Earth -- almost.  The Yucatán is somewhat less flat, and the area around Botswana is... a salt flat.  By implication, Quetzalcoatl-chan above was a Queen Serenity analogue from before the K-T boundary, and the ducks that built a step pyramid above this chamber worshiped her millions of years after the fact.  Her deeds may be forgotten in deep time, but at least on her world, the dinosaurs still rule the Earth.

How close is the parallel between Anatia and Earth, anyway? Is Sailor Anatia familiar with A Certain Magical INDUCKS?
Big Grin
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
By this point in the story?  She's aware of the website.

It's closeish in terms of setting to Earth Prime.  You'd really have to read enough stories to get an idea of the canon.  There was a Library of Alexandria, but it didn't burn, and its knowledge was passed on in a very interesting way.  Florida was first explored by Poncey de Loon (no relation), California and Calisota were explored by Sir Francis Drake.  There was/is almost certainly an Aleister Crowley, if only because he name is also a bird pun.  But the year is probably... 1962?  Most of the traumatic events of the 20th century are glossed over, but not those of the 19th, so it's a little hard to tell.  The last event I can say for sure is the same is the sinking of the Titanic, though Scrooge was engaging in imperialism in Africa in the 1930s, in a fairly problematic story.

But it's a pretty futuristic setting in some ways too.  They would want to go to space.  I give it five years after first contact for Scrooge McDuck to become Grand Nagus.  The comic version of him never stops being a mean old miser who's still willing to take advantage of family to save a buck -- but not nearly so sad and selfish as he was originally presented on "Christmas on Bear Mountain".
For some reason I read that as ln ducks and wondered how you'd calculate the natural log of a duck?

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

.jpg   ducklog.jpg (Size: 21.09 KB / Downloads: 192)

Natural log ducks = 3
(05-14-2020, 06:28 PM)Labster Wrote: The comic version of him never stops being a mean old miser who's still willing to take advantage of family to save a buck -- but not nearly so sad and selfish as he was originally presented on "Christmas on Bear Mountain".

Yeesh.  Somehow I feel like the Scrooge McDuck from the animated series is the superior McDuck.  I couldn't enjoy reading about someone like that all the time.
(05-15-2020, 05:09 PM)Labster Wrote: Natural log ducks = 3

That's e rounded to one digit. Appropriate for a natural log. Smile
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(01-29-2019, 01:21 PM)Inquisitive Raven Wrote: Let me state for the record that I loathe the word "incant." AFAICT, it's a back-formation from "incantation" that was invented by fanfic writers. English already has a perfectly good word for the purpose, "chant." Note that both "chant" and "incantation" have the same Latin root; they just entered the English language via different, ahem, routes.

Also Grammarly flagged "incant" as an error while I was writing this reply and dictionary.com doesn't recognize the word. I checked.

On the other hand, Merriam-Webster recognizes the word. They report that it dates from 1945.

Back to the incidental bits. Since I just used one in Time Away, I should add one to the bin. Arc 2, maybe?

"If only I had more electricity to draw on, I could make this work," Mikoto Misaka said through gritted teeth.

Before anybody else could reply, Fate started chanting:
"To pound is lightning,
To echo is thunder,
Alcus Curtas Agias..."

As storm clouds gathered and started to send lightning down to the earth, Nanoha's eyes went wide. "Fate hasn't used that spell since she activated six Jewel Seeds at once... and it nearly killed her!"
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
OOC post.

In Real Life, this is a human-interest story. In There's Nothing Better, she's Ami's sempai - same university, same specialization, two years ahead. I'll probably never mention her in-story... unless she notices this, contacts me, and gives permission.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(03-25-2020, 02:38 PM)Dartz Wrote: "The power of cleavage compells you."

Or, in the original Japanese, "Mune-mune chu!"
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I was going to post a small story I wrote here, but then I realized that I maybe shouldn't publish something about a novel I had never actually read. So I'm now reading it, and you'll have to wait.

I already did a thing where decided to write a story about Aria, then read the manga, then became a fan. Perhaps I'm doing this whole fanfiction thing all backwards?
[bugsbunny]Welll maaaayyyyyyyyyyybbeeeeeeeeeee.[/bugsbunny]  Smile
(05-14-2020, 06:28 PM)Labster Wrote: By this point in the story?  She's aware of the website.

It's closeish in terms of setting to Earth Prime.  You'd really have to read enough stories to get an idea of the canon.  There was a Library of Alexandria, but it didn't burn, and its knowledge was passed on in a very interesting way.  Florida was first explored by Poncey de Loon (no relation), California and Calisota were explored by Sir Francis Drake.  There was/is almost certainly an Aleister Crowley, if only because he name is also a bird pun.  But the year is probably... 1962?  Most of the traumatic events of the 20th century are glossed over, but not those of the 19th, so it's a little hard to tell.  The last event I can say for sure is the same is the sinking of the Titanic, though Scrooge was engaging in imperialism in Africa in the 1930s, in a fairly problematic story.

But it's a pretty futuristic setting in some ways too.  They would want to go to space.  I give it five years after first contact for Scrooge McDuck to become Grand Nagus.  The comic version of him never stops being a mean old miser who's still willing to take advantage of family to save a buck -- but not nearly so sad and selfish as he was originally presented on "Christmas on Bear Mountain".

One problem with them going into space - they'd have to deal with the Evronians.

("Who?" Familiarize yourself with what the Italians did to the setting.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Something for Ben to say when something goes incredibly off the rails that one moment when he wasn't looking:

"Swear to God, I get busy with other shit for a while, and then someone shits ALL THE FUCKING BEDS with explosive diarrhea plus bonus Ebola virus."
I guarantee I'll manage that.

They looked around to see that the forward supply base was deserted and ransacked. "Not much chance of getting any help here. I wonder who attacked them?"

"Probably the Borg," Washuu replied. "They left behind this box of potentiometers."

"How do you go from that to thinking the Borg are responsible?"

"They're the only race that has no use for these. They think resistance is futile."

(Yeah, something of a shaggy-dog... Smile )
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(06-01-2020, 12:48 PM)Dartz Wrote: I guarantee I'll manage that.

Nah.  Not for this.  In this case, Ben would be commenting on a situation caused by someone being an absolutely horrible example of humanity, acting with the specific intent of inflicting pain upon others.  Your protagonists tend to hurt people by mistake, not on purpose.

(06-06-2020, 03:52 PM)robkelk Wrote: "...They think resistance is futile."

Keep that up, and Ben is gonna start carrying a noise maker that plays random sound effects (Like the sinking ship foghorn, or the lame gag is lame descending trumpet) every time someone cracks a horrible pun like that.

BTW, is "Punishing the Punsters" a trope?
(06-07-2020, 04:19 AM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: BTW, is "Punishing the Punsters" a trope?
I'm sure it is, but All The Tropes doesn't seem to have a page for it.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Crime and Pun-ishment? Smile
[Image: Strip61.gif]
Can't use this one until the secret's out, since the story she's from requires magic to be known to society.

"Kuroha-san, the more I learn about you, the more I wish I'd met you when you were alive."

"Oh, I wouldn't have looked twice at you when I was alive," Kuroha replied. "You aren't Japanese."

"There is that."

The scene also requires a non-Japanese male who can communicate with ghosts... Smile
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown