Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIII
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIII
Okay, another "Do We Have This?":

Kitchen staff spitting in your food because you were a Jerkass about sending it back.

The closest I can find would be a twist on Senseless Phagia, but I think that's stretching it.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
The closest thing I found on ATT was Spiteful Spit, but this is more for people spitting at other people.

TVT has Revenge Is a Dish Best Served, which fits more.
Time to start working up another new trope, I guess. Thanks.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
I can't start a topic on Talk:Woody's Finest Hour

[23a93b06436dbefdff9ae68f] Caught exception of type Flow\Exception\NoParserException

Here's what I'm trying to post:
Quote:Needs a Better Title

The current name of this trope is "Woody's Finest Hour". However, this has nothing to do with [[Woody Allen]], [[Woody Harrelson]], or [[Woody Woodpecker]]. The description text hints that this might have something to do with a Pixar movie that I've never seen, but... well, I've never seen it, so I can't be sure.

Does anybody have any ideas for a less-confusing trope title for this?

EDIT: Yes, I am quite serious about never having seen any of the "Toy Story" movies.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Huh. I'm getting it, too. Those pink box errors are nasty.
-- Bob

On a happier topic, I'm starting the write-up for "Horrendous Home Remedy" and I'm soliciting examples. It's one of those things I know I've Seen A Million Times, but for the life of me nothing comes to mind when I try to think of cases to document. Searching through It Tastes Like Feet gave me a couple possible leads, but since that trope focuses on just the taste and not the composition of the cure, they're not very helpful.

I've put a copy of the incipient page up in my sandbox if anyone wants to look at how I defined it and add anything -- or you could just post a note here and I'll do the adding.

Either way, thanks.
-- Bob

Since we can't make forum posts at the moment... YKTTW the movie poster shows just the heads of the actors with the usual text? What's that called?

Examples:
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Appeal to Star Power?

Edit: as in "look at all these Stars you know. The movie's got to be good if it's got all of them!"
(02-21-2019, 12:27 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: On a happier topic, I'm starting the write-up for "Horrendous Home Remedy" and I'm soliciting examples.  It's one of those things I know I've Seen A Million Times, but for the life of me nothing comes to mind when I try to think of cases to document.  Searching through It Tastes Like Feet gave me a couple possible leads, but since that trope focuses on just the taste and not the composition of the cure, they're not very helpful.

I've put a copy of the incipient page up in my sandbox if anyone wants to look at how I defined it and add anything -- or you could just post a note here and I'll do the adding.

Either way, thanks.

You can easily say: "Just about every hangover cure in all of mass media."

But for a specific example, the hangover cure made in the surfer comedy movie, Back to the Beach.  What's even more amazing is that he actually drinks that mess!  And even more so, IT ACTUALLY WORKS!  Not IRL...  I seriously doubt anyone's tried it, but people are strange...

EDIT: Another example I just thought of: In the Utawarerumono animation, Oborou comes to Elelu seeking a hangover cure (after a night of Debauchery with Dori and Gura). She makes it and it's what you'd expect from an herbalist - green and pungent. When Oborou complains, Elelu says that her sister, Araru, will refuse to take medicine unless it's sweetened with some honey, so Elelu does this with the hangover cure.... Which somehow makes it worse, turning it to purple and giving it an evil odor that Elelu somehow does not notice at all!

EDIT2: Oh, that's right. You already have Hideous Hangover Cure as a subtrope to this.
(02-21-2019, 01:03 PM)robkelk Wrote: Since we can't make forum posts at the moment... YKTTW the movie poster shows just the heads of the actors with the usual text? What's that called?

Examples:

I'd say Floating Head Syndrome.
(02-21-2019, 09:22 AM)robkelk Wrote: I can't start a topic on Talk:Woody's Finest Hour

[23a93b06436dbefdff9ae68f] Caught exception of type Flow\Exception\NoParserException

Here's what I'm trying to post:
Quote:Needs a Better Title

The current name of this trope is "Woody's Finest Hour". However, this has nothing to do with [[Woody Allen]], [[Woody Harrelson]], or [[Woody Woodpecker]]. The description text hints that this might have something to do with a Pixar movie that I've never seen, but... well, I've never seen it, so I can't be sure.

Does anybody have any ideas for a less-confusing trope title for this?

EDIT: Yes, I am quite serious about never having seen any of the "Toy Story" movies.

I have two ideas: Cliff Hung, No Cliff Hanger Ending.
(02-22-2019, 11:48 PM)SelfCloak Wrote:
(02-21-2019, 01:03 PM)robkelk Wrote: Since we can't make forum posts at the moment... YKTTW the movie poster shows just the heads of the actors with the usual text? What's that called?

Examples:

I'd say Floating Head Syndrome.

Thanks. I've started an image page under that trope.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I do not trust my own judgment at the moment. (Bob knows why.) Is this set of edits revert-worthy, for poor grammar?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Is "Bob knows why" a statement about our forum leader, or is it some kind of Subgenius swearing?

On that topic it's... Honestly it feels like information overload for a trope wiki. Seriously, just mention that felids are the main group of obligate carnivores, order carnivora contains a few herbivores and not all the carnivores, link to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnivore#...carnivores and move on ppl. Revert seems reasonable to me because it's disorganized, off-topic information. The topic being "tropes in works of fiction".

The Red Panda example is good, but belongs on the Ascended to Carnivorism trope instead.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
(02-23-2019, 09:47 PM)robkelk Wrote: I do not trust my own judgment at the moment. (Bob knows why.) Is this set of edits revert-worthy, for poor grammar?

I was looking at them myself, and thinking much the same thing.  If I hadn't been busy with an all-day Shadowrun game yesterday I would have brought it up myself.

And yes, I know why; it's a personal matter.

Given it's twelve hours later, almost, and I haven't had a chance to check in on the wiki, have the changes been reverted yet by anyone?
-- Bob

Thanks.

And the edits have not been reverted yet.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I've got a pile of stuff to accomplish today, so I don't know if I'll even be on the wiki before tomorrow. Someone should go and revert them now, and if the user complains, we'll work it out with him.
-- Bob

Done. And I put all three of our names on the undo comment.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Is it wrong of me to sigh when I look at Recent Changes and I see six edits by Jason Taylor in a row? On the same page?
-- Bob

I've made repeated edits on a page myself more than once, so I'm not going to throw that stone... but you can sigh when I do it, too.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Nah, it's not the number of edits. It's what I'm going to have to fix that he's likely introduced in each one.
-- Bob

Ah. Can't help you there; I've got my own cleanup and page-enhancement projects.

(Speaking of which: Everybody, feel free to help with this one.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Oh, and the 503s are back again...

ETA: 34 minutes later, and they've vanished once more.
-- Bob

Here's a lucky find for the "Names to Know in Science Fiction and Fantasy" page: Heinlein, de Camp, and Asimov, during WWII

Bob, I've put this in the subsection "The Golden Age" for now. If you think it belongs in "The New Wave" instead, go ahead and move it.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Nope, works for me there.
-- Bob