Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIII
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIII
I'm starting to wonder if BuddyBoy actually speaks English at all. On his user talk page I asked him if he had thought about putting all the one-shot characters he's been adding to Sesame Street/Characters into their own section, and his answer was "I see!"
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Bob. There comes a time when you just gotta ask the question point-blank. Tongue
Yeah, I suppose you're right.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Okay, it's the latest installment of "Bob can barely remember a trope and goes fishing":

Do we or don't we have a trope for a virtual object, say in a video game, disappearing by "shattering" into evaporating polygons? I would have sworn I'd find it on the page for Sword Art Online, but no luck.
-- Bob

If we do, it should probably be called 'Derezzed', which is apparently the in-setting slang from Tron for a program getting deleted.
Oh, and I put a query up on BuddyBoy's talk page, asking if he actually can speak/read/write English. And I wrote it at a high-school/college level as an extra test. Not difficult for a native speaker, but possibly a challenge for one who isn't. If we get a short, inappropriate response, I'm inclined to do a test tempban just to see if we can get something more from him.
-- Bob

(04-19-2019, 12:18 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Okay, it's the latest installment of "Bob can barely remember a trope and goes fishing":

Do we or don't we have a trope for a virtual object, say in a video game, disappearing by "shattering" into evaporating polygons?  I would have sworn I'd find it on the page for Sword Art Online, but no luck.

(04-19-2019, 01:19 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: If we do, it should probably be called 'Derezzed', which is apparently the in-setting slang from Tron for a program getting deleted.

And our page for TRON says the trope is called Disappears Into Light.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Hm. That's a death trope... but we can probably add a line about inanimate objects disappearing the same way to cover what I'm looking for. Thanks, Rob!
-- Bob

Because of this, and the fact that it wasn't the first time this calendar year I've had to remove some of the user's text from the wiki in order to protect the wiki, I have removed 2dgirlfan from the autopatrolled list.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Sigh... Somebody out there likes creating accounts with Spanish-sounding names and moving User pages to names that are Spanish insults...

So, a technical question: Is there any way we can set User and User Talk pages to be unmovable except by admins by default?

Just sorted the listed examples for En Route Sum-Up - all four of them. The trope needs more examples.

Here's the trope in a nutshell:
Quote:When the Five-Man Band (or similar team) has a new mission in store, the Mission Control or an equivalent character (The Hero, The Smart Guy) will almost always explain the situation on the way, not beforehand.

Now... which James Bond movie started this way, with M giving the start-of-movie briefing while driving through London traffic? I can't remember. (I think it was a Timothy Dalton movie - I remember M was played by Dame Judi Densch.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Good morning all. I'm back from a weekend in Baltimore where I had no opportunity to do anything online for a good 60+ hours.

Good call on 2dgirlfan, Rob.

On the subject of vandalism and the like, has anyone looked into just what the hell "Mark D. Gordon" was up to on Doc Colress's talk page around 2 EDT on Friday? What with the repeated opening, closing, editing, summarizing of a single short topic I can't decide what he thought he was doing.
-- Bob

I've re-opened that subject and asked how it counts as vandalism.

I had semi-protected the entire "Complete Monster" page collection because DocColress told me that they were subject to repeated vandalism. If this sort of thing is what he meant, then
a) I should never have semi-protected the pages at all,
b) DocColress and "Mark D. Gordon" need to learn the difference between vandalism and differences of opinion, and
c) I have to ask: is DocColress acting like a TVTropes admin working for Fast Eddie? If he is, then I'll unprotect the pages and ask DocColress to explain his/her administration style to the rest of the admins.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I haven't paid any attention to what he does; I was assuming that since there were no significant complaints his actions were as expected, for the benefit of the wiki overall. Perhaps we need to review a few samples of his activity from every week for the last few weeks. At the least.
-- Bob

Anybody have a working bot? I'm growing tired changing hundreds of redirects to point to the actual pages, now that we've agreed to use the English names for anime instead of romanizatios of Japanese names...

Off the top of my head, here's a list of some of the redirects that need to be changed in the wild:
RedirectDestination page
Ichiban Ushiro no Dai MaouDemon King Daimao
Kidou Tenshi Angelic LayerAngelic Layer
Seitokai no IchizonStudent Council's Discretion
Sora no OtoshimonoHeaven's Lost Property
To Aru Majutsu no IndexA Certain Magical Index
EDIT: As long as I'm asking:
Hitch Hikers Guide to The GalaxyThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Abe KroenenAbe and Kroenen
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(04-19-2019, 04:22 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Oh, and I put a query up on BuddyBoy's talk page, asking if he actually can speak/read/write English.  And I wrote it at a high-school/college level as an extra test.  Not difficult for a native speaker, but possibly a challenge for one who isn't.  If we get a short, inappropriate response, I'm inclined to do a test tempban just to see if we can get something more from him.

Okay, and it's been ten days since I posted that question, with no reply.  However, it's been eleven days since he last made a substantial edit.  Given the problems we've been having with the notification system, I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt right now.
-- Bob

Oh, and while I'm on the subject of dubious users, I'm thinking we maybe ought to remove Jade Shauni from the autopatrolled group. Very late last night, well after I should have gone to bed, I look my first look at what (s)he's been doing with the page for Fuck No TV Tropes and was appalled at just how incomprehensible some of it was. I didn't have the time to repair it then (and "repair" is definitely the right word), so I put a cleanup template on it. In the mean time, I think we have to watch Jade's contributions very closely because some of his/her edits can only be said to be in English because you can find the words in an English dictionary; they're rarely arranged in a way that sounds like a native speaker, though.
-- Bob

(04-27-2019, 07:34 PM)robkelk Wrote: Anybody have a working bot? I'm growing tired changing hundreds of redirects to point to the actual pages, now that we've agreed to use the English names for anime instead of romanizatios of Japanese names...

May as well add some more, anime or non-. Here's a compiled list of what I've found so far:
RedirectDestination page
Abe KroenenAbe and Kroenen
All Lowercase Lettersall lowercase letters
All Powerful BystanderAll-Powerful Bystander
Do Not Call Me PaulDo Not Call Me "Paul"
Doctor Horribles Sing Along BlogDr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Film/Howls Moving CastleHowl's Moving Castle (anime)
Hitch Hikers Guide to The GalaxyThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Ichiban Ushiro no Dai MaouDemon King Daimao
Kidou Tenshi Angelic LayerAngelic Layer
Seitokai no IchizonStudent Council's Discretion
Sora no OtoshimonoHeaven's Lost Property
To Aru Majutsu no IndexA Certain Magical Index
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Okay, it's the latest installment of "Rob can barely remember a trope and goes fishing":

It's a news or talk-show trope: The person who usually asks the questions during an interview is replaced by a different interviewer, so that the usual interviewer can be interviewed.

"Trading Places" is about the movie, so that isn't it... Do we have this already?

(I only have one example right now: * ''[[As It Happens]]'': On November 30, 2017, Carol Off was replaced by Helen Mann... who [https://www.cbc.ca/listen/shows/as-it-ha...t/14998510 interviewed Carol Off] because the ''Ottawa Citizen'' newspaper had reported that she was on a mass-murderer's "hit list". )
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I just gave 108.210.180.169 a three-day vacation from the wiki for adding text from TV Tropes after Bob told him not to.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Quote:It's a news or talk-show trope: The person who usually asks the questions during an interview is replaced by a different interviewer, so that the usual interviewer can be interviewed. ... Do we have this already?

That doesn't ring a bell, but I'll keep an eye out for it.
-- Bob

(05-01-2019, 09:23 AM)robkelk Wrote: I just gave 108.210.180.169 a three-day vacation from the wiki for adding text from TV Tropes after Bob told him not to.

The user has identified the text as his/her own work, so I've lifted the block.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Geth, you around?

Ecclytennysmithylove is pinging me on my message board about some message she left you that it's apparently very important you see.
-- Bob

(04-29-2019, 07:11 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(04-19-2019, 04:22 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Oh, and I put a query up on BuddyBoy's talk page, asking if he actually can speak/read/write English.  And I wrote it at a high-school/college level as an extra test.  Not difficult for a native speaker, but possibly a challenge for one who isn't.  If we get a short, inappropriate response, I'm inclined to do a test tempban just to see if we can get something more from him.

Okay, and it's been ten days since I posted that question, with no reply.  However, it's been eleven days since he last made a substantial edit.  Given the problems we've been having with the notification system, I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt right now.

He's back, with one edit ... that I have undone for being grammatically incorrect and having nothing to do with the page section that the edit was made to.

You may fire when ready, Bob.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Yeah, time to pull the trigger. Three-day tempban to get his attention.
-- Bob

Finally found ... well, created ... a page where it makes sense to have two photos on the main page. Her acting career spans a half-century, after all.

No need for a "two images" extension; a floating table fits the bill nicely.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown