Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[I/OOC] Incidental Bits
RE: [I/OOC] Incidental Bits
<phhhbbbbbbbttttt>
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
"If you look up 'genki' in the dictionaty, you'll see a picture of Sakura."

Rob grinned as he reached for and opened his copy of The Anime Companion. "True, but it has to be a very specialized dictionary." He showed them the page.

"Hoeee..."
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Pfft. Poor Sakura. Always utterly bewildered by this world she's found herself in.

We'll make a genre-savvy hero out of her yet. Smile
Dropping this here so that I don't forget about it after the secret's revealed. Sure, Railgun can copy the ion-propulsion flight gimmick that Doug Sangnoir has used in DW, but she's a Level 5 esper. Her clones are only Level 3 - they'll have their metaphorical hands full just keeping an aerodynamic envelope stable around themselves, so they'll need a propulsion system of some sort. And the article (at least, the version aired on the radio this morning) says the inventor came up with an electric version over a decade ago.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Let's see whether anybody gets this crossover. I did my best to make it obvious, but it's almost as old as I am...

"I just got my nails done at the Salon East Beauty Parlor."

"Your hands smell like dish-washing liquid."

And, you know, that's pretty much all that needs to be done with that crossover... or can be done with it, for that matter. Not every reality that's dropped into the Metacontinuity will have an effect on it.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
... what's the crossover? All I see is Madge.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(01-23-2021, 08:20 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: ... what's the crossover?  All I see is Madge.

Crossing over to this setting. And, yes, it's Madge.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Ah. Yeah, kinda forgot the context here.
-- Bob

"It took Washuu-chan a week and a half to reverse-engineer that carbon coating the sensha-do tanks have. You better believe we're putting it on everything we've got!"

Considering how many lives it's saved and how many bones weren't broken when tanks were taken out of commission, why not put it on everything? Including Yang's hair, so nobody can shoot it any more. Smile
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I always thought it was just low explosives. Although I always thought it was hilarious whenever a tank got rolled onto its turret and the little white flag pops up from the belly.
Well, whenever the tank that Rabbit Team is in is taken out, Aya's glasses are broken but Aya's arms and legs aren't, just like everyone else's limbs. And they do mention a "carbon coating" of some sort to explain it away.

As for the explosives being low-power, they might be, but that HE round Hana fired to clear a snowbank during the Pravda battle didn't seem low-powered.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I wouldn't read too much into a set of glasses getting broken. I had a friend whose glasses were broken when the curtain airbags in his car deployed, and that by its very definition is a low-explosive charge.

But I guess I must have missed the bit about the carbon coating. I would assume that this is something that only covers the areas of the tanks occupied by its crew, otherwise we wouldn't see things like tanks taking battle damage.

As for that high-powered charge? I think that maybe the writers were letting that Japanism about student bodies governing themselves go a bit too far, as I'm sure that in all reality, they would have needed to get clearance from the officiators in order to use it due to the dangers involved.
Overheard at Callahan's...

"Since it wasn't the first time we'd caught him doing that on duty, I had no choice but to fire him."

Rob winced. "Yeah, I can see why. But what about the starboard engine monitor?"

"I had to fire her, too," replied Lindy with a straight face.

He blinked, noticed the smile that was starting to form on her face, and laughed. She quickly joined in.

After a few seconds, Rob said, "Oh, you had me going there. And we even have a similar joke here, too." Then he sighed, and continued, "I do like your sense of humour. If it wasn't for the fact that I already have three girlfriends - all of whom know about each other, I'll point out - I'd be asking whether you might be interested in a closer relationship between the two of us."

She smiled in all seriousness. "I'm flattered, but I don't think of you that way. I'd rather we just be friends."

He nodded as his cellphone alarm chimed. "Friends it is, then. And I have to go before the girls get home from school. Same time next week?"

"I'll be here!"
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Arc 2... or maybe not.

"Open fire."

"FEI-ZA... BEEM!"

"Please stop shouting your attacks, Ensign Takamachi."
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Links to incidental bits in the "planning for" thread:
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(09-16-2019, 05:31 PM)Dartz Wrote: "Why are you in bed with me?"

"You... asked me last night. Twice."

"I don't remember that?"

"Do you remember what you had to drink?"

"....And you said Yes?"

"Why wouldn't I?"

"I was drunk. You have those freaky powers. And.... and.....you're.... I know who you really are,"

"Yes. But I'm also a companion model boomer - and you needed companionship for the night. "

---------------------------------------

I would like to do something with this, somehow....

"It's OK, you were perfectly honourable for the entire night."                      "But it feels good...."

"It's not a real feeling. It's one you made."

"It is real. Right now, my feelings for you are real."        "And the feelings you have are real too."      "It's possible for someone to feel this way about you. It's possible for you to have these feelings about someone else."

"It feels so unlikely."

"It's difficult,"              "But you're a good soul. Just be honest with yourself, and allow it to happen, rather than try to force it."

"Why'd you do this?"

"Like I said. You needed companionship."

-------------

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
Osaka asked, "So, what happens when we die, Urd-sama?"

"Complicated stuff. Too complicated to explain to mortals like you."

Brent elaborated, "She doesn't want to tell you that Xenu sucks your soul up into his spaceship."

"Oh man, that asshole!" Urd grumbled in reminiscence. "I'm glad he's long gone. After he took out the Thetans, he attacked the Cthugua, and with typical Cthuguan overkill they turned him and his fleet to ashes."

Brent uttered, "Um..."

"Oh sorry, I meant to say that death is a divine mystery for each one of you to discover on your own."
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
<snrk>
-- Bob

Hah!

When Urd trollololols...
Did somebody say "trollololols"? Smile

Arc 3 at the earliest, I'd expect.

It had been a ceremony unlike any other in the Metacontinuity, as far as anyone present knew. But now it was time for the reception speeches - starting with the one given by the best man.

He cleared his throat, and began. "Mawwiage. Mawwiage is wat bwings us togeder today. Mawwiage, that bwessed awwangement, that dweam wifin a dream… "

"Say 'man and wife'!" Tomo shouted.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Pfft.  This would either be Ben's Big Fat Geek Wedding, or Rob's.  Depending on which one, it's either Rob or Ben quoting Princess Bride with Tomo collaborating.  Big Grin
(03-10-2021, 09:15 AM)robkelk Wrote: Did somebody say "trollololols"? Smile

Arc 3 at the earliest, I'd expect.

It had been a ceremony unlike any other in the Metacontinuity, as far as anyone present knew. But now it was time for the reception speeches - starting with the one given by the best man.

He cleared his throat, and began. "Mawwiage. Mawwiage is wat bwings us togeder today. Mawwiage, that bwessed awwangement, that dweam wifin a dream… "

"Say 'man and wife'!" Tomo shouted.

Did I ever mention that my best man and Peggy's maid of honor did that at our wedding reception to open the festivities?  Two thumbs up here.
-- Bob

To my sister at the rehearsal, because if I'd done it at the ceremony I'd have been tackled. Not just out of the wedding, but right out the door and out of the church.
-Now available with copious trivia!
(03-10-2021, 10:26 AM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: Pfft.  This would either be Ben's Big Fat Geek Wedding, or Rob's.  Depending on which one, it's either Rob or Ben quoting Princess Bride with Tomo collaborating.  Big Grin

Well, you have to consider which character is getting a princess bride... (looks at Ami)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
One nice thing about this sort of story is that one can do wish-fulfillment pieces like this one.

Her textbook hit the table harder than usual.

Everybody else in the common room turned to look at Ami. She looked upset.

"How am I supposed to study when I can't find any decent photos?"

Minako walked over, picked up the textbook that so offended Ami, and leafed through it. "Wow. I see your point."

"What point, Misaka Niiko asks?"

Minako turned to her, a frown on her face. "It isn't just the Oscars that are so white."

"Exactly!" complained Ami. "Nobody in these books looks like us!"

"Maybe we should do something about that," Kazari opined without looking up from her laptop. Five minutes later, she, HAL, and Washuu-chan had worked out a plan to collect public-domain photos of medical conditions and make them available on the net.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown