Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"If 2018 looked like an explosion in a banana factory, ..."
"If 2018 looked like an explosion in a banana factory, ..."
"... 2019 is on course for an equally dreary sequel."

Op-Ed by Michael Enright: Liberals around the world are struggling to define themselves

Quote:If you peruse the commentariat looking for enlightenment in all this, you will find that, yes indeedy, traditional liberals and their values are in crisis. Worldwide. Which must elate conservatives, right?

But wait. Dig deeper into current online punditry and you'll come across headlines like this: "Why Conservatives are in crisis."

Apparently there is enough crisis to go around for everybody.

Oh, and photographic evidence that a liberal Canadian Prime Minister and a conservative US President can get along:
[Image: regan-trudeau.jpg]
(Scott Stewart, Associated Press: Pierre Trudeau and Ronald Reagan in Washington, 1983)
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: "If 2018 looked like an explosion in a banana factory, ..."
Quote:If 2018 looked like an explosion in a banana factory, 2019 is on course for an equally dreary sequel.

Wait, I'm confused. An explosion in a banana factory sounds awesome and hilarious.

This might represent conditions in Canada, but in the US liberals are the most unified I've ever seen in my lifetime. Health care, environmental protection, and rule of law are flagship issues that we all agree on, and grassroots liberals are actually providing cover for electeds rather than the usual sniping from behind. Or rather, the same group of malcontents are still sniping, but so many center-left people are involved at the grassroots level that the net effect is cover.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
RE: "If 2018 looked like an explosion in a banana factory, ..."
In other words, this is yet another case where the labels that Americans put on politics do not match up with the labels the rest of the world uses. Cause we're a bunch of special snowflakes that way. :V