Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[I/OOC] Incidental Bits
RE: [I/OOC] Incidental Bits
Here's some silliness. This set is definitely not happening, even if we decide to add four-color supers into the setting. And there's a lot of different power rings out there nowadays...

"Touma Kamijo, you have great willpower. Welcome to the Green Lantern Corps." The ring slipped itself onto the middle finger of his right hand... and became inert.

"Just my luck."

"Usagi Tsukino, you have the ability to feel great love. Welcome to the Star Sapphire Corps."
"Usagi Tsukino, you have the ability to feel great hope. Welcome to the Blue Lantern Corps."

"Hey, we saw her first!" both rings said in unison.

Usagi sighed, then said, "Touma, I have a couple more rings for your right hand..."

"Accelerator, you have the ability to invoke great fear. Welcome to the Sinestro Corps."

He glared at the ring. "Fuck off."

"yessir..."
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
This bit, however, is likely to appear in a story some time in Arc 1. I ran it past BA first...

Washuu-chan listened to Ben's explanation of Ranma's condition, thought for a moment, then grinned. "I have just the thing!" She typed at her holo-keyboard for a moment, then a portal appeared over her shoulder just long enough for a cylinder to pop out. She grabbed it before it could fall to the floor, then tossed it to Ben. "Give him this!"

Ben looked at what he'd grabbed. It was a Thermos - complete with the brand name.

"Har, har. Very funny."
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Here's a far-future bit, set decades after Salem's been defeated. Dialogue just before this establishes that Ruiko's life-extension treatments left her looking 21 years old, while Kazari and Rob look 25. I think that this isn't going to change between now and whenever the story sees the light of day...

Aboard a no-longer-Starfleet runabout, October 26, 2047:

Ruiko stepped into her shoes, then opened the door, sashaying past Rob on the way to the cockpit. The outfit she was wearing was skin-tight, low-cut, white with emerald-green trim, and showed that she had kept herself very fit over the decades and throughout her life-extension treatments. Kazari followed, with nobody noticing what she was wearing.

Rob cleared his throat. "Rui-chan, that may be how female mecha pilots dress on this world, but only when they're actually piloting their mecha. And they don't act like they're nymphomaniacs."

Ruiko sighed in relief and dropped the sex-bomb act. "Oh, good. Would somebody get me a jacket, please?" Kazari handed her a long-sleeved jacket in the same colours as her bodysuit. "Thanks."
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Eventually, the displacees who are experts in particular fields are going to start writing manuals on their fields of expertise...

(Createrd here. Alas, they didn't have a ferret in their animal collection.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
"Madoka... we've been over this. There needs to be a very good reason for you to wake me up like this at... *squints at his phone* eight in the morning."

"Sayaka and Kyoko somehow found those goo bombs Mihoshi uses to restrain people.... and now they're stuck and Mihoshi can't get them out."

"And Washu-chan?"

"She says she's too busy."

"Noike?"

"Morning training with Urzu Squadron."

"Fuck a duck and screw a kangaroo. Alright, I'm going..."
October 1, 2017
11:06 am

She was doing her homework in the common room, textbooks spread out all over a table, when she remembered that her second-closest friend wasn't making lunch that day. She grabbed the cellphone that was sitting on the table and tapped the speed-dial button that she thought would connect her to a Chinese delivery restaurant. But she'd grabbed the wrong cellphone.

"Hello, you've reached the Goddess Help Line."

"Oh! Hello, Skuld. I didn't mean to call you. I'm sorry."

"That's all right. We wanted you to call us."

Because displacees get wishes, too. If they're worthy.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(08-10-2019, 06:27 PM)Dartz Wrote: "404 Tomcat Ball, 4.5"

"Maverick, shouldn't they be, like, answering us?"

"Maybe they haven't noticed us yet. Look at the size of that flattop!"

"Hey, Maverick, who the hell was 'Saunders'? Don't tell me they named that supercarrier after that guy who sells chicken."
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(03-23-2021, 07:15 AM)robkelk Wrote: Eventually, the displacees who are experts in particular fields are going to start writing manuals on their fields of expertise...

<O'Reilly parody featuring Midchildan magic.>

In the absence of a ferret for Yuuno, you should have used a cat (for the Liese twins and Linith) or a wolf (for Arf). Zafira doesn't count because he's a Belkan guardian beast.
Moon Gorgeous Meditation: Religious Practices as Civic Culture in the Silver Millennium

Fujitaka Kinomoto¹*, Daniel Jackson², Andrew Park³, Victor Bergman¹, Kaori Aida¹

ABSTRACT

Excavations of the Mare Serenitatis site have revealed much of the material culture of the Silver Millennium of the Moon Kingdom. Preserved in the regolith and rendered oxygen-free soon after the fall of the kingdom, recovered samples are of comparable level of preservation to those in Pompeii, thousands of years later.  Though eyewitnesses to the era have downplayed its importance, artifacts discovered suggest widespread participation in the cult of the princesses.  In addition to public temples, home shrines and idols to the sailor guardians appear to be commonplace.  We explore the differences between the perception of this cult among lunar commoners and those at the center of it.  And we contrast to similar cults of apotheosis, such as in Egypt, Rome, and Abydos, to show how worship in the Moon Kingdom was uniquely led by the lower classes.

¹ Serenity University
² University of Chicago
³ University of California, Los Angeles
* Corresponding Author: Email <fkinomoto@su.ed.ln>

"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
(04-14-2021, 02:21 AM)Inquisitive Raven Wrote:
(03-23-2021, 07:15 AM)robkelk Wrote: Eventually, the displacees who are experts in particular fields are going to start writing manuals on their fields of expertise...

<O'Reilly parody featuring Midchildan magic.>

In the absence of a ferret for Yuuno, you should have used a cat (for the Liese twins and Linith) or a wolf (for Arf). Zafira doesn't count because he's a Belkan guardian beast.

Their cat wasn't at all suitable for standing in for the Liese twins or Linith - it's a pampered fat-cat pet.

And Zafira could still appear on a cover...

--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
"You and your bright ideas. 'Let's drive to Ottawa instead of taking a portal'."

"I'm sorry..." Subaru apologized through her tears. "I thought it would be fun to see the country."

Yuu glared at Eimi. "Good going, Oba-ka. Now she's going to cry for the rest of the trip."

"Don't call me that!"

Meanwhile, Kazuki was desperately trying to figure out where they were. "I know what the sign says, but there isn't any place named Agloe on this map."

"Well, it's here..." Taishi pointed at the "Agloe General Store" sign. "It's not as if an entire town could suddenly come into existence. Are you sure you have the right map?"
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
The elementary and high-school students were all in classes, Accelerator and Hyoga were doing the tourist thing downtown, and Maika was out buying groceries. It was just Rob, Ami, Mii, and Mimi in the building, enjoying a rare day off.

"Anybody want to do anything special?" asked Rob.

Mii and Mimi shook their heads.

"I promised Skuld I'd teach her how to play chess," Ami replied while grabbing her coat.

"Ah. Have fun!"

Fifteen minutes later, Rob remembered Skuld was a Valkyrie as well as a Norn.

He couldn't sleep at all that night.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
OOC

I'm not saying folks should come visit the Montreal/Ottawa area in late-June 2017... but if they do come visit, here's who was playing at the Montebello Rock Festival that year.

(Image courtesy the festival's merch site on Bandcamp.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Damn. I might have traveled for that had I known about it at the time...

...what's that tiny little text that looks like it starts with "Special" next to bands like Sex Pistols, the Ramons, Spinal Tap, Twisted Sister...?
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
I think they're notes that the acts are tribute bands, not the real deal, but I'm not sure. The text in the scan is too small.

EDIT: Or I could zoom in on the image... (d'oh!) The notes for Deadly Apples and Blessed by a Broken Heart say "exclusive reunion" - the rest say "special tribute" in English or French.

Montebello has a rock festival every year (except this one, because of the pandemic), so it's never too late to visit. Just be prepared to camp, or get a hotel room in Montreal or Ottawa, or book early and pay through the nose for a room - the town's population goes from ~1k to ~200k for the event.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(05-20-2021, 09:26 AM)robkelk Wrote: I think they're notes that the acts are tribute bands, not the real deal, but I'm not sure. The text in the scan is too small.

Montebello has a rock festival every year (except this one, because of the pandemic), so it's never too late to visit. Just be prepared to camp, or get a hotel room in Montreal or Ottawa, or book early and pay through the nose for a room - the town's population goes from ~1k to ~200k for the event.

I would imagine that an RV with a good boondocking endurance would suffice, too?  Or do they not allow RVs in campsites?

(Here in the US, most state and national parks that have campsites will not only permit it, but the more developed camp sites will have water, electrical, and sometimes even sewage connections for RVs.)
Some campsites in Canada have full RV hookups, too. Don't know whether any in Montebello are included. (Fifty-one-and-a-half weeks per year, the cows outnumber the people in Montebello. I suspect camping is in farmers' fields.)

I do know that the largest hotel in Montebello is one of the "grand old hotels", and they want $300+ per night for a room in the off-season. (And it's a maximum of four to a room.) So, yeah, camp even if you have to buy a tent and sleeping bags - it'll cost a lot less.

EDIT: Oh, yes - legal drinking age in Quebec is 18.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Depending on who the supervillain takes hostage, one can play with being genre savvy...

Rob looked him straight in the eye. "Let her go!"

He did so. "Very poor choice of words."

But since he wasn't watching his victim's fall, he didn't notice that Hyoga's wings were extended before she was halfway to the ground.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(05-23-2021, 01:13 PM)robkelk Wrote: Depending on who the supervillain takes hostage, one can play with being genre savvy...

Rob looked him straight in the eye. "Let her go!"

He did so. "Very poor choice of words."

But since he wasn't watching his victim's fall, he didn't notice that Hyoga's wings were extended before she was halfway to the ground.

"You want to know how I got these scars?"

"I already know. A scriptwriter decided they were cool."
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
OOC - I have just discovered that there is a baked potato seller almost immediately beside the canal in Ottawa. (At least, they're there on Sundays.) I have to go get a potato, and find out how long they've been in business... and whether they get business from gondoliers.

EDIT two hours later: I couldn't finish the potato, it was that big. Tasty sauce on it. No butter - the place is vegan. And they've been there on Sundays since at least 2015. So, come to Ottawa during the summer, get a baked potato, eat it in the park beside the canal... and which of the Undines starts feeling homesick first?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(01-28-2021, 03:17 PM)robkelk Wrote: "It took Washuu-chan a week and a half to reverse-engineer that carbon coating the sensha-do tanks have. You better believe we're putting it on everything we've got!"

Considering how many lives it's saved and how many bones weren't broken when tanks were taken out of commission, why not put it on everything? Including Yang's hair, so nobody can shoot it any more. Smile

(01-28-2021, 07:17 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: I always thought it was just low explosives. Although I always thought it was hilarious whenever a tank got rolled onto its turret and the little white flag pops up from the belly.

If they use low explosives, I'd hate to see high explosives. Scene straight out of Der Film, during the exhibition match.

(I hear you asking, "Since when was the Kliment Voroshilov 2 amphibous?" Since Der Film, that's when.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
OOC: So... This post.

While it isn't the aesthetic that Tomoyo usually goes for, I can see Karou, Tina, and Taeko taking an interest in the boneyard and bringing their cameras... and their apartment-mates. Aoi posing with a PT Cruiser? Chika draped over the hood of a DeSoto that's older than her parents? Tomo playing at being Zenigata, "investigating" the wreck of a Corvette?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Something for Arc 2... because I remember somebody wanting a fleet to take command of.

"Luna, you used to be an admiral, right?"

The Mau - currently in cat form - turned away from her family and looked up at Rob's question. "That's right. I was one of Queen Serenity's military advisors during the Silver Millennium."

"That implies you and she had a navy. How big was your fleet?"

She sighed deeply. "Before or after Metaria's youma attacked?"

Rob had the grace to look chagrined. "Sorry." After a moment, he continued, "I was hoping that there might have been a few ships somewhere near the ruins of the capital, but that isn't very likely, is it? Even if there was a military base that close to the palace, they would have deployed every ship they had to defend the capital, wouldn't they?"

Artemis turned to Rob. "Why wouldn't there be a military base at the capital, Rob? There's a Canadian Forces Base here in Ottawa, after all."

"And each princess had a yacht that was hangared there, that last day," Luna added. "They refused to use them to escape - they stood and fought, and died, protecting the civilians."

"I don't suppose you remember where the hangars were?"

Luna gave Rob "the look" that all the females at Blossom had learned from Mikoto Misaka. "They were right beside my own office."

"I hadn't asked you that yet. But I'll ask the $64,000 question now: can you give directions to the hangars that Yuuno and Fujitaka could follow?"

I have more, but it's going on the wiki.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
This is definitely happening early in Arc 2 - after Starbase 1 show up, but before Moonbase Alpha does.

"Well, now it's official," Ruiko commented as she signed the form in front of witnesses. As the form was accepted by the registrar, she gave Rob a hug. "We can't back out of it now... dad."

"I wouldn't back out of this even if Hild offered me a free wish in exchange," her erstwhile landlord and new adoptive father replied while returning the hug. They gave Taeko and Tomoyo a moment to finish taking their photos and video of the occasion, respectively, then broke the hug. "Of course, now I get to complain about your choices of boyfriends," he added with a smile.

"And I get to complain about your choices of girlfriends," she added with the same level of teasing.

Near the back of the room, Ami sighed at that exchange. Mii turned to her. "What's wrong? You aren't jealous of her, are you?"

Ami shook her head. "No. If it was anyone else, I'd be jealous that she was getting a father figure. But I don't want Rob as a father figure. No, it just hit me that if I marry Rob, I'm going to have a daughter who's only three years younger than me."

"Oh. I didn't think of that." Mii paused for a moment, then added, "You'd better marry him first, Ami. You're a medical student."

"What does that have to do with anything?"

"You're actually being trained to give your little girl The Talk."

As Mii's words sank in, Ami's face turned red.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
OOC: While double-checking something else, I noticed that the AI in Kurz's Armslave is voiced by Yukari Tamura. So Nanoha can go talk to herself if she wants.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown