Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Senator Rand Paul (R-KY), outspoken critic of Obamacare, to have surgery in Canada
Senator Rand Paul (R-KY), outspoken critic of Obamacare, to have surgery in Canada
AP: U.S. Republican Sen. Rand Paul coming to Canada for surgery

Quote:In choosing Shouldice, Paul will receive care in a country that offers its citizens a publicly funded, universal health-care system that runs counter to Paul's approach to American health-care policy.

Bad optics, dude...
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: Senator Rand Paul (R-KY), outspoken critic of Obamacare, to have surgery in Canada
That simply makes me laugh. I hope whichever province puts up to this idiot charges him through the hilt when he goes in.
Canadian lighthouse to U.S. Warship approaching it:  "This is a lighthouse.  Your call!"
RE: Senator Rand Paul (R-KY), outspoken critic of Obamacare, to have surgery in Canada
It's Ontario...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
He’s not an idiot. He’s just an asshole. He simply doesn’t give two fucks while big pharma lines his pockets. Oh, I’m sorry. They just make very generous campaign donations.
It seems to me, the pharma industry should be in favor of Obamacare though. I mean, more people having health insurance means more people seeing doctors and getting prescriptions for the latest magic pill, and then being able to actually buy them. Wherever the money comes from, isn't the important part in their books that it gets filled in under "Accounts recievable?"
--
‎noli esse culus
Are you kidding? If we had a universal healthcare system in place, we'd have the ability to force big pharma into charging a reasonable price instead of wildly overcharging - something that has been gleefully admitted to. In fact, the one guy that got called out onto the carpet by the Senate during Obama's term said that the only thing he regretted was not charging even more!

"Oh, so you wanna charge how much? Okay, we'll just go with this generic provider instead. Oh? What's that? Copyright you say? Sorry, Imminent Domain, bitch."

Yes, it's something that people have actually been giving thought to.
http://www.ipprospective.com/copyright-c...mbination/
That just means the generic providers should be the ones getting behind the idea and shoving, to get that share of the pie. Perhaps I'm simply assuming too much enlightenment in the enlightened self-interest...
--
‎noli esse culus
Shareholders want to keep seeing their 8-10% quarterly growth no matter what, and they really don’t care if they kill their goose because they figure there is always another one laying around.

God, I hate the current finance culture.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
BA nailed it. Over here we have a much larger range of medications that are subsidized by the government, and there are laws and provisions in place to allow the production and sale of generic variants. This is why my medications cost me about $30 a month as opposed to several hundred at least. American Big Pharma is amazingly blatant about wanting All The Money, as opposed to some of the money and actual souls.
(01-22-2019, 05:05 AM)classicdrogn Wrote: That just means the generic providers should be the ones getting behind the idea and shoving, to get that share of the pie. Perhaps I'm simply assuming too much enlightenment in the enlightened self-interest...

I've been lead to believe that, much like dollar stores / 100-yen shops, generic drug manufacturers operate on margins too thin to have cash to throw at lobbyists.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(01-22-2019, 11:09 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(01-22-2019, 05:05 AM)classicdrogn Wrote: That just means the generic providers should be the ones getting behind the idea and shoving, to get that share of the pie. Perhaps I'm simply assuming too much enlightenment in the enlightened self-interest...

I've been lead to believe that, much like dollar stores / 100-yen shops, generic drug manufacturers operate on margins too thin to have cash to throw at lobbyists.

Looking at the Wikipedia article on Generics, companies that make them do that and nothing else.  Which means that their only operating costs are that of just making the meds.  They have no R&D to support.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generic_drug