Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIII
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIII
(01-25-2019, 04:29 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: What gave you that message?  I've never seen that before.

Was an email that came from Miraheze...

But, tbh, I may have just remembered that ATT moved off Miraheze. Or am I forgetting that it didn't.

It's been a while since I've followed the project in real detail.

It did seems to be an unusual thing to panic over but was related to some sort of security setting in a wiki.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
No, it's still on Miraheze -- it was Orain that we left when it was hacked.

And I eventually got a copy of the email, too, late yesterday. And frankly, I have no idea what it really means or what to do about it, except for the "it's a good idea to change your password regularly" part.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
I just got that email yesterday... and I got a private message that a regular on the freebie wiki also got the email. So, either it was the freebie wiki that had the misconfigured setting, or a bunch of wikis had the misconfiguration.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Anybody want to volunteer for a short-term project?

It could probably be done in one day. Too bad I don't have a free day on my schedule until July at the earliest (and maybe not then).
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
The setting wasn't actually misconfigured. It was just, well, the code was written with a different privacy regime in mind, before GDPR was a thing. Local wiki admins could change emails for users if SocialProfile was enabled -- which means they could also view the email. If you're running a single-site wiki, this makes sense. For a wiki farm, it's kind of a misfeature, as wiki admins are not website staff.

Only wiki admins and bureaucrats got to see the email address, and only for users with an account on that site. So pretty much, the people who had the most access to private data on Miraheze are all people who read this thread. Largest wikis, and all. (I'm the only Miraheze staff, so I'm allowed to see it, but the rest of you, not so much.) So in terms of it being an actual breach... is anyone here using email addresses they saw from SocialProfile? Since you all have a tendency to ask for CheckUser, I'm thinking not.

3884 users may have been affected in the worst case, though no one had access to the whole set. Split about 3 ways with verified email, unverified email, and empty email field (may have been deleted). My best guess at any actual information being seen is less than 100 times, and that information being used or recorded outside Miraheze is near zero. We have no evidence that anyone was actually compromised, but our logs don't go back to the time our privacy policy was enacted.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Thanks for the explanation, Brent.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Thanks, Brent. I'd been asked about this by a couple of the regular editors of the freebie wiki, so I've pointed them at your reply here.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
All right, can someone help me with this?

Do we, or do we not, have a trope about how bad guys are polite enough to fight a hero in a series of one-on-one battles instead of just mobbing him? I could have sworn we did, but I just grovelled through Combat Tropes and couldn't find it.

Thanks.
-- Bob

You don't want Combat Tropes, you want Hollywood Tactics... which mentions Mook Chivalry
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Yes, that's it! Thank you!
-- Bob

Why do we have both "Template:CategoryTOC" and "Template:Category TOC"?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Probably for the same reason we have/had "Unmarked Spoilers" and "Unmarked spoilers".

Unless they do radically different things, they should be merged into one. Do redirects work for templates?
-- Bob

I believe that they do. I'll double-check.

EDIT: Redirect works for templates. I kept Template:CategoryTOC, on account of I think the slightly more compact layout looks better.

Opinions, please. Last month, I tagged Trope_Workshop:Tailor-Made_Hospital_Room ("hospital room is personalized") with the speedy delete template, asking for three examples. We have the three examples (and no further work on the page since then), but the third example is an inversion of the trope ("personal room is made hospital-like"). Did I get my three examples?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
No. Three solid, genuine examples of the trope. An inversion is not an example. Nuke it.
-- Bob

Done. "Too Rare to Trope".
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Argh. The suggestion feature for the editor and the search function is now case-sensitive.
-- Bob

Miraheze appears to be completely down.

All The Tropes: 503
Poser and Daz Freebies: 503
There's Nothing Better: 503
Phabricator: A Troublesome Encounter! Woe! This request had its journey cut short by unexpected circumstances (Can Not Connect to MySQL).

EDIT: 40 minutes later, and the wikis are still down. Phabricator's back.

RE-EDIT: Another 14 minutes later, and the wikis just came back. (I got two 503s and a response when loading pages from all three wikis; re-loading the 503s got me content.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Looking for a trope or two again. Do we or do we not have tropes for home remedies, particularly disgusting ones?
-- Bob

I see nothing in Category:Doctor Index for home remedies. I do see Snake Oil Salesman, though.

Nothing for "Patent Medicine", nothing for "Home Remed*", nothing for "Hold Your Nose and *"... I'm guessing we don't have the trope yet.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
https://allthetropes.org/wiki/Hideous_Hangover_Cure best I can do

https://allthetropes.org/wiki/Spice_Rack_Panacea Seems close

https://allthetropes.org/wiki/All-Natural_Snake_Oil Is related
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
The old saw, "Sometimes the remedy is worse than the disease" is a real life trope for REASONS.
Thanks, but it looks like I'm going to have to spawn a new trope or two, because nothing is close enough. I'm watching a Korean romantic dramedy, and the heroine's family has an absolutely disgusting "guaranteed" home remedy: fermented shit liquor. "Poop alcohol" is the way the translators put it.

Yeah.
-- Bob

You can call it "Craptastic Remedy". Big Grin
"Seitokai Yakuindomo/Reviews" doesn't exist. "Seitokai Yakuindomo/Reviews/LQT Archive 1" does. How does one create the missing page?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Which trope is being discussed in this article? It isn't Bilingual Bonus...

EDIT: Sorry, I had confused Bilingual Bonus and Genius Bonus. This is a Bilingual Bonus.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown