Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XII
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XII
I just did some work on All The Tropes:Works Page Guidelines.

If I erred anywhere, you know what to do. And after you're finished pointing and mocking, please fix the error.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(01-07-2019, 01:46 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Argh.  We need to reconcile Subculture and Subcultures.  How do we end up with almost-identical pages like this?  (Yes, I know... both came from TVT.  How did no one notice them before?)

Let's see what folks have to say about this. (I won't have a chance to look at this until the weekend, anyway, so let's give folks a chance to change my mind about how to approach the cleanup.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Folks so far being you and me. <sigh>
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Give it a couple of days...

I am so tempted to replace the character image of Mr. Burns (from The Simpsons) with this image because Gendo pose... but I don't want to give people the idea that we need to replace all the TVTropes images...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Well, hopefully the fact that you're only changing one image on a page full of them should be a major clue...
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Do we really need all the subpages under Turn of the Millennium? I mean, they're just lists, not content. If the pages are properly categorized, this is all redundant. And they're all at least six years out of date anyway, as new works pages get created and not added to these lists.
-- Bob

Much like that no-longer-existing page of where all those tropes' images came from, we can use them as checklists to make sure the works actually have the categories. As we confirm the categories are present, we can take the works off of these lists... and eventually redirect the pages to the matching categories.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
"Category:Films by decade" already existed.

"Category:Anime by decade" and the supercategory "Category:Media by decade" exist now.

Once we have the category infrastructure in place, we can start tagging those works pages.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Just added this category to Site Maintenance. I think I made sure all of its members are up to date, but I'd appreciate a double-check.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Do we have any kind of trope for a character feigning weakness? My search fu doesn't appear to be up to the task of finding it if there is one.
-- Bob

Fake Weakness. There's a list of more specific tropes on I Am Not Left-Handed
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Thank you!
-- Bob

Whee! Just needed to create Category:Films of the 1890s! (And I'm expecting to use it for more than one film.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
The wiki's gone 503 again...

Oh, and has anybody else had trouble using the search box to find categories, templates and files since the last upgrade?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Yeah, I have. I thought I was just mistyping what I was looking for, but yeah.
-- Bob

Wiki's back.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(01-13-2019, 07:17 PM)robkelk Wrote: Oh, and has anybody else had trouble using the search box to find categories, templates and files since the last upgrade?

It's not just the search box.  The pop-up hints no longer offer templates, categories or files, either.
-- Bob

Update on the search issue -- it would appear that search and hints no longer work on anything outside of the main namespace. It can't find anything in the project namespace anymore, for example.
-- Bob

I just tried setting the project namespace to being a namespace that has content. Let's give it a bit of time to index, and check in a few hours whether we can search for All The Tropes pages.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(01-16-2019, 07:25 PM)robkelk Wrote: I just tried setting the project namespace to being a namespace that has content. Let's give it a bit of time to index, and check in a few hours whether we can search for All The Tropes pages.

Two hours later, and no joy. (And I won't have time to enter a Phabricator report until tomorrow night at the earliest - could somebody else file a trouble ticket, please?)

At least I didn't just sit around and wait - the films added to the National Film Registry in 2018 now all have pages... most of which need both tropes and images.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Gah. I know I have a Phabricator account but for the life of me I can't remember what it was. Real name and wiki handle both fail. And trying to recover my password using my default email address gets me nothing, unless the message is coming by way of Medicine Hat. I'm going to have to wait until I get home and check what's in my browser password tool.

Oh, and whoever programmed Phabricator... helpfully giving both user name and password individual "failed" notices -- bad security practice.
-- Bob

Subject change.

The wording of this post worries me... "approved examples"?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Worse, "TVT approved examples". We are not TVT, we don't take our cues from them. If we did, there wouldn't be an allthetropes.org.
-- Bob

Thanks, Bob. I've added a reply to that thread.

EDIT: And, look, 299 posts. May as well start a new thread.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown