Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIII
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIII
I don't know how plainer I can make it that (s)he has to get consensus in the Forums before we'll make that change. Heck, I said it outright in the sandbox page.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
He doesn't ask, he doesn't get. It's as simple as that. Maybe it's the chance that everyone else will say "no" that he doesn't want to face. He can't delude himself then that it's a fascistic admin staff oppressing his obvious rightness or whatever other excuse he uses.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Here's something to watch - for good reasons.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I hate having to be the bad cop. Especially when I'm going to be out of touch for most of tomorrow.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Don't have time to look up a trope. What's the trope for taking a metaphor literally? (Here's a new example for that trope.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(07-01-2019, 06:11 PM)robkelk Wrote: I hate having to be the bad cop. Especially when I'm going to be out of touch for most of tomorrow.

Hey, I got pinged about this.  The @ping notifications are working again?

Oh, and the uploader replied with a barely literate sentence that makes almost no sense in the context.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(07-02-2019, 06:28 AM)robkelk Wrote: Don't have time to look up a trope. What's the trope for taking a metaphor literally? (Here's a new example for that trope.)

Literal-Minded seems to be what you want.
-- Bob

(Hey! Multiquote works in the default forum skin!)

(07-02-2019, 07:01 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(07-01-2019, 06:11 PM)robkelk Wrote: I hate having to be the bad cop. Especially when I'm going to be out of touch for most of tomorrow.

Hey, I got pinged about this.  The @ping notifications are working again?

Oh, and the uploader replied with a barely literate sentence that makes almost no sense in the context.

So I see. <sigh> Well, the image is gone, and that's the important part in the short term.

And @ping works more often than it doesn't, which is why I've started using it whenever I want somebody to read a message I ;eave on the user's own Talk page.

(07-02-2019, 07:04 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(07-02-2019, 06:28 AM)robkelk Wrote: Don't have time to look up a trope. What's the trope for taking a metaphor literally? (Here's a new example for that trope.)

Literal-Minded seems to be what you want.

That's the one, thanks. Example added.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(07-02-2019, 07:25 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(07-02-2019, 07:01 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Oh, and the uploader replied with a barely literate sentence that makes almost no sense in the context.

So I see. <sigh> Well, the image is gone, and that's the important part in the short term.
My best guess at what he was trying to convey was that the image was unsuitable -- because he didn't know how to resize images, since reading help pages and documentation is clearly below one of his vast intellect? -- so he didn't need it any more.  So I got rid of it for him.
-- Bob

(07-02-2019, 01:22 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(07-02-2019, 07:25 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(07-02-2019, 07:01 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Oh, and the uploader replied with a barely literate sentence that makes almost no sense in the context.

My best guess at what he was trying to convey was that the image was unsuitable -- because he didn't know how to resize images, since reading help pages and documentation is clearly below one of his vast intellect? -- so he didn't need it any more.  So I got rid of it for him.

Considering how poor his English was, he might not be able to read our Help pages. Please remind me next week to add "ATT Help for Dummies" to my list of things to do in my copious free time.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
What is this, Tempban Wednesday? I just had to shut down two third-grade-level vandals and someone who cloned a TVT article for third time despite an earlier warning -- and theyr'e all from anonymous IPs. The vandals got six months each, and the copyright violator got a one-month "wakeup call".

And I note our "ban reasons" list doesn't have "copyright violation" on it; I need to find where that is and add it.
-- Bob

Bob, you're looking for MediaWiki:Ipbreason-dropdown

EDIT: And since I had the page up anyway, I added "Repeated copyright violations" to the list.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Thank you!
-- Bob

I've been out of touch for awhile,and I apologize, but I'm now unable to login to Miraheze ATT for any reason, filed a support ticket via Phabricator about it.

In the meantime, managing the Wikia branch, where they are finally planning to update MediaWiki to something less terrible than the rickety garbage they've been saddled with for so long, and I've had to deal with an influx of plagiarists and people who have no ideas how wikis work plastering garbage I can't even read.

Also, seems TV Tropes favorite lunatic Nate Spidgewood is back, been exchanging emails with Fighteer about that. Aside from sending me some gibbering lunacy in a one off email, he's left me alone, but if he somehow winds up on our neck of the woods, let me know, he seems to be changing tactics and the fact TV Tropes has been so successful keeping him away may drive him to hassle us if keeps getting tossed out.

Remote chance, but it's still possible.

Also, TV Tropes has had some disgruntled users on the r/AllTheTropes subreddit of late, you guys may find the most recent post interesting reading, let me know if you want mod rights there.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AllTheTropes/co...tv_tropes/

In the meantime, rest assured I'm keeping tabs on things, let me know if there are things needing my personal touch I can actually handle.
I'm tempted to create a reddit account just so I can reply to that article, asking with my mod hat on for a similar writeup of what ATT is doing wrong. But, so far, I'm resisting temptation.

Bob, I see we've traded off our usual roles in this thread.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Heh, we have, haven't we? As a point of fact, I was aware of the Hong Kong legislature thing, but the way the examples were written made me think he was talking about something more recent.
-- Bob

I don't have the time to address it myself right now, but folks might want to put some work in on this page, just created by a new user who clearly doesn't have an idea how we do things here.
-- Bob

(07-05-2019, 12:34 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Heh, we have, haven't we?  As a point of fact, I was aware of the Hong Kong legislature thing, but the way the examples were written made me think he was talking about something more recent.

Considering everything that's been presented in that thread, I've removed 2dgirlfan from the list of Autopatrolled users. Again. (I don't know why Geth put 2dgirlfan back on the list a month after the last time I did that -- I thought the reason I gave was enough to show this wasn't one on a whim.)

(07-05-2019, 09:39 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I don't have the time to address it myself right now, but folks might want to put some work in on this page, just created by a new user who clearly doesn't have an idea how we do things here.

I've given it a first pass, fixing the most obvious errors. I also hung a Cleanup tag on the page.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(07-06-2019, 07:02 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(07-05-2019, 12:34 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Heh, we have, haven't we?  As a point of fact, I was aware of the Hong Kong legislature thing, but the way the examples were written made me think he was talking about something more recent.

Considering everything that's been presented in that thread, I've removed 2dgirlfan from the list of Autopatrolled users. Again. (I don't know why Geth put 2dgirlfan back on the list a month after the last time I did that -- I thought the reason I gave was enough to show this wasn't one on a whim.)

(07-05-2019, 09:39 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I don't have the time to address it myself right now, but folks might want to put some work in on this page, just created by a new user who clearly doesn't have an idea how we do things here.

I've given it a first pass, fixing the most obvious errors. I also hung a Cleanup tag on the page.

I'm still having trouble logging into Miraheze, so Rob, please act on your best judgment, I will not interfere even when I can resume logging in, it would seem your decisions in this matter are prudent and better reasoned than mine were.
I just made Template:Contested and Template:Outdated look like our other top-of-page templates. Do any other templates need work?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I might just be being paranoid, but when I see a new account with the name "YufaggsarMeah" created a half an hour ago. I can't help but suspect we've got an incoming vandal...
-- Bob

I am beginning to think that jason taylor's contributions are more trouble than they're worth.

https://allthetropes.org/wiki/Topic:V3f043b2ex97adn6
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(07-13-2019, 09:42 AM)robkelk Wrote: I am beginning to think that jason taylor's contributions are more trouble than they're worth.

https://allthetropes.org/wiki/Topic:V3f043b2ex97adn6

He's edited the wiki since I posted that, and he didn't reply. He gets a one-day attention-getter.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Remember, he has a history of "not noticing" he has messages during a tempban, while coincidentally making anonymous edits from multiple IPs.
-- Bob

It's time to clean out the Trope Workshop. We have 39 pages in it right now, and some of them are over a year old. I've started going through things and making recommendations, but it would help if others joined in.
-- Bob