Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIII
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIII
Search box is borked. Don't have time to file a Phabricator report about it, and probably won't for the rest of the week...
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
I've been assuming that the search-impacting DB stuff announced a few days ago was still going on. Is this not the case, then?
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Okay, why does the wiki suddenly feel like it has to offer me the visual editor every time I open up a page to work on it?
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(07-17-2019, 12:01 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I've been assuming that the search-impacting DB stuff announced a few days ago was still going on.  Is this not the case, then?

Search works fine on the freebie wiki, although autocomplete is now case-sensitive (which it wasn't before the changeover).

Search and autocomplete both don't work on ATT.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(07-17-2019, 01:22 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Okay, why does the wiki suddenly feel like it has to offer me the visual editor every time I open up a page to work on it?

Don't know - I'm not seeing that behaviour.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Interestingly, I had an email in my inbox this morning from a Miraheze staff member in response to their survey, referencing an issue that it acknowledged had been taking too long to address. I had no time to respond before I needed to leave for work, and given that I've filed at least two issues in the last couple months, I'm not even sure what issue it's referring to. It may be the auto-license extension for file uploads; I've recently gotten a couple CCs on sudden activity on that front. I'll have to check tonight when I get home.
-- Bob

I know they're working on the auto-license extension, or at least thinking about maintaining it.

So in terms of Miraheze for me, I've kind of reached a point where participating on the wiki farm isn't really fun for me. It's not that it's terribly boring or anything, or I don't believe in it. I definitely believe that we should have free wikis for all and so on. But I have a lot of various things going on in my life, like my mother having a broken hip, my contributions to other open source projects, getting actual senior programmers reporting to me at work (how did this happen lol), trying to write fiction, working for the local Democratic Party, and you know, one of these days, maybe making an honest attempt to get a girlfriend.

So I think my interest has waned to a point that it's affecting the project adversely. I think that there was one year that went by where I made less than 10 edits on the farm, excluding the finance page. I know how to get nonprofit status in the U.S. for a wiki farm, as I have done it before. It's just that if I did so, there would be more reporting requirements, and it would all fall back on me. If I start a California nonprofit, then we need at least one person in California to provide mailing and such, and that would probably lock me in. So I haven't done anything because being less lazy makes more work for me.

I don't mind being the financial backstop for Miraheze -- I could probably support it entirely myself if I wanted to -- but I shouldn't. It's a project that should definitely exist. I could help with incorporation and tax exemption too. But I think I want out.

I don't really know how to recruit more volunteers, but that's one thing that's really needed. Is anyone here interested in volunteering to do these kinds of things for Miraheze -- sysadmin, security, finance, publicity, policy -- let me know.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Alas, that's too close to what I do for the government for me to be able to help there (other than financially) without risking conflict of interest. At least for now.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I will have to decline as well. I tend to be an "eyes bigger than stomach" kind of person when it comes to taking part in things like this, and eagerly accept more responsibility than I actually have the time or energy for -- and I don't want to hurt Miraheze by doing that, and then ignoring my duties because I simply am unable to do them.
-- Bob

Does anybody know of any video tutorials on how to use edit a wiki?

I just got a request for some on the freebie wiki, from somebody who's never used a wiki before today... so "Editing for Newbies" would be perfect.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Looks like we've got search back, although for some reason now pages keep displaying their "loading" spinner in Chrome long after they appear to have loaded their entire contents.

Meanwhile, I'm still getting the "Welcome to All the Tropes"/"Pick an Editor" pop up every freaking time I edit a page. In every browser I use. On multiple computers. I also note that my choice of visual vs. source editor on Flow pages no longer "sticks" -- it always goes back to source no matter how often I pick visual. This is getting really annoying.
-- Bob

I am not getting that at all - but I use the source editor, not the visual editor.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
And I just noticed yesterday -- the grey sidebar on the right edge of Flow pages no longer stays closed for me. Again, across multiple browsers and computers.
-- Bob

Is it just me or is TBeholder getting really snotty and arrogant about his half-assed trope candidates? My read on him comes off like we should be grateful he's granting us his wisdom and should fall over ourselves to ignore our guidelines and rules for him.
-- Bob

I just gave Mark D. Gordon a one-day attention-getter.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(07-24-2019, 07:16 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Is it just me or is TBeholder getting really snotty and arrogant about his half-assed trope candidates?  My read on him comes off like we should be grateful he's granting us his wisdom and should fall over ourselves to ignore our guidelines and rules for him.

I just noticed that it's possible to block an account from editing a specific namespace. Not saying that we should block TBeholder from "Trope Workshop:" (not without the mods discussing the action first), just that it's possible.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Don't tempt me.
-- Bob

Not without the mods discussing the action first.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Okay, go discuss tempting me. I'll wait. <grin>
-- Bob

(07-24-2019, 07:16 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Is it just me or is TBeholder getting really snotty and arrogant about his half-assed trope candidates?  My read on him comes off like we should be grateful he's granting us his wisdom and should fall over ourselves to ignore our guidelines and rules for him.

It isn't just you.

Tag, you're "it". You get to reply to him now. I'm no longer impartial. (And feel free to mention our usual "good mod / bad mod" dynamic and he's driven off the "good mod", if you think it'll help.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Yeah, he's starting to peg my obnox meter. I didn't quite use "good mod/bad mod" but I think I got the idea across. And because I've run out of patience with him, I've basically told him to fix the attitude or get out.
-- Bob

Okay, I'd really like the other admins to weigh in because I know I've become biased in this case, but I'm thinking that as of this morning TBeholder is definitely in violation of the "Don't Be A Huge Jerk" clause of our TOS.
-- Bob

He's kind of being a jerk. Y'all are not doing great either. I'm going to try making a few suggestions and see how they go over.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Thanks.
-- Bob

ATT Forum thread regarding this, on the Admins-only board.

And this is post #300 in this thread.

EDIT: Oh, and I just now thought to take a look at TBeholder's User page. Yeah, I'm recusing myself from all dealings with this particular Troper.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown